Slide out or not...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by neverenoughcoffee, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Ditto one what every one else has said about weight. Have you considered upgrading your tow vehicle as well? May be able to do an even (or close-to) even trade for a little bigger SUV or vehicle with a higher tow rating.

I have the slide on mine even though most trips its just me and the dog. So much less claustrophobic inside! When I do have friends that come along you can move around inside without tripping over one another.

The other thought for you to consider, used pup prices are usually lower this time of year. People selling before winter time. In the spring, demand will be up and it will be harder to find one, and when they do come available they will sell quickly.

Rik Peery likes this.
  2. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Given that you have teenagers, you might can get by without a slide-out. I figure one or two of them consider themselves too cool to sleep with the rest of you, and would prefer a backpacking tent pitched under the rear bunk (backpacking tents are low enough to fit under there, usually, and the bunk would be extra shelter from any rain).

A 12' box will give you two king beds, and a little extra room to maneuver in the mornings/evenings or on rainy days. If weight is an issue, and it sounds like it is, maybe opt for a 10' box (king in front, queen in back) and use an add-a-room (a screen tent attached to the side of the camper) to give you some breathing space.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

One thing for sure, NEVER enough coffee lol... good name choice...if y'all are flatlanders & don't travel far, you MAY be able to swing closer to a max weight; myself, I'm in the more than I need under the hood crowd, I buy what I know I can tow w/ plenty of leeway; son used to prefer staying in a tent, & we carry what we know we'll need...1st time in a pop up resulted in a site that looked like a traveling carnival, told the wife no mas, we're un-arsing gear from here hence...good luck in your decision, lot of good advice in the above posts...

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

With that many passengers, you are not going to be safe with a slide out. Too heavy. When we were looking for something to tow with our Odyssey, we had to choose between a bathroom and a slide out, the bathroom won - no regrets. Had we had that many passengers, probably would have had to go even lighter. It's usually just DH and I in the van with occasionally two small grandchildren that don't weigh 100 lbs between them.

5. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

We are a family of four people and two dogs. Our new pup has a slide out and, after camping in it throughout the summer, I will never be without a slide out again.
    However, you will not find one that you will be able to safely tow with the TV’s you have available to you. If you aren’t able to upgrade your tv, a slide out is simply not an option.

6. Manutara

Manutara New Member

A slideout is going to give you more empty space, nothing else, you are not looking for space for everybody to stand up at the same time the whole day... if you are going to be inside you will most probably sit at the table, play games, cards, read, etc. I suggest you to look at the whole internal distribution and setup, this is going to make the difference, also if it has an awning that you can close, that can double the usable area for everybody. IMHO the question is not if you want a slideout or not, it's how you are going to use the space when everybody's inside.

We have three kids, 5-12 years old, and the last three years we camped on a borrowed 8' PUP, we bought our first one some weeks ago, and doubted a lot about getting a slideout or not, our TV is an AWD and can tow 5000lbs, so weight was not an issue. After looking a lot we chose a 12' PUP without slideout, it pulls and behaves better than the 8' one, it also feels lighter, what really sold us on it is the fact that it has two tables, and on each end of the trailer, not on the side:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1380ken and Tom Jordan like this.
  7. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Matching the TV with the camper is the first and most fundamental question over camper capacity. One could always pitch a tent for the kiddos to increase sleeping space. Just because a TV can pull a trailer down the road doesn’t mean it should if it’s capacity is exceeded for safety or the wear and tear on brakes, transmission and motor.

8. neverenoughcoffee

neverenoughcoffee New Member

Thank you all! We found one that will easily sleep us all, no slide out, about 1500lbs.

tfischer, Orchid, Manutara and 2 others like this.
  9. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Glad that you found one...if we may ask, what make, model, year? Maybe some pics? :). Enjoy your new pop up!

10. neverenoughcoffee

Thank you. It is being stored for the winter in a barn. 2000 Jayco Heritage. :)

Camper054 likes this.
  11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Where did you get the weight of 1500 lbs?

12. neverenoughcoffee

Sorry, I was wrong, I rechecked back on the info and they said 1850#.

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would guess more like 2500 Lbs.

14. neverenoughcoffee

After seeing the title, it is a Jayco Heritage Cascade and says 2120 #.
    Thank you for the helpful advice. :)