Slow draining sink??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by Raven27, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Raven27

Raven27 Member

Is it normal for the pop up sink drain to drain slow? If faucet is on about half way, which is fine for washing hands and dishes, it is a bit slow todrain, not quite starts filling, but it does pool up in bottom a littl . If I turn it all the way on, it would likely fill up. I have the drain on the outside that I attach a grey water hose, butv there's also a smaller diameter line with a small, oval handle that when I open it, the water comes put of it pretty fast, another water coming out of main ,hose line drain, shuts off, certainly couldn't use the small one as a main drain since any small item that may go down would easily clog it.
    I'll add that this is our first pup

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yes, they drain slow because of a vacuum thats created as the water tries to exit the hose. Check out the following thread and build a small adapter that JeepGuy (I think) made here, (don't buy one, make one). Check it out post number 3 ...... http://www.popupportal.com/threads/sink-drainage.119300/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  3. Raven27

Raven27 Member

I have no idea where that thing would even go, that thread was pretty confusing and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. That device shown..no clue what its make up is, diameter, connections, nothing

4. Raven27

Raven27 Member

One other potential issue, my friend is under my pop up, not out a side

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You need to create a vent is all. If your drain is under the pup, you need to pipe it out and then t it off so the vent goes up and the gray water down in to your collection tank or sewer line.

6. Wrenchgear

You can easily make one of these from loose parts at Home D, or where ever you like. It's probably 3/4 inch or 1 inch pipe. Just have to find out what size the hose ends are. Hope this helps.

s-l500.jpg

Katskamper likes this.
  7. Wrenchgear

Ok, well this might not work for you. Your post #4 says that your 'friend' is under the Pup, not out the side. I wasn't sure what that meant, but I now guess thats your 'vent', not 'friend'.

Make something similar to this that will screw onto the vent underneath, and also provide the extra vent to avoid the vacuum created in the drain

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My POPUP has the fold-over sink and sometimes the hose gets pinched half way shut... I had to sort of rearrange the drain hose so that it would collapse itself when in the fold out position...

My sink drain goes to the outside of the trailer and not to a tank under the POPUP... I use a couple of these 7.5 GALLON portable cans... When one gets full I switch to the second can and then haul off the first can... I only have a fresh water tank on my POPUP...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Katskamper likes this.
  9. Raven27

Raven27 Member

Sorry if I came off with attitude, just been frustrated with how much stuff you have to screw with to make things work right on pop ups that already expensive, especially since it appears the manufacturers are aware of the issues and do nothing about it. My pop up is only a few years old so it's not like this issue was there due to old design. I've put quite a bit of modifying into the pup to get it right and it's been irritating....glad I didnt buy it new, and I never will.

Getting to the vent, that graphic looks simple enough, I can build that and hope it solves issue. Thanks for all the help,let's hope this is the last thing I need to do. Lol

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I certainly do not have any flow issues with my setup... Fill the sink up and pull the stopper and it makes a loud sucking noise as it quickly drains... I did have a pinched drain hose one time but was easily rerouted to not fold into a stoppage... All working fine here...

My foldover is layed out much like your swing out model... Sink on one side and propane stove top on the other. My sink and stove is switched however compared to yours... When mine is folded over for travel you can see the whole installed sink with the hose connection etc... This is where I get to stuff a few things before lowering the top down on top of it...

I'm still thinking you most likely have a twisted drain hose... My water outlet is a good twelve inches below the sink where my outside hose connection is made... My unit is a direct connected hose - nothing else installed between the sink and the connection that I recall... Thinking out loud here but I don't think I have a P-TRAP haha... If I do it would be on the back of the hose connection that goes thru the exterior wall...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

C4C67673-8AD7-4FEA-99C8-0048C66CDC43.jpeg jumpin in on this thread first.

flip over sink has donut gasket that leaks. its crumbling.
    water ran on top of base counter, left huge puddle.
    tried adding small funnel to undersink, it fit, drained slow, but when bed pushed in- broke that funnel.

sink drains slow, i have washer machine steel belted hose for drain line (overkill, but right length) into clear 2.5 gallon jug.
    so sink drain line makes 90 degree bend? drain connect is mid wall outside.

how do i check drain line inside cabinet base?
    does the plasic trap on base unscrew or pull out?
    how do i stop leak?

directly below my sink is fridge. crummy design, imho.
    eventually i will rebuild counter, move sink above cabinet, get better spigot, run drain straight thru cabinet & floor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019