Sleeping on the pup floor with the top still latched down- On the road

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by davekro, Feb 18, 2020.

1. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

As far as partially or fully popping the top up, this concept idea was more for sleeping were you would not be allowed or want to set up, even partially (Walmart, residential street or other place it might not feel safe).
    OK, I just went in and tried myself solo on top of the couch cushions. I am 6', 180 lbs. I can fit and sleep on my side (as I often do anyway) facing the door with knees bent poking into the doorway. To DW's amazement, I usually stay the way I fall asleep, so on my side I could easily sleep in this cocoon and personally be fine. I discovered that the space is actually only 33" wide, so that would leave only about 15" of space for DW. I doubt her shoulders and hips would allow her to sleep on her back like she does. So this would not fit for both of us. As someone previously mentioned, lack of air space, air flow, dissipation of ambient and body heat, would likely be an issue (not mention if any non propane 'gas leaks happened'! :shocked: ). If I was 'that' determined to actually try this (I am not), at least for just me, I could prop up the bench seat lid, pull the power cord in and place a small computer fan or similar blowing air in or out. Even for me, That's too much. ;). Other issues are while I could 'open' the door latch with my foot, I'd be hard pressed to be able to close it with my toes, and certainly NOT lock/unlock the tiny lever on the handle. I know none of you all will relate to this, but slithering out 1-2 times during the night to empty the bladder, would not be easy. I had not considered 'that' reality in my initial brainstorming. LOL

So this option has been fully played out to a no go. Thank you all for indulging my obsession.
    [;)]

HappyTraveler and JustRelax like this.
  2. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

3. davekro

Thanks for posting the stealth overnight. This is exactly what I was trying to accomplish.

This A-Liner's space width is similar to my (non highwall) pup's. But not the height, unfortunately. Looking at the wood top of the L & R seat cabinets, my 'ceiling' is only about 7" above the bench. I'd estimate he has about 14-15" more height than I do. This could work for two people laying on their backs if they slept with heads/shoulders at opposite ends. It would still be snugger than normal, but with the ability to sit up an be able to lift to roll from back to side sleeping, this might be doable. But we don't have or desire an A-Liner, so there's that.

grandpa mikey likes this.
  4. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I’d opt for sleeping in my SUV for a one nighter enroute to a distant park rather than cram into a tight floor space. I store everything in the camper so there is very little room as is.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

If you have a highwall camper like ours, it maybe doable. Since our trailer pop the top only take 1 minutes, we would never want to try it.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. davekro

We actually did this on our 4th of July Sequoia Nat'l Park Rally that Mo hosted. We had not 'planned' to need to sleep overnight on the 6 hour drive, but...
    Due to my still working on PUP projects on our 'leave in the morning day', we did not actually leave home until 6:00pm (I was in the dog house big time with DW!).
    Due a GPS change after we stopped for gas at about 11:00pm, we were to tired to notice it re-routed us after the gas station and added ≈ 30 mins to our already very late journey. We slept in the TV front seats very comfortably. These seats actually recline farther than usual, so that was a nice surprise! It was fine sleeping that way, totally. Silly me trying to do it the hard way!!! LOL

7. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I totally get why you were looking at doing this. Pups are not convenient when it comes to quick overnight stays. I'm looking at our tv and how we might be able to throw some sleeping bags in the back to catch some zzz's while trekking cross country rather than have to take the time to "pop the top". And in our case, we'd have to unhitch b/c we can't pull that bunkend out all the way, otherwise. We tried that last summer, and that was the night and following day of torrential down pours and since we didn't pull the bunkend out, we couldn't hook the canvas and it was a mess.
    Easier to just sleep in the tv; which is something we did all the years we were tent camping and trying to make tracks.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I see you have a G20 van. When our kids were growing up, we had a G20 and a queen sized air mattress fit perfectly in the rear. We would sleep with the youngest on the air mattress and the bench seats were big enough to sleep the older kids. I miss that van. Looking for another now.

9. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I was briefly looking for a nice used “little guy” camper for just this reason. Road trip trailer. I wanted the one with the kitchen inside. I showed my husband and he said “so you don’t want me to go on these trips?”

kitphantom and Dingit like this.