Skidaway Island SP

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by thegoodlife, Mar 23, 2012.

1. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

We will be going to Skidaway April 4-8. Can anyone suggest some good campsites? Also, is anyone else here planning on camping there during this time? This will be our first time camping at this SP and first trip of the year. Very excited!

2. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Skidaway is our home away from home! Being only a short drive to Savannah, plus near where my husband works, we go to Skidaway a lot. Our three main criteria for choosing a site are: 1. positioned so that our dogs don't see too much that would cause them to bark alot or be a nuisance to others, 2. most or full shade (for the dogs) and 3. As close to the restrooms as possible.
    Most of the sites at Skidaway are very large and fairly private. My favorites are the outer sites in Loops 1 & 3. The sites in Loop 2 are often near standing water, so bugs can be an issue. Loop 4 is nice too, but could be quite a hike if you need to go in the middle of the night. [;)]
    If you have children, you may want to be in Loop 3, where the playground is.
    If you visit the GA State Parks website and choose Skidaway Island State Park please notice that the comfort station at the rear of the camping area (serves Loops 3 & 4) was being remodeled over the winter. I would make sure it is re-opened before choosing a site in those Loops.
    SISP has some nice hiking trails, including one that winds through a marsh. There is a nature center, too. The campground is paved which allows for easy bicycling. Some older kids even play with sidewalk chalk on the roads.
    And if you do take bikes, you can ride to the town square just outside of the park. There are a couple quaint shops and restaurants there, plus a small ($$) grocery store.
    Just before the drawbridge at Skidaway (on the right at the light) is a Kroger Grocery, Subway, Take-out Pizza Hut, Omelet House, an Oriental take-out restaurant, and a gas station.
    Unfortunately, we made reservations for another campground for Easter weekend, or we'd probably be camping there.
    One last note-there is road construction around the drawbridge area, as they are replacing the old drawbridge with a new, higher bridge. When the construction first started, I thought we'd forget about camping there because of the traffic headaches it would cause. But to my surprise, we haven't had any issues getting on or off the island!
    I hope you enjpoy SISP. Maybe we'll see you there sometime.
    Happy Camping!

3. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

Thanks for the info on SISP. We are really looking forward to our trip.

4. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Sure! I believe they have some Easter events going on for the kids on Saturday, if you have children. You can check out their website.

5. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

They do have some events going on. I checked the site out before making reservations. We have 3 girls, 16, 12, and 7 yrs old.

6. cray374

cray374 New Member

We stayed there this past Sept. and really enjoyed it. Very convient to Savannah but you don't feel like you are in the city. They didn't clear cut between the sites, so you have a "living wall" of trees and shrubs between you and your neighbors. Enjoy!!

7. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Thegoodlife, what did you think of Skidaway Island State Park? My family was there for Spring Break when you posted your initial post. We traveled from Illinois and spent almost a week. We're interested in what you thought of it!

8. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

We really liked the park. What we didn't like was the bugs. Definately had to keep bug spray handy. We were on site 12 and it was a great location. It was close to the bathroom and had trees on both sides that gave us privacy from our neighbors. We saw alot more bikes being ridden in the CG than we usually see when camping. We spent alot of time in Savannah and Tybee Island.

Bob Lablaw, what did you think of the park?

9. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

What did you think of Tybee Island?

10. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

We enjoyed the time we spent at Skidaway Island. We liked the pull through sites that were absolutely huge. We were by the 2nd shower house and near the playground. I noticed that the 3rd shower house was still being built. DS and DD spent quite a bit of time riding their bikes around the campground. We got there on St. Patrick's Day and found the campground to be quite full, but still quiet (different than some private campgrounds we have stayed in on holiday weekends).

You are absolutely correct about the bugs. Being from Illinois, we're no strangers to mosquitoes, but we were caught unaware the first evening and DS ended up with many bites. We lived in DEET after that and all was good!

Tybee Island was enjoyable as well. We liked the beaches. We also spent quite a bit of time in Savannah, eating as much as we could!

11. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

The last time we were in the Savannah area was 9 yrs ago. We stayed in a motel on Tybee Island on that trip. We walked to the beach from the motel and that worked out great.

This time when we went to Tybee there were a few things I didn't like. First of all we spent most of the day in Savannah before going to the beach so we just took our swimsuits with us. The only restrooms we saw at the beach were at the pier and they had signs stating that they were not to be used for changing clothes. We still changed in them anyway. I will not let anyone get in my truck with wet clothes on and I think it is rediculous that they don't have changing rooms at the beach. Also, they had only 1 shower that was only to be used for washing the sand off your feet. We normally go to the beach in Pensacola, FL where they have changing rooms and plenty of showers to rinse off with.