Skidway campground

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by georgiadave, Jan 24, 2013.

1. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

Anyone ever camped here! would love some info! planning on going around march! Thanks

2. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Yes! We went to Skidaway last March for a week and loved it! I think many, if not all of the sites are pull through and pretty roomy. I would have to check which site we had for sure, it was maybe 27 or so, near the bath house. The first weekend of our week there, turned out to be St. Patrick's weekend and do NOT go there then if you are not purposely wanting to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! We did not realize how heavily it was celebrated in Savannah. We had reservations, but at that time we didn't get to choose a site ahead of time, so there were two sites left open to choose from, and luckily one of them was a pretty good one (the other was next to the dump station!) After that weekend was done, almost everyone left, and we practically had the campground to ourselves. We definitely hope to return there. They had laundry facilities right there at the bath house, and the bath house itself was pretty decent. The staff was super friendly. Decent playgrounds for the kids. I will look for a picture of our site if you'd like to see it.

3. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

Thanks for the info would also love to see picture

4. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

I looked at the campground map, we had site 26, I'm pretty sure.

[​IMG]

5. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

Thanks for the pic it looks pretty there are the caming spots close together or do you have a little privacy

6. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

It's hard to remember exactly what other sites were like, other than ours. The sites seemed fairly roomy, but there was very little undergrowth between sites so we could see other sites. I think there may have been some sites on the back loop with less growth between them and other sites, but we cannot remember exactly since we were in the first loop and only took walks around the back loop.

Since the sites are pull through, the campers are close to the road, but the door is away from the road, which offers more privacy as well.

7. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

Thank you for your help! I'm looking forward to going there

8. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

I think you will really enjoy it! Here is one more picture of the kids taking a walk through the campground. Our daughter called it her "magical forest" because of all of the Spanish moss hanging everywhere. Since you are from Georgia, this may be something you already know, but we did go through a lot of bug spray when we were there in March. Kind of a surprise to us, since we don't have bugs in Illinois that early, but luckily we are always well-stocked with spray! It was fairly warm that week, in the mid-80s. Not sure if that is typical weather or not.

[​IMG]

9. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

georgiadave, this is our go-to campground for a quick get-a-way, as we live close by. Not sure exactly what info you are looking for... The sites are relatively large, especially on the outer circumference of the campground. They are level as well. As far as private, many are close to the road, but the hook-ups are streetside. Some people use extension cords and longer water hoses to park further from the road for privacy. There are three restroom/shower buildings. The one in campground #3 is one year old (see not at bottom), but all are kept nice and clean. There is a small playground area behind the restroom in campground #2, and a larger playground area across from the campground entrance. The street is paved--good for sidewalk chalk drawings, hopscotch, and scooter/bike-riding for kids. There is a nature museum, two nice trails, and almost daily nature talks/activities provided by park staff. Toward the back of the campground, deer will often visit in the dusk-to-dawn hours.
    Personally, I would NOT go there during St. Patrick's Day festivities, as the whole town of Savannah is just one big party crowd-not my idea of entertainment. There are just too many people and too much traffic.
    Outside of the park is the small village of Skidaway with a library, grocery store, gas station, pharmacy, and some specialty shops. Across the causeway on the mainland, about 2 miles, is a Kroger, a breakfast restaurant, Subway, Pizza Hut and Chinese take-outs, and a gas station.
    They are doing some road construction on the causeway, but it has never delayed traffic when we were visiting.

Now, if you are planning on going, I would check the GA State Parks website for public notices regarding Skidaway, or call the park prior to your stay for accurate information. Restroom #3 was rebuilt last winter, and I think they are doing more upgrading and renovations this winter. There is a note on the website that says drinking water, cable, etc. are not available at this time, and that some campgrounds are closed.