Sleep with Mr. Buddy Heater on?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by JungleJim, Apr 10, 2011.

1. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I've read that the manufacturer states to not sleep with the Mr. Buddy Heater running.

Does anyone here sleep with their Mr. Buddy running (with proper ventilation?)

2. dav1966

dav1966 New Member

we sleep with ours on when the chill is on never had a problem they are built in with safety's like low o2,if they tilt over, just need to keep a little open space about 6x9 or it wont stay lit needs fresh air we even used it tentin and had no problems.

3. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

I don't do it. It does have a low oxygen shutoff, but that doesn't warn you if carbon monoxide builds up. There may not be a big risk from carbon monoxide, but I don't like to take a risk that can easily be avoided. I prefer to use an electric heater if I have power at the campsite or just make sure that I have a good sleeping bag. I only use the Big Buddy when I'm awake. My PUP also has a vented furnace that would be safe to use while sleeping, but I don't like the noise from the fan so I don't use that at night either.

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Do it all the time in the ice shack.The manufacturer has to say that to keep their butts covered against liability. I would suggest however if you are going to do it get a CO detector if you don't have one already.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

To do it you would need to have two windows partially open for cross ventilation. I've seen some articles where they say that under such conditions you lose about 50% of the heat the heater is generating. So, to use it with any degree of safety you have to be very inefficient.

As for the warning existing to protect the manufacturer from liability that's true but you have to think about why such liability protection is necessary. These warnings are published because at least one incident actually occurred.

Another point is that unlike the WAVE heaters which are catalytic, the Buddy heaters use an open flame so they present more of a fire hazard. If anything flammable touches the front of the Buddy you can expect it to ignite almost immediately.

I would not sleep with it running.

6. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

This year marks the 10th year we have used the MrBuddy heater. Not the original one, that one has been replaced. So to answer your question, yes ... many, many nights ... using the 16oz disposable canisters and then switching over to the refillable 20 pounder and 8' connecting hose/line, and long ago lost count of the tanks consumed.

Common sense dictates some simple precaution steps in using the heater, the first being where the heater is placed and ensuring nothing gets draped over the heater while in operation. Fire should be the #1 concern - oxygen depletion and CO poisoning are by far secondary precautions. The panels on the door on my Starcraft open either from the top or the bottom, and so when using the MrBuddy I crack the bottom panel to the 1" setting. Then I unzip a bunk end window at each end just ample enough so there is a three way ventilation. More importantly however, where the heater is safely set and what's around it, making sure flamables are a distance away.

As for those warning labels, do believe they are more for the roving sea of lawyers who are scouring to and fro for any crack in the consumer product safety code.

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We turn ours off at night and snuggle under a good down comforter. We have camped close to freezing OK. Although Mr Heater is completely safe, it is peace of mind issue for me.

8. Skipper03

Skipper03 New Member

We left ours on 24/7, camping in 3-4 feet of snow, hunting season ya know, anyway no problems at all. Big Buddy, left one side on while sleeping or it got too warm (for me only tho) [SNZ]

9. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

Super post; appreciate the hands-on knowledge here.

10. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I don't sleep with mine on. But, the stove also says not to use to warm the camper. But, how many of us have done that too! I will raise my hand as I did that back in January during the early morning hours we were camping.

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

The cook stove, like older types of radiant heaters (like posted below), simply have an open flame and not all the fuel is consumed - called incomplete combustion - and therein lies the problem. The difference between those two and the MrBuddy heater is that the fuel is burned over a ceramic cube that gets hotter than Hades. When the technology that MrBuddy heater uses first came out the test revealed that something like 99.99% of the fuel was consumed. To prevent oxygen depletion (the MrBuddy heater burning all the available oxygen), it has a low oxygen cut off valve, which has proven to work very well.

[​IMG]

12. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I know that. I was just making a point. If you vent the area, you will be okay. But, I still don't think one should take the risk. One reason I don't sleep with my Mr. Buddy on is just in case someone gets up in the middle of the night to go to the potty. I don't want anyone to accidentally knock it over or push anything up against it.

13. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I think it's very unwise. You don't feel carbon monoxide poisoning; you just drift off and die. Too big a risk when there are safer options available.

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

15. RangerBill

RangerBill New Member

We use our Mr. Buddy all the time. Just leave the door window open a crack. Our biggest issue is that unless it's really, really cold Mr. Buddy gets the PUP pretty warm - even on the lowest setting.

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

We are used to sleeping W/O heat, even at home the heat gets turned off at nite, even if its below zero outside

17. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Boy, the fridge fires really seem to take center stage. Makes one really think ice!