Slide out models you like, especially Starcraft :)

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by davekro, Nov 19, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

We are considering upgrading to a pup with a slide out. Our side yard storage limits us to approx 15.5’ front tongue to bumper. Our current Starcraft Stardust 10’ box is 13.5’ T to Bmpr.

What brand & model floor plans do you like and why? We would be open to a 10’ box, 10’ box w/ front bin, or 12’ box w/o front bin.
    - Do these tend to come with electric roof lifts, or not necessarily?

- Are twin LPG tanks, or at least trays for them common on these? And a tray to fit a group 31 battery is likely, I’d guess.

- We don’t care to waste space with a toilet/shower, but know on 12’ box they are prevalent. (Although I learned what a cassette toilet was. Don’t seem bad. Are they a no brained good thing?

-Are slide outs always the dinette? Do some have ‘less high’ step ups, or is the ht. pretty standard?

-What’s with those tilt out, sorta Bay Window deals by the kitchen? Does that add a bit more spacious feeling, or not really?

- Are slide outs usually manual (I hope )?

- What do you store in your front bin? How big a plus is the bin, or not that big a deal?

- Am I correct to assume that generally, the axle would be 2’ further back from the tongue on both the 10’ w/box & 12’ (w/o box) vs. the 10’ w/o box? I am very used to towing a tandem boat trailer, so getting the ‘very close’ to TV axle even 2’ further back has to alleviate the hair trigger backing of the 10’ (and oye 8’ boxes ;) ) somewhat.

Lots of questions ‘cuz I m curious. ;o

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have a Fleetwood Utah and I love having a slideout and cassette toilet. My unit will be too long for your needs as it has a front trunk. a thing to note... When closed, the slideout takes up a whole lot of interior storage space. So trying to find room for your outside gear, carpet, gray water tank etc will be very limited without a front bin.
    On popups, slide outs are manual, as far as electric lift I’m thinking the newer units may have them more often than the older ones.
    My tongue space is limited on my unit. I’m able to fit two propane tanks, but could only go up to a group 29 battery as the 31 would be too long and inter fear with my side tongue jack. Again this may be different on other units. Ive also seen on some units with an electric lift where the lift motor sits on the tongue, if that’s the case I think that will limit what size battery you can bring as well. In my search slideout are always the dinette table of some sort in popups. It will be either a U shape dinette or a regular benchseat table dinette. The bay window I don’t have but honestly don’t see the benefit for the extra canvas. I also believe the step up is pretty standard as they need to have room for the rollers etc under the slideout and some models even put the water pump under it. I suggest to bring your tape measure when you search as I found out the write up given on units are not always correct. Also measure from tongue to storage tire as guarantee the tire sticks out further than bumper. Good luck.

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I had to take off my spare and cut the rear bumper off in order to fit the pup in my garage..lol

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

A slideout will increase the trailer weight be a fair amount .. Our trailer had a GVWR of 3646lbs, so make sure your tow vehicle can handle the GVWR of the "new" trailer.. We started out with a Palomino 6147, 12ft box with a 2ft front storage (plus about 3ft of tongue and another foot or two for the rear bumper and spare tire) so total length was about 19ft or so closed up.

Only owned the Palomino but found the overall build quality was slightly better then the others.. In 2004 Palomino was still an independent company prior to Forest River buying them..

Ours 12ft roof was all manual.. When properly lubed, it was easy to crank.

Ours had a single 20lb tank and a group 24 battery.. there was enough room on the tongue to add either a second tank or second/larger battery.

I didn't want a shower, not in a tent trailer, where moisture and mold are more difficult to prevent.. We did have a porta-potti , but only used it maybe a total of 10 times in the almost 3 years we owned the pup..

Every pup I have seen with a slide-out it is a dinette slide.. Think ours may have had a 3 inch step up if that..

Couldn't tell you, but I will assume that it would give the illusion of more space..

On pups.. Yes.. or at least on the one we had and others I have seen at RV shows over the past few years..

Loved the front storage bin.. ours didn't have the sliding tray like some have, so I had no wasted space and stored stuff needed for setup (wheel chocks, crank handle, stab crank, lynx levelers, extension cord, water hose, awning poles and a bucket on one end of the box, things like campstove, bbq, axes, fire gloves, poker, bow saw, firepit grill and grey water jug at the other end and used the center part to store chairs, folding table, stove fuel and a few toys and things for the kids.. I was pushing the 200lb limit.. lol

Better to be curious and ask the questions before buying then buying and finding out that it's not what you wanted..

davekro likes this.
  5. davekro

davekro Active Member

Thank you all for the thorough responses! With the slide out cutting down on inside pup storage, I now realize the front box would be almost mandatory, if nor just extremely good for so many odd/ bulky items as Snow listed above in his. I did read one poster removed his (100lb he said) sliding front box drawer. Am I correct to assume that most all front boxes would have an access door on both ends as well as the (inaccessible w/ bunk out) top lid?

The above info really helped me see, that for our storage length constraint*, a 10’ box, w/ slide out and front storage would be ideal.
    *At the rear of our side storage area, anything on the pup ‘above’ the bottom of the bumper can stick out more.

6. davekro

davekro Active Member

For a 10’ box+ 2’ front bin set up, would the axle be moved a foot (or more?) forward than a 10’ pup w/o a front bin? On my 10’ 4” box! The axle center is 70.5” from the front of the 10’ 4” box (57%). I guess the bottom line question is does loading the front box with say what Snow does (wheel chocks, crank handle, stab crank, lynx levelers, extension cord, water hose, awning poles and a bucket on one end of the box, things like campstove, bbq, axes, fire gloves, poker, bow saw, firepit grill and grey water jug at the other end and used the center part to store chairs, folding table, stove fuel) disproportionately raise the tongue weight? More than can easily be adjusted by adding weight behind the axle inside the pup?

As I just learned https://www.popupportal.com/threads...s-combined-weight-rating.127352/#post-1312661, the more accurate max tow capacity of my “5000 lb” TV rating is approx. 4400 (5000 - 600 psgrs & cargo in TV). So a 3100 dry/3500 fully loaded trailer would be at 80% of my 4400 TV Capacity. Do you think this 80% of cap. Sounds reasonable?

7. davekro

davekro Active Member

What might be an average height and front to back inside dimensions of a front storage bin? Would folding lounge chairs fit with their width if stacked side by side, given the bin’s inside height?

8. jmkay1

. No way I can fit my zero gravity chairs in the front bin even if I angled it. I managed to squeeze one inside my camper and if I angled it, one could fit inside the door, but my toilet cabinet does take up space there, a different floor plan may work better. My front truck can fit multiple bag chairs though so it depends on the width of your chair. As far as dementions of the trunk I think this depends on the model you have. My front trunk has the water heater inside it so length is limited and width wise it can fit my outside stove laying flat. Hight wise I would say about 18-20" best guess. Oh and yes, anything added to the front trunk is weight added to the tongue.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

When i had the pup , i loved the front storage bin. And yes when the beds are slid out over it , it wasnt very acessable. So storage, qas for as snow said all the outside stuff. I had , bbq, outside stove, chocks, blocks, 4 of the bad chairs, bag table, small folding table, rope , hoses, electrical hook ups, extention cords, grey water tote, etc. You could pack it up with tons of stuff. You just have to remove what you think you'll need when camping. Mine did have an acess door on one side, it was pretty much useless. The other side had the hot water heater. It also had an acess to the inside of the pup through a slide door, useless also.

10. davekro

davekro Active Member

SJM,
    Very good info to know about access to a front bin. Is it common to use space in the bin for the water heater, or mainly for Coleman/Fleetwood? What year did Coleman become/get bought by Fleetwood? If you were looking at a later year 'Coleman' and an 'early year Fleetwood/Coleman', any off the production line quality differences of note? Also, what was the Coleman 'bad roof year' range (Alumilite/ Alumaleak ;o)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think most of the pups with the front storage have the water heater in them. Not sure , but it makes sense. I had an older Coleman with the abs roof. It was delaminating, but was water tight. TBH , i think i would rather have the abs roof and the problems associated with it then something that will rot and need rebuilding. For the most part, when i was looking, most of the floorplans and such were similer with new and old. If not buying new, I think more then anything else, it falls to whats available and what you must have. So , if you find a deal on something good that you can live with, thats what you should buy. There out there, but it took me a year to find the one i wanted. Take you time, look around and make a must have, vs want to have list. After that its if the condition is good.

12. davekro

davekro Active Member

Good point on making a firm list of 'must haves' and also, 'absolutely nots' and stick to it. We do have the luxury to wait and continue camping in our current pup. Good advice to be patient and hold out for what we want. That way we can enjoy our 'chosen pup' for years to come w/o second guessing.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The bay area used selection isn't great, so have many options. :)

Popups here tend to be in better condition than in wet areas, from what I read. I might be wrong but you'll find roofs in general to be in better shape out here (and HOAs and city laws forcing popups into garages more, too).

14. davekro

davekro Active Member

I'm not clear if you are saying the SF bay area does or does not have many options when shopping for a used pup. Living in Contra Costa county, I'm mid way between the actual Bay Area to the west and the valley to the east, so I'd think the selection of used pups would be pretty good. That is come spring and summer time. Not much up for sale this time of year (but we're watchin' Craigs List ;) )

15. jmkay1

. You can try RV Trader as well, but a lot of dealers usually post there, but you can also see some private sellers as well.

davekro likes this.