Skin on pop up camper roof.

Odie2013

Jun 15, 2017
Hi the skin for a lack of a better work seems to have separated from the wood on my pop up camper. How do I fix this.
Also what should I apply to give this an extra coating of sealant. Is either of these recommended?
Thanks
Dale

Attachments

• 05116FC9-871E-4C92-A8DA-20849F452067.jpeg
    05116FC9-871E-4C92-A8DA-20849F452067.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 96475757-A1ED-416E-A479-AF3DA247ECB2.jpeg
    96475757-A1ED-416E-A479-AF3DA247ECB2.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 14

Odie2013

Jun 15, 2017
More info is needed. Make, model, year? Photo of the problem? For example, if you’re dealing with the ABS roof issues, there are established techniques to deal with them.
It’s a 2007 starlight model2107 I’ll grab a photo in the daylight

Odie2013

Jun 15, 2017
I tried to post video but I can’t. Some places I touch it’s stuck others you can feel separation

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
ABS is a type of material roofs, such as on Coleman popups, ere made from. It tends to crank, and/or delaminate. Yours sort of looks like a textured aluminum one.
You might want to look through this section and see if you find one thread that looks like your roof. https://www.popupportal.com/forums/roof-floor-repair-maintenance.53/

I'm still camping with funky internet so I can't give you too many links for the moment

Odie2013

Jun 15, 2017
ABS is a type of material roofs, such as on Coleman popups, ere made from. It tends to crank, and/or delaminate. Yours sort of looks like a textured aluminum one.
You might want to look through this section and see if you find one thread that looks like your roof. https://www.popupportal.com/forums/roof-floor-repair-maintenance.53/

I'm still camping with funky internet so I can't give you too many links for the moment
Thanks will do tomorrow. Don’t think it’s aluminum, but could be wrong. It did have a little damage before I purchased it 7 years ago. But I put marine silicone ( good luck separating it) to seal the possible crack.
Tried to post video but couldn’t.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
As per your picture that is a fiberglass roof.

Only way I could think of to fix separation of the roof would be to drill small holes in the affected area and get epoxy into that area thru the holes. Then apply a weight to hold the roof back down in place and carefully seal up the holes after.

It would be a some work, but could come out looking well if you take your time.

Of course, the first step is to determine where the water ingressed from and correct that first, and only proceed if the roof is not full of rot...

As far as the products you showed in the photo, I don't have experience with them so cannot recommend yes or no.

My dealer here recommended dicor lap sealant around my vent and proflex clear sealant for everything else and I've had good experiences with those products.

nitrohorse

May 27, 2015
NE Pennsylvania
Dave is correct. Your roof is FRP, or fiberglass reinforced plastic. The reason for your delamination is water infiltration. You must fix the cause first before fixing damage. Short of replacing the plywood under the FRP, I would try to drill holes in the center of the delamination bubble and use a marinade injector to inject adhesive. Follow that with some weight on top of the area and live with the results. My concern would be where the water is entering as that you will need to address before gluing down the roof.

My previous 2 PUPs I used Henry's Tropi-Cool 100% silicone to coat the roof. It's good against puddled standing water and has a lifetime guarantee.