Slightly used campers for cheap coming soon?

Discussion in 'RV Industry & Camping Related News' started by TravelingAggie, Jul 31, 2020.

1. TravelingAggie

TravelingAggie Member

So with the boom in new camper sales going on right now due to the ‘Rona. Do you think the slightly used market will be booming in the next couple of years?

Indiobravo likes this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

For sure. Some folks just aren't cut out for camping. You'll see the first batch come up for sale in the fall when folks start to realize how much storage will cost them. Then I think another batch will come up for sale in mid 2021 when they realize how much they don't use them, or realize that they don't really like camping. You'll also see a bunch when they get a vaccine and people go back to hotels. By the end of 2022, the RV industry will be asking for a bail out because they can't sell enough new units.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. In the next couple years I think we will see campers back on the market for sale. Many of those people were so desperate to get out they didn't do the research needed.
    However these people may still be trying to ask for a lot of money for them as they would have paid more for it when they bought it and would want to recoop that. RV sales are booming and because of that sellers are taking advantage of people asking stupid amounts for the same camper that can sell less on a different time.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I would guess that most people buying new are probably paying too much and financing for 7 to 10 years. They won't be willing to take a loss unless their storage costs are eating their lunch. You won't see much benefit to the used market for a few years by which time many of these will be unused and unmaintained for a long time.

5. gec66

gec66 Active Member

It often takes longer than you might think. Year 1 people go camping every weekend or every other, minimum 1X a month. Year 2 they go once a month. Year 3 they go 2-3 times. Year 4 they don't go at all or once. Year 5 not at all... Year 6 or 7 they realize they didn't use it for the last few years and they sell.

Toedtoes likes this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Wait until either this fall when folks realize they have to store any toys they bought or next spring when they decide to head back overseas or do those big mid winter trips again.. Everything from trailers, atvs, boats any sort of toy will be up for sale, it will be a buyer's market..

Lauriep, the4grows and DiamondGirl like this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I agree it will take a few years to see the effects.

For the next year, things will still be about "the virus". That means outdoor activities will continue to be limited. Winter will likely see limited skiing. And indoor activities like malls and movies and restaurants will still be hurting. So, folks will hang on to their campers so they can get out come spring.

They won't think about getting rid of the camper until they are able to do more enjoyable things without restriction. Then they'll see the camper costs as not worth it and start selling.

What you'll see for sale next spring/summer are campers that were put aside for winter and not checked on until spring. Folks will pull them out of hibernation, find them ruined from leaks, and try to sell them for as much as possible. I wouldn't buy anything next spring.

the4grows and DiamondGirl like this.
  8. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

I can’t wait till prices drop and sales inventory grows. Then I can join the dark side someday.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

aan1129, FiveInAFlagstaff and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Technically you're sitting at dusk with the aliner - it's not much to go to full dark. :)

Storm, Cory Nardin, AMC and 2 others like this.
  10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

Very true. We’re already in the GREY side.

We want more interior room. To be able to bring MIL along on some trips. She’s almost 80 yrs. old. And we want to bring her along before running out of time. So she can enjoy the real outdoors away from the city. We bring her along when camping at a campground (3 adults in the Aliner) but not when boondocking/dispersed camping. She prefers a restroom with a shower. She’ll like boondocking once we get a bigger trailer with those amenities.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

11. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

We have a local dealer here in western PA, a second generation owner whom I have known since grade school. He had his best two months in sales since his dad opened the business in the 1960's in April and May. June things tapered off a lot and July was the worst month he has ever seen, not just for sales, traffic also. He says he has had at least 6 folks who purchased during April and May call and want to know if he was interested in buying back their units.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think people will keep them next year depending on the virus. Then you will see them for sale. I dont think they will be overpriced either. Many that got them are well off and will just want them gone. They will take a loss.

chick-a-go, DiamondGirl and Ductape like this.
  13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

There is going to be a lot. There are going to be a lot of folks that realize that trailer camping is not for them or can not afford a camper. It's sad to say. There were a lot of people that took there $1,200 checks and the additional $600 in unemployment per week. They had lot of confidants that they were going back to their employer. But there are a lot of employers not bringing back the employees and this congress does not look like its extending the $600 a week.

The dealers out here are having the best months ever. They are getting premium prices and looking to buy any good camper.

the4grows likes this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Might see a lot of repos too. People who bought from dealers on financing, then found their financial situation changed and paying for a camper was no longer affordable. Banks will start repoing them and you will see them at auction.

kmbarreiros and DiamondGirl like this.
  15. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Well, this thread has made me stop and think about buying a new Aframe; may be better to wait until the fall or next year when nearly new units are available for re-sale.

16. Moo

Moo New Member

Definitely, as soon as everyone has the ability to travel they will. And the campers they bought will be in abundance. It may be 2021 or maybe 2022.

chick-a-go likes this.
  17. the4grows

the4grows New Member

Excellent point about them not being maintained! We will be looking to get a travel trailer in a couple years and need to remember this!

kmbarreiros likes this.
  18. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I find it interesting how many people predict that these new owners will dislike camping so much. I believe the ratio will remain about what it always has been. But then I invested in Thor in April, I've always felt this will be a boom to the industry.

I know folks who saw an opportunity and sold their units at great used prices. They will be back. I doubt thousands upon thousands of new owners will take the losses and sell one year old units.

These new owners aren't alien creatures. They are humans just like us. Some needed the pandemic to give them one more reason to buy.

Ladiesman and Toedtoes like this.
  19. Rockwood_Freedom

Rockwood_Freedom New Member

I'm located in the PNW area and the used RV market is HOT right now! We recently purchased a pop-up and if they were priced right would be gone in minutes on OfferUp, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc. You had to have cash in hand, ready to go look at one as soon as it was listed. We lost out to numerous pop-ups because we missed the posting by 1-2 hrs. Finally found one and purchased it locally. The sellers phone was blowing up while we were finalizing the paperwork. Someone even offered above asking price. Our housing market is also one of the hottest in the nation right now and multiple offers has been the mindset for quite some time. The amount of people migrating to the area is staggering...

20. Louis P.

Louis P. New Member

Yes, I think there will be more campers available in the next couple of years for a couple of reasons.
    1. People finding out that camping isn't really for them
    2. People aging out
    3. Repossessions from folks who can no longer afford them
    4. People upgrading, making used campers more abundant
    5. More people realizing that they can do their jobs from anywhere, as long as they have a wi-fi connection

I sure hope the number of campgrounds/places to camp increases along with the number of rigs out there.

Cory Nardin and chick-a-go like this.