Slide out or not...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by neverenoughcoffee, Oct 28, 2019.

1. neverenoughcoffee

neverenoughcoffee New Member

We have been looking to buy our first pop up for a few months.
    We have 5 kids, 5-16 years old.
    We have a Honda pilot and Honda odyssey to tow with.

We have looked at some with slide outs and some without. I know the slide out can be so nice for that extra floor space, especially with 7 people, but I am concerned with the added weight a slide out brings.

Both vehicles can tow up to 3500lbs, but we also have those 7 bodies in there plus all of our crap.

We have one pop up we are thinking of seeing now that is a 2000 Jayco Heritage. Lots of beds, but no slide outs and no storage box on the front.

Also, maybe we should just wait for spring to re-start our search. Our first camping trip is usually the last week of May or first week of June. We have always used a tent. ;)

Thanks for any advice!

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I camp with just myself and 2 kids. I won't own another pup or TT that doesnt have a slide. Your biggest limiting factor is TV capabilities.

Ladiesman likes this.
  3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

With 7 people you will want the extra space of a slide-out. You are also probably underpowered with both of your TVs.

4. neverenoughcoffee

Would you think we are underpowered e en without a slide out? The farthest we have ever camped from home is only about 10 miles, so we probably wouldn't tow far.

5. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

FYI I have a Viking Brochure that lists a 2485SSST with slide out that weighs 2702 lbs dry. that does not leave much weight left for kids and cargo in your van.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  6. neverenoughcoffee

I guess we could always drive separately.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Just to be sure, based on how some of the responses above are worded, you're not planning to tow with your kids in the popup, right? I hate to have to ask, but these days, sheesh, you never know.

The kids are a factor in your GVWR, however, but that's a separate consideration from your tow rating.

8. neverenoughcoffee

No! Lol I don't even know how that would be possible. I guess I was just thinking maybe the more weight in the van, the less power to tow? Maybe I am wrong.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

As much as I love my slideout I think the slideout is really going to be pushing your vehicle. It entirely depends on your vehicle's payload capacity. Can your vehicle's payload handle the weight of all your kids and gear in addition to the full tongue weight of the camper? Don't look at the dry tongue weight as it doesn't include the weight of propane or battery.

neverenoughcoffee likes this.
  10. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

I want to provide my few cents. We have a family of five - three teenagers - 14 through 17. We have a relatively mid size pop up without any slide out. Coleman Cheyenne 2002. We camped few times and it did not feel two crowded/bad. If the weather is nice and not raining, we spend most our time outside sitting under the awning / pop up camp in the chair or hiking, or by the fire. Sleeping is not an issue for us as we can easily fit three in one bed (king) and two in the other (queen/full). I thought about getting one with a slide out, but decided against it as it will add both weight and additional (probably not as much) time to set up / fold down, plus additional areas to clean/or potentially have issues. But I know folks who have the slide outs absolutely love them. Nothing against them personally, but we do not have it and it doesn't 'bother' us, so far :). Good luck with whatever you decide and you will enjoy it as we do!

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I have a 1997 Starcraft Venture 2408. It has no slide but has a 12" box. It weighs 1700 lbs. We are a family of 5 but could fit 2 more in the camper especially if they were young.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

With those tow vehicles and that number of people in the vehicle you are s.o.l for finding a pup with a slideout that can be towed.. And yes the people in the vehicle does affect the amount you can tow..

13. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Guess everything has to be explained. It all adds up to total weight that your vehicle tows and carry including people and cargo.

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

There's the two main things to consider: tow capacity (3500lbs) and vehicle carrying capacity, also known as payload. Most vehicles actually cap their payload before tow capacity. It includes passengers, fuel, stuff, and trailer tongue weight. (How many passengers and how much fuel count against payload can vary based on manufacturer, so you have to read the fine print on what is included.)

So how many kids you carry can affect what trailer you can haul.

Anyway, if you guys are good at tent camping and only want better beds, you don't need a slideout. If you want to spend time inside the trailer because you camp where it's hot, or cold, or rainy, then you'll probably want one.

Camper054 and neverenoughcoffee like this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Most with a slide are going to be pushing the limits on your TV by the time you add battery, propane, food, bedding, and other camping gear. We have had three adults, a teen as big as an adult, four children, and a beagle sleep in our PUP with no slide. We generally don't cook or eat in the PUP, but in bad enough weather we will. In fact we spend very little time inside the PUP other than sleeping. Our awning/screen room is where we cook and retreat to when it rains.

16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Looks like you may need to be two car campers. One for towing and one for hauling.

Rik Peery and HappyTraveler like this.
  17. Econ

Econ Active Member

If your tow capacity is 3,500 pounds you have the non towing edition with a tongue weight of 350 pounds. The 4 WD's have a capacity of 4,500 pounds and come with a transmission and power steering cooler. If yours is 2016(?) and above it is from a different generation that has higher limits.

Heat is the enemy of your transmission. It was suggested to me by the dealer for camper pullers to take your engine oil and transmission fluid changes off the Mileage Minder and change the trans every 20,000 miles and engine every 5,000. Change the VTM every 20k if you have 4WD.

Read the owners manual about how Honda calculates tongue weight capacity. You start of with 350 pounds. Then you subtract for the DW in the shotgun seat, subtract for passengers in the passenger seats, subtract for cargo, etc.... Pretty soon you are tieing a helium balloon to the hitch.

A slide in my world means added weight. We have a dry weight of about 1,900 pounds plus crap.

Your Pilot is probably a 3.5 L. I have a campground you want to go to. You build up a head of steam because the final mountain will bust you down to 2nd gear. Pulling a camper in 2nd gear pulling 4,000 RPM is boring. Another complaint about the 3.5 L is that it is barely not strong enough to hold 5th gear on rolling Interstates. You have to choose between the transmission shifting every mile or so and air conditioning. Note were we live. AC comes first in every life decision. We do about 62MPH on the Interstate.

A slide out may be a bridge too far. I would pack the human cargo in the Odyssey and use the Pilot has a TV. It all depends on how far and how frequently you will pull that camper.

Another recommendation: Rent something of similar weight and tow it a few hundred miles over roads that you would take while camping. It might be eye opening.

Good luck

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  18. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Pitch a tent for the kiddies.

Rik Peery likes this.
  19. nickap

nickap Member

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but it seems to me that a good way to go about this would be to start by doing the math to figure out how much you are carrying with all the kids and luggage etc., and based on that, you should be able to figure out how much capacity your TV has left over - then you can look for a PUP based on that. You can find popups with slideouts that are under 2000lb dry (I have one, a 2000 Rockwood 2317g) but you may find that even that is a little higher than you will be able to tow along with everything else.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Dry weight is useless (unless the trailer is newer then 2009ish, when most manufactures started including things like options, propane tanks. , battery, awning, spare tire and mount) ..