Sleepy Creek on the Potomic - Berkely Springs, WV

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by Tribble, May 7, 2014.

1. Tribble

Tribble New Member

This nice little place is a semi-permanent Campground with one major drawback.

Trains.

The campground is nestled between the Potomac river, Sleepy Creek, and a busy section of 2 lane train tracks.

While the campground is clean, and provides plenty of porta-johns. The constant train traffic every 20-30 minutes from both commuter and cargo trains elicits the need to wear earplugs even during the day. At night it gets even worse with regular air-horn blasts from each train that passes by.

On the plus side, there is an excellent playground for kids, exceptionally friendly staff, clean and maintained plastic outhouses, and plenty of river and creek frontage for fishing.

2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

If you camp there enough times, you will not need ear plugs anymore. [LOL]
    Ask the owner how often a train go's buy, he'll probably say "so often you'll never notice". [;)]

I have the CSX main that runs from Pittsburgh to Cumberland directly across the river from my house, I don't notice them anymore.

3. Tribble

Tribble New Member

I live within a half mile of a coal mine, with the constant train traffic in and out. The tracks here are about a football field away, and I sleep plenty well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk