Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Mountains East Coast Rally 6/22 to 7/1/2012

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Storm Trooper, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Glad you and Emily can make it for the week.
    At his point, I'm planning on going I-84 west to I-81 south to avoid the hassles going down I-95.
    It's about a 1/2 hour longer if you don't have any traffic jams along I-95 and possibly much shorter.
    A much nicer ride too. Just a bit hilly.

2. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Lou -
    Do you think it's better to do 84-87-287-78 to 81? You would avoid Scranton PA. It's always a mess of traffic at 81&84. What's you opinion?

-Chris

3. 5Patricks@13

5Patricks@13 New Member

Is there electric and water hookups at this campsite? We are new to camping and haven't "roughed" it without hookups....[:!].....we have 5 gal coleman water containers and a battery....advice on additional preparation would be appreciated!

We drove through skyline drive while heading to FLA in 2004. Passed this CG and lots of wildlife. Even saw bear cubs playing along the road. Seems like a great place, just need to get over our "dependance" on the hookups.

4. mercman

No hook ups here but if you have a battery and water tank, you'll be fine. Most of my camping is without hookups and never have a problem.

It's a great park, hope you can join us.

5. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

This will be our first time completely without hookups too. We're still in the process of getting our water and 12V systems to work again. I hope to have a solar charger and LED lights by the time we get there.

6. Storm Trooper

Scott,
    Chris is right about no hookups. Go to the 1st page of this thread and you will find the info you will need to get a site near the rest of us. Anything I didn't cover there, feel free to ask.

Chris, I've never had much of a problem going thru Scranton, but that may be the times that I have gone thru.
    However, 87,287 to 78 I have always found very busy. Not like 95, but more busy than 84 to 81.
    Either way is better than 95 though... [;)]

7. mercman

For those of you who are going without hookups for the 1st time, For a reference point, I go at least 4 days with usage (conservatively but use it if I need it) before I switch to my second battery. I do not have LED's.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

And keep in mind that the area we are in is shaded so you may not get 100% out of a solar hookup. Some sections of the campground are "Generator-Free" zones but where we are generators are permitted (just not appreciated).

9. Storm Trooper

Just a note for anyone still thinking about making a reservation.
    I checked this morning and there are about 16 sites left in the shady or mostly shady areas.
    Make your reservation now. [;)]

10. kpthook

kpthook New Member

Well after lurking and heming and hawing (sp?) and reading some positive comments decided to go for it. lol. I enjoy visiting VA. Looks like fun and a nice campground. Have E193 for 6/21-6/28.

For those like me who were trying to get an idea of what the site looks like if you've never been, [www.flashearth.com] has great resolution imagery. lat 38 41 44.4 lon 78 26 8.2 will get you to the middle of the campground mol. Select the Bing maps.

11. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Welcome to the rally it going be a great one!!!!!!! How many adults and kids are coming?

12. kpthook

kpthook New Member

Possibly my DS and DD depending on their schedules and maybe my mom at 83 who still likes to camp.

13. Michoshisho

Michoshisho Member

Hey all. I'm looking make my reservations this weekend for the first weekend of the rally. Any big meadows frequent fliers who can give me any intel on the remaining sites available? I would like to find a site that has at least some level-ish ground for an outdoor kitchen. The reservation website lets you know whether the driveway has slight vs moderate grade, but not much about the site itself. Any info would be helpful for those who may have stayed there in the past. In particular, I'm looking at F202 or G207, but am also open to suggestions. I've stayed at Big Meadows, but always in B loop with tenters. I know enough about the campground to know that each site is VERY different. Don't know anything about the loops most of you have booked. Thanks in advance.

14. Michoshisho

Michoshisho Member

Okay,okay, I'm impatient. Just booked two sites for June 22-24. I'm taking F202, and my friend Alan is taking G207. Can't wait!

15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Perhaps this will help.

The area in red is the area of the campground where the rally will be held. as you can see, it's quite wooded. I was there in 2008 and it's very nice.

16. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Hey Steve are you Bering your cat along ?

17. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Yup [CAT]

18. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

It look like i well be Bering Oreo with me i well have to see.

19. DobeFanatic

DobeFanatic Age is only a State of Mind

I would like to consider a rally like this, but have a question: is it likely I could pull up those hills with a Chrysler Town N Country mini-van?
    It has a tow package/tranny cooler, capable to 3500#. Camper packed is likely close to 2900#.

20. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Getting up to the Skyline Drive is no big deal. Coming up from FL you would most likely come up 81 to Harrisonburg and then take 33 to the Shift Run Gap entrance. Or if you come up 95, take 64 west to Charlottesville, then 29 north to 33 west to come at it from the other direction. As I remember that entrance, the approach from the east was not that bad.

To see the trip in action and get an idea of the grade of the hills, click on these Google Maps links. Once the map comes up, zoom in on the starting point (A). Then, on the left-side, just to the left of where it says "Driving directions to Unknown road", click on the "3D" button. This will display a 3D moving map of the route. You need a decent Internet connection for this to work properly.

http://g.co/maps/77zgt From the West

http://g.co/maps/4x62g From the East

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.