Slightly used campers for cheap coming soon?

Discussion in 'RV Industry & Camping Related News' started by TravelingAggie, Jul 31, 2020.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Have you seen then at the campgrounds?? :lipsrsealed:

eoleson1 and jmkay1 like this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Maybe not thousands but I’ve talked to like four campers who just bought a camper This year and they all told me the same thing, they are going to sell it as soon as things improve and normal vacation travel can happen safely. They all bought used campers though. We didn’t discuss logistics but they stressed the fact they only did this so they can get out of the house. They don’t trust hotels, airplanes, or other modes of transportation, they don’t trust public restrooms, but they were desperate to get out. Personally it would be nice to see if this encourages manufacturers to get newer popups and other small trailers out there as there MAY be better demand, but another side of me hopes I will be able to go camping again without needing months and months of advanced reservations. Right now, all the campground are fully packed solid. I used to be able to find at least one place to camp with a two weeks notice, now that’s impossible.

3. chick-a-go

chick-a-go New Member

I think a lot of people do not realize how much time and maintenance an RV requires. Once the pandemic is over many - not all - will opt for something that requires less time and attention.

Louis P. likes this.
  4. aan1129

aan1129 New Member

5. aan1129

aan1129 New Member

This is our plan as well! As we get closer to retirement and “most of the time” (not full time, lol) we want to go dark and we’re hoping for some great deals in about 2-3 seasons

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

LOL the guy with the hatchet might not have been . . .

neighbormike likes this.
  7. Storm

Storm New Member

8. Storm

Storm New Member

#5 is going to change things forever now and outlast all the above

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Wish in one hand and you know what in the other. Building campgrounds is a huge financial boondoggle, especially anywhere that the season is limited. A terrible financial decision and that is without taking into account all the government mandated hoops that must be jumped through along with dealing with the NIMBY busy bodies. Add to that due to current events state budgets are in turmoil and will be for years, so at this point I think you can count out public campground construction or renovations, the state departments of conservation and such usually are operated on a shoestring to begin with and are the first things cut out when revenues are tight.

The only places I see building new are in states such as yours, Florida, South Texas etc., and those are more of glorified trailer parks to accommodate the snowbird crowd than they are campgrounds. A lot of those snowbirds are actually the busy body NIMBY's who would scream bloody murder if someone proposed building a "campground" a few miles down the road from their home up north.

xxxapache and HappyTraveler like this.
  10. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I can't even imagine!
    I mean, think of all the building codes just to build a house or open a business. Campgrounds would have to be that much worse b/c they are kind of combining the two.
    Sad.

11. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Opening businesses, even RV parks or campgrounds, isn't that difficult. You hire the necessary designers, engineers and attorneys. The key will be to predict what the next generation in RV travelers are willing to pay for. Is it 50 amp, curbs, concrete patios, carefully located and planted trees, with rock solid WiFi and cell service for work from anywhere professionals or cheaper, remote, I'll use my solar and lithium batteries to boondock while extending my retirement dollars campers? Locations within an hour of populated areas with lots of amenities and a big weekend family business, or more remote destinations for solitude?

Most of those new units that are in the hands of new to RVing owners are financed and upside down in value. The businesses that offer opportunities for them will do well over the next few years. Perhaps concierge storage service on site at a campground. Imagine a campground offering call us up and we'll get you on a site, hook you up, and move you out when you leave (I had that in the 80s). Seasonal site rentals may increase.

12. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Had to look up NIMBY.
    " Not In My Back Yard "

neighbormike likes this.
  13. sandreas

sandreas Member

Thank you for that. I was about to look it up myself!

14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I have been seeing a lot of campers with new trailers that seem like they have no idea what they are doing. Also, I have seen reserve CS's sit with tags on polls sit empty for 2-4 days and do a no show.

I think, either lack of employment and they can not make payment. Or, when they are not interested in going camping and not using the trailer they will sell it.