Slamming door

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by yarzy, Jun 8, 2015.

1. yarzy

yarzy Member

Hi everyone, is there anything I can install on my Fleetwood that would prevent the door from slamming? I feel like I put put some sort of spring, etc or pad but I am not sure what is offered. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

I have ben thinking about some sort of soft close mechanism from a cabinet door, but have yet to try one out.

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I removed the spring at the top that is supposed to help close the door because I hate the sound of that door slamming shut.

The other thing you can do is to add self stick felt or rubber pads between the door and frame. I have cut them to fit nicely.

These are from the Mart of Wal.
    [​IMG]

4. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Yep, that'll drive a person crazy!

I was just gonna say, there are at least two ways to tackle the problem.

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Use a cattle prod and negative reinforcement to teach people to use the equipment properly. (I tried positive reinforcement but that didn't work for long either. [;)])
    [*]Use a small door closer. You don't have to scream at anyone and it will never say "I forgot".
    [/list]

6. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

This is really easy to fix. Please tell everyone to stop slamming the door, and tell them the consequences of doing so will result in a severe beating with a pine branch followed by a traditional campfire stoning, followed then by a multiple poking with a hot marshmallow stick.

I wouldn't recommend an auto closer, because they are typically rated for a heavier door. Using an auto closer would help the slamming, but would probably do more damage by bending the door during exit. The valving inside an auto closer isn't designed for such a light door. As an alternative you could use some very thin neoprene weather stripping where the door meets the jamb, but limit the amount you put on the jamb and only put it on the latch side of the door. Instead of striking with that metallic crash, it will only thud and rattle. BTW, that rattle is the upper window slider, and you're not likely to stop that even with the weatherstripping.

7. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

I've put some weather stripping around the door jams to cushion it when it closes. You can find all sorts of weather stripping at Home Depot or lowes and all sorts of size. Just something moderately thin with adhesive backing.

It has definitely helped. It does not sound so load anymore when the door closes.

"... may the campsite be available and the local attraction be great at your next campground. Happy camping, camper!"

8. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

Maybe a lighter spring.
    Or possibly removing the spring altogether, and instead using a piece of rope or paracord or cable with a centerhung weight to assist with closing.

I have a few of those cabinet door slamming preventer thingies in my garage, I may try to fab something up....

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Literally made me laugh out loud! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

10. billy1

billy1 New Member

I used the loop side of Velcro tape cut into small pieces and placed it around the door edge. This created the cushion needed to quiet the door.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I used thin foam used for sealing around a door, it has glue on the back for easy attachment.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I did the same thing. It did help with that slamming shut noise. But the DW and DS know to close the door and not let it slam shut.