Sleeping on the pup floor with the top still latched down- On the road

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by davekro, Feb 18, 2020.

1. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

EDIT 2/19/20:
    So this option has been fully played out to be a no-go. Thank you all for indulging my obsession. See post #21 for my climb in and try it results.
    [;)]

While on the road driving to a multi day drive destination, has anyone ever slept inside your pup w/o raising the roof (at all)?

We have not yet taken a long distance trip where the destination was more than a one-day drive away. But we have one in mind to the Grand Canyon at some point. So I was initially thinking of how I could pop the top up a little, and slide one bunk out just enough for the two of us to sleep overnight and continue driving the next day w/o actually setting the pup up (creating a bunk support inside and out). Yesterday, I decided to see if it would be possible to just open the door, leave the roof clamped down and sleep on the floor. The answer appears to be YES!

For our 10' box '99 Starcarft Stardust, the folded over sink leaves enough leg room height, but the back splash supporting it on the floor splits the legs' area in to 1' and 2' wide spaces. So... When we know we are going to want to non-setup sleep in the pup on the road to our far away destination, I realized that, before leaving, I could easily remove the back splash (≈ 7 screws), create one or two supports out of 1x3's. One piece across the top supported by a 1x3 leg against each side of the pup interior to support the weight of the folded over sink.

We arrange cushions on the floor, roll out our sleeping bags and sleep, albeit cozily in a 3' wide by 75" long floor space. We can even lock the door from the inside. :)

We could stop at a designated campground, truck stop, or residential area and be very secure. Depending on how safe other options like a Walmart parking lot feels, that might be an option too.
    (and always thinking ahead... How would this work for the 2007-2008 Fleetwood Sun Valley (12'box) that we hope to move up too when we find a good one? My best estimate from the floor plan in the '07 brochure is that with our heads towards the 'U-couch', I'd have 72" from the bench seat to the folded down sink/stove. On the door side, my wife would have 59" from the seat to the entry way cabinet. Oh, and the sleeping space with would be a roomier 4'2" ! ! :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I couldn't take that.
    I can't do an enclosed MRI.

3. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

People sleep in worse every night, but I would think it would be very uncomfortable after the first half hour.

It would become cramped, the air stagnant, and become very hot in summer when most travel. Knocking a few hours out in the vehicle would be much more desirable imo.

The way I also see it if a trip to the Grand Canyon is within budget coming up with $20/50 for an overnight site should be well within an acceptable expense to be comfortable.

kcsa75, kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I dont think it takes all that much time to raise the roof compleatly. If you can get to the rear slide, use that bed only. Leave the front one in. Leave the TV hooked up to the pup. This will depend on if you can get to the rear bunk with the front bunk still in. Personally, maybe take a break and get a hotel for a night or two in between.

neighbormike and kcsa75 like this.
  5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

If it works for you go for it

Susan Premo and kcsa75 like this.
  6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Nope!! Lol....I basically have the space under the dinette table as inside storage.

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It would have been impossible in either of our popups. Even if it had been, no way would I have managed the closed in space, and being able to stand inside to get dressed and an easy breakfast was important. I did a cross country solo with overnight stops in both directions, and it didn't take much time to set up the pup. I had planned ahead to need a minimum set-up, but with both of those, there were things that had to be shifted one way or the other at set up-/take down.
    I look at it this way - it's good to move around when sitting in a vehicle all day, look at the set up and take down as part of that.

JustJan257 and kcsa75 like this.
  8. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Someone can come by and lock you in your own popup.

tzmartin likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I’ve used the closed popup as a hiding space when I played hide-n-seek when I was a kid. Back then I was skinny as a rail and way more flexible. Now I would feel 10x more closterphobic in such a tight space. Gosh forbid if I wake up with a nightmare. I can see myself cracking my skull open if I spring awake. I have slept in the car a few times and I would think far more comfortable.

1380ken and neighbormike like this.
  10. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that would be claustrophobic! Like sleeping in a coffin.

There's no room on the floor to sleep in a Fleetwood SunValley because the sink/galley swings down on the floor, and the couch area is too small.

When we stay overnight for only 1 night we do popup, but take an extreme minimalist approach beyond getting the roof up, and beds pulled out. After that we just unroll sleeping bags and sleep on mattresses. No further setup until at our permanent destination.

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When we had the Pup we kept everything -- lawn chairs, rug, E-Z Up, etc. -- in the camper. After unloading all that stuff, popping the top was not that big a deal. When we went to Yellowstone NP, we did one-night stops twice. It would have been three, but we rolled into Rawlings, WY about 9 p.m. and there was not a campsite to be had. So we stayed in a motel. [LOL][LOL]

I don't know if I could do what you describe but I'm with gladecreekwy, if it works for you knock yourself out.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

No way could we pull that off haha... We store a lot items in the floor area of the popup trailer. The fold over sink and stove top does not leave much room either... When we arrive at camping site with hookups we will unload all of the floor area on the picnic table and get the top raised...

We can sleep in the truck over night - very comfortable... The two front seats will fold all the way back and is pretty comfortable... You do lose any moving around room however haha... This is what we do pulling into a WALMART for over-nite... Also have sleeping bags where we could sleep outside as well... There is usually just the two of us most of the time... I also have a trail tent like this one to use outside...

[​IMG]
    google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, this may we’ll be one of those ideas that is better in theory than practice. I think we’d be able to plan to keep the floor area pretty clear, maybe move one box or two into the TV. But, being winter now, heat and stuffy air did not occur to me. Also, out NTU Kia Sorento seats do lay flatter than previous cars we’ve had, so maybe sleeping in the front seats would’nt be bad. Time will tell. I’ll actually have to climb in there and see how it feels. Neither my wife and I are claustrophobic. Thanks for the thoughts on this ‘inside the box’ thinking, ha!ha!

HappyTraveler and kcsa75 like this.
  14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

If you are just setting up to sleep and that is all, it only takes about 10 minutes max. I think that is a pretty good investment for a good nights sleep. Depending upon route, you have campground choices along the way.

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that it would be difficult to get in and out when you have two people in there. Late night pee would be an issue.

kitphantom likes this.
  16. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Back many years ago when we owned our 2000 Santa Fe I always parked it inside my heated workshop.

[​IMG]

If for no other reason than I could I one time crawled inside to consider whether it would be practical to do exactly what you're proposing. My conclusion - you'd have to be NUTS, especially when all it takes is another few minutes to set the trailer up properly and use it as intended. :rolleyes:

kcsa75 and kitphantom like this.
  17. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Try doing a practice sleepover in your driveway with the top down!!

18. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

With two people? Maybe other campers are different but it would be completely impossible on ours. If you were very short and petite and didn't mind being a contortionist, sleeping on a hard floor, and not having any room to roll around, you *might* be able to have one person sleep, very uncomfortably.

I used to send my boys in to help load things with the top down but they are getting big enough now where that will soon be impossible.

kitphantom likes this.
  19. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t even think about it. The thought of being locked inside is terrifying

20. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

My floor space is full of gear so no room to sleep, I was thinking in the event of strong winds/storm weather, I could fold the seats of the car and sleep in that