Sleeping and camper shaking

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by cuisinartoh, Jul 17, 2015.

1. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I have to say, I've never had shaking problems with the pup or the HTT. Here's what I do!

First I'd chock the wheels, front and back. I'd level front to back first. This meant maybe or maybe not using wood blocks for my tongue pole to stand on. Then I'd move on to the stabs. First I'd lower them and crank them JUST enough to make a good solid contact with the ground (or Lynx block(s) or wood). Once that was done, I'd go inside and stand in the center of the pup, square my legs up and wiggle my fluffy self front to back. Ok, check, no movement. Then I'd do the same dance side to side. I swear, it sounds stupid, but I could tell exactly which stab(s) needed more pressure. Go out and adjust, dance like an idiot again, and viola!! Rock solid playground!! [A] [A] I also use this "method" with the HTT and it works just as well!

The surface you're on can make a huge difference too. That's why I carry Lynx blocks (only 3 sets so far!!) & wood both. The Lynx blocks tend to sink a bit on dirt, especially WET dirt (like mentioned above), so a good piece of wood under it works wonders.

My trip to SC for the Low Country Boil Rally was a near disaster with the HTT. The site actually looked a lot more level than it was. I ended up with two 1x6s under the door side wheels, along with 2 layers of Lynx blocks. The stabs on that side also were massively built up with wood & Lynx blocks. While it was extremely sturdy, it left my bottom step about a foot off the ground!! Being disabled, even the assist handle wasn't getting it. Two of the camp hosts were SO very kind and loaned me their home made bottom step. SAVED my trip!! And I now have the wood cut to make my own first step and a place to store it until I need it. I'll also credit them for backing me in. This spot had trees in the way of other trees!![A]

Don't be afraid to put a little pressure on your stabs. No, they're NOT meant to raise the wheels off the ground!! But a good solid setting is what you want. Try the dance. If you wiggle, you need more stab pressure. [;)]

Good luck!!

[:D]

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Never had the camper shake like that

2013 Rockwood 1980
    2015 Ford Explorer

3. scrt95019

scrt95019 Member

Now just have to add bracing to the bunk end... It seems to be tilting downwards at the outer end....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. uploon

uploon Member

^^^+1 on Jeff's setup for our Utah. I also use scraps of 2x6 under each stabilizer to give a larger footprint.

It works for me, your mileage may vary.

Cheers, JC

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

6. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

7. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

I must be a real heavy sleeper cause I don't even notice when my DW gets up to use the toilet in the middle of the night. It might be the size and style of PUP. I think if you chock the wheels tight and put just enough pressure on stabs it shouldn't be real noticeable. When my DD was younger she always brought a friend or 2 along and they would bounce around on the bunk for a while, not jumping up and down, just moving around a lot and I never had a problem falling asleep. I have had more problems sleeping during high wind storms and lightning storms, not heavy rain so much.

8. cuisinartoh

cuisinartoh Member

Hi everyone, I wanted to give an update and to say thanks for all the replies. We went out for our first real trip this past weekend. Chocking the wheels tight, using a 2x6 under each stab, and putting a little more pressure on each stab helped, but I could still feel my 6 year old in the opposite bunk squirming around, but it was less pronounced. I will consider a BAL wheel chock and see if that might help. Otherwise, I may chalk it up to the Utah being so long that the simple lever arm action is working against me, especially with king sized beds hanging out past the stabs. Still, we had a blast and it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks!

9. Sinyk

Sinyk New Member

Not wanting to hijack your topic but my PUP only has two stabilizers in the rear and nothing at the front. Is it safe to use some scissor jacks in the front corners of the PUP to help prevent camper shaking? Any other suggestions? My little guy moves around a lot too. Almost everywhere we camp is about as level as can be.

10. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

I flask of Eagle Rare usually fixes that issue.

11. M-88

M-88 Member

I feel bad for whoever gets to sleep on the other end of the P'up with me. I flop around like a fish at night.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Try this crane stablizer... Nevermind I seem cannot download picture...

13. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

We also only have rear stabs. We use stack jacks on the corners and this REALLY helps a lot.

14. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Besides the stabilizers themselves, BY FAR the best stability gain I have received is from the BAL Leveler and the BAL Single Axle Chock in tandem.

15. Sinyk

Sinyk New Member

I looked into the BAL leveler as it is brought up frequently here, but the price is tough to swallow up North. I can't find it anywhere less than $150+. Sucks when I read so many posts about people getting then for $100 and under.

I have never seen those stack jacks. Looks like those might work well! I assume you don't want to use them for leveling as you would twist the frame, right?

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Stack jacks were all the stabilizers that we had on our first pup, but the time we bought it the two (rear) original stabs were toast. At first, we could only use the stack jacks on the rear, and then only of the site allowed. Once we renovated it, we made it so we could use all four. That made a huge difference in stability. We placed the front two on the A-frame, location depended on the site, but the closer we could place them to the widest part of the A-frame, the more stable it was.
    And yes, the stack jacks are just for stabilizing a pop-up, as with any other stabilizer, using them for leveling risks frame damage.

Chocking tires well, using a rubber mallet as needed also helps stability.

With our first pup, along with finally being able to use 4 stabs, one thing that helped movement was the discovery that the short section of wall between the door and front bunk was no longer secured to the floor. Fixing that helped.

Even with all stabs and chocks snug, I still notice footfalls as we move about the camper (we now have a TT). I think, for me, part of the issue is that we live in a house with a slab foundation, and I am no longer accustomed to vibrations from footfalls, sliding chairs, etc.

17. Sinyk

Sinyk New Member

I have only found stack jacks listed for sale at Walmart of all places, and only in a pack of 4 for about $60. I should call around to some RV dealers.

18. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

19. Sinyk

Sinyk New Member