Skidaway Island State Park, Savannah Georgia

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by speckhunter80, Nov 30, 2013.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Spent the night of Nov. 23 thru noon on the 25th at the park in site #66. Prior to going read dozens of reviews and most mentioned the size of the campsites. Without a doubt they are the biggest I have seen. I would say the average size is 80'x100' with some bigger. All sites are pull thru. Since the water and electrical is right beside the road, to take full advantage of the size of the sites you need a minimum of 50' of water line and 50' of electrical. However, 25' of each will be plenty if you don't mind being close to the road.

70 sites have water and electrical hookups with 17 more also having sewer hookups. All but 13 of the sites had cable television hookups. 37 sites are 30amp max while the other 50 have 20/30/50amp hookups. The sites are grouped into 4 sections with a total of 3 bathhouses. Our bathhouse in area #3 was pretty new. The men's side had a urinal, two commodes and two large showers. The ladies had three commodes and two large showers. A separate unisex handicap bathroom had a commode and shower. They all were very clean. All bathhouses also have washers and dryers to wash your clothes. Normally, at this point I would tell you what sites to avoid and what sites to get. I honestly did not see any bad sites and since you can not reserve a specific site, you have the opportunity to drive around and pick the site you want from what is available.

The park itself has several trails that pass thru forests and along tidal saltwater marshes. Along the trails you can observe Civil War fortifications in addition to lots of wildlife. One of the trails leads to an observation tower. The park is app. 12 miles from exit 94 on I-95 and also 12 miles from the Historic district of downtown Savannah and Paula Deen's Lady and Sons Restaurant. Only 3 miles from the park is the Wormsloe State Historic Site for which you can get a $2 off admission coupon from the campground staff. Even though the park is surrounded by housing developments, it was very quiet.

If visiting Savannah(which you should be doing), I recommend you park at the Visitor's Center on MLK Blvd. This building also houses the GA Museum of History; the Railroad Museum and Children's Museum are next door. Parking on the weekend is free and during the week $7 per day or a 2-day pass can be purchased for $12. This is also the home base for all the sightseeing tours including the Old Towne Trolley, Olde Savannah, Blue line, Ghost tours. It is also a departure point for the free DOT bus that will take you to most of the same stops the other tours that charge $12-$15 a person go to. This is a deal and I recommend it. You can always buy a guide book to get the history lesson.

This is a campground and park that I definitely recommend and will return to again.

2. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great place. We drove through Savannah last year but didn't get a chance to check out Skidaway. We have friends that are going there in April for Spring Break. Sounds like they made a great choice.

3. esgordon123

esgordon123 New Member

Gonna have to check this out. Thanks for the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. katherine726

katherine726 New Member

I can concur that this is a great park.

My husband and our three sons stayed here for 3 nights in April 2014. Beautiful park, huge sites in the trees. Loop #4 has the newest bathrooms.

Just a short trip to downtown Savannah - but you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. Loved it!

5. SheriandVance

SheriandVance New Member

Awesome review - we're staying there 11-6 thru 11-10 on a delayed anniversary getaway. Can't wait. Love the lowcountry!

6. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Thanks for the review. We are planning a trip to Savannah and was wondering what campground to stay at. speckhunter80, I was hoping that you were going to post some pics of this campground.

Campit

7. oldstick

oldstick New Member

One of our favorite state parks in GA. Probably tied with Cloudland Canyon in the northwest corner of GA

8. RoughingIt

RoughingIt New Member

Spent 4 nights at Skidaway Island State Park and as everyone else has noted, it was great. We were visiting over Easter weekend and the park staff did a great job with activities for the kids.

Sites were huge and very private. We had 2 vehicles and the PUP on our site and still had room to throw a frisbee. We had a full hookup site as well.

Very nice trails for riding bikes and the nature center was great as well.

Highly recommend and I will plan on revisiting in the near future.

9. oldstick

oldstick New Member

The main drawback to Skidaway, for me, is that the only access route (that I know of) requires towing into the heavy city traffic for some distance. But I suppose that is common with all coastal areas due to the expense of building bridges.

10. speckhunter80

When I was there a year and a half ago they were building a bridge that will make it more of a straight shot off I-95 and avoid some of the city traffic. I would think it is close to finished if not done by now.

11. speckhunter80

Just look and it appears to be open. Get off on Hwy204/Abercorn Expressway/Street to Truman Parkway(new bridge) after crossing bridge take right on Whitfield Ave/Diamond Causeway/204 to left into park

12. RoughingIt

RoughingIt New Member

Speckhunter80 is correct. The park is super easy to get to via exit off of I95. Straight shot to the bypass and exit to the park. Construction has been completed.

13. oldstick

oldstick New Member

That is great, then. Been a few years since we were down there and I never would have known. Thanks for the info.