Slumming it

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by vanjr, Jul 24, 2013.

1. vanjr

vanjr New Member

How many of you consider yourself pop-up slummers? I am not as experienced as many on the board, but certainly have a good bit of experience camping as a kid and as an adult. We have had first a used TT (7 years ago) and now have used pop-up. However despite a number of trips we frankly use our popup only for sleeping. Our refrig has worked only once in the popup-its now just a storage space. Never have hot water. Couldn't tell you if we have a heater or if we do how to turn it on. We just cover up. We do use the AC I guess and use the propane to cook in the outside grill or heat water to wash dishes. We also use the electricity and lights. I am not sure exactly why I even have a battery on the front of my pop-up. We of course have no model manuals.

Just me?

2. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Plenty of manuals available right here, 3rd choice on the left in the sub menus. If you have a water heater, then there would be a exhaust vent for it on the camper. It would be metal with a "HOT" warning on the outside of it.

It's not slumming, it Pupping...

3. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

The reason we purchased the pop up was for the heater, running water, running hot water, stove, lights, fridge, comfortable beds and weather protection. We don't have AC but rarely need it here in the mountains of CO.

We use ALL the amenities and have had to learn, thanks to this site, how to use all the above. I knew nothing about pop ups and how to work the appliances and used this site, as well as the manuals found here to learn.

I can't imagine having all those at my disposal and not use them but, to each their own.

The battery allows us to listen to satellite radio, watch dvd's, charge phones, computers and camera batteries. We use a small solar panel to recharge the battery or generator if no sun. I did have to install a cigarette lighter insert but that was fairly easy and now allows car chargers to work in the pup. Again, learned how to do this on the portal.

If you have questions on how to use or fix your fridge, hot water heater or battery, this is the place!

4. vanjr

vanjr New Member

Well I have found my manual (listed as coleman and not fleetwood) so its a start. My last trip (TX to UP Michigan) and back we just bought a really nice ice chest (yeti) and filled as necessary.

We have always camped at campgrounds with electricity/showers, so i just plug in.

5. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

My current pop up is far from fancy but to me it's a castle! Our old camper was a '66 Apache--leaky canvas, nothing but beds inside, and more duct tape than screening. When it rained, we used so many tarps, brown, blue, gray, to cover the top and create makeshift walls under the awning because that was the only place we could hang out. That's slumming it! [LOL]

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

No... we have never considered ourselves pop-up slummers. Our camper was bought brand new and it's still pretty new - and even though it has plenty of amenities (because it came in the camper), we rarely use the refrigerator (except forbottled water) or hot water heater and we never use the outside propane connection in the back, the microwave, inside stove, or "AM FM CD and MP3 or whatever" Stereo. That's because we choose not to beings. We often camp in bear country and don't cook inside. We do use the Thetford toilet and the furnace though and we're very glad to have them. This is how we choose to travel or camp. I'm sorry you think you're slumming. That must be a bummer.

7. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

No way! We were tent campers until this year so we feel like we are in the penthouse suite!

We don't use everything yet, but we are learning thanks to the portal. Having hot water is a dream come true when washing dishes! I can't wait until winter to wash the dishes and warm my hands up! We haven't used fridge yet because we were in bear country but we plan to on the next trip.

I love it!! Maybe we'll call ours the puphouse suite!

8. Indy

Indy Member

In our first pup, we had no fridge and only used coolers. Our new pup has a fridge, but I don't want to get it all gross and smelly (plus, it is pretty tiny... and I'm too lazy to pop up just to load, then down, then up again when we get there). So, we still use a cooler for the most part and use the inside fridge for drinks when we get there. Our first pup had a microwave and shower - both of which we never used, so the new pup has no microwave and only an outdoor shower for hosing off. Both pups had a portable potty, never used and removed for storage space. We also rely mostly on electric and water hookups & camp facilities, so I don't often hook up the water and use the inside sink or hot water heater. I mostly wash dishes and cook outside, but I've cooked something light inside if it was raining. We use the propane heat, but don't use the propane grill - we bring charcoal instead. Sometimes we use the radio for background music if we're some place near civilization, and we'll occasionally use the battery for lights if we're without electric hookups. Rarely.

Those are just our habits -- nothing wrong with it, do it your way!

9. bropaul

bropaul New Member

You have a 2003 Mesa, that's a wonderful pup! Mamabean has a Mesa and we have a Westlake. You just need to read the manual or ask questions here and we will be happy to help you. If your frig is standard equipment it is a 3 way, meaning it will run on 120V, 12V battery or propane. We love ours, if we have electric we run it on the 120V but if we are dry camping (no hook ups) we run on propane. Each power choice has an On/Off switch, yours may just be Off.

Considering the length of your last trip, learning a little more about your pup's features may make your camping experiences even more enjoyable.

Diane

10. vanjr

vanjr New Member

I may have miscommunicated. Its not a bummer-I love it! Love simplicity and love camping on our pup!

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Sorry you feel you are slumming...me, I am camping. You can always go back to a TT and camp in asphalt driveways in camping resorts instead of the ghettos of State Parks

12. Indy

Indy Member

I don't think the other posters are necessarily catching your drift, but I get it, vanjr. And I love it too.

13. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Thanks, I understood though. I'm just not sure I'd use the word "slumming" and that's what the OP asked about. When we're camping the way we want to camp by either using the amenities we have or not using them... or if we don't use them because we don't have them, all is good. I love it too. Other people might think we're slumming though, I suppose.

14. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

[LOL]

There's no tone of voice online,,,,,,,

I don't think he meant slumming in a BAD way :)

15. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

If that's what you call it, I love slumming it! Wearing no makeup, not worrying about how your hair looks, just put a cap on., not taking a shower if you don't really need it, Food tastes better, having no clock, sitting around a campfire and talking trash, catching lightning bugs with the grandkids, lying in bed and hearing all the nitesounds, oh yeah, I luv it! [;)]

Campit

16. Tribble

Tribble New Member

For me, although i have not made my first trip yet, This is a 4 star hotel VS a tent.

17. Manper

Manper New Member

Everyone has there own version of slum camping [:D]
    Ours is a shower and toilet and a heater all under the canvas but off the ground [SNZ]

18. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I work in a world of polished shoes and formal presentations. I enjoy hitting the campground and becoming a nobody who can just relax, not worry about shaving and dress however I darn well please. The group we camp with is doesn't worry about impressing each other. We do have fun joking about some of our fashion choices and morning hair. It is the same with a kayak group I belong to in that no one is worried about impressing anyone else. We are all there just to have a fun time.

19. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

...as long as it's camping It's all good, [:D]

Last week I spent 5 days camping in a hay field in the beautiful Catskills at a bluegrass festival with my popup. With my propane fridge, 2 batteries and a sink with running water and throw in my pallet foundation 2x4 blue tarp shower booth with a 7 gallon aquatainer shower hose and I was at the top of the world for accommodations.

20. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Heck no I don't think I'm slumming it! I was a tent camper for the first 43 years of my life, and I wanted to get up off the ground. While my Jayco has some years on it, I use EVERYTHING it has to offer. Fridge, yup, just cleaned the burner. Water tank, yup, and I even DRINK out of it and live to tell the tale! Power, when available, you bet we run the space heater and watch movies at night. Furnace, you betcha! Couldn't camp in a PUP in Alaska without it! I also cook up a storm both inside and out on the stove. So pretty much, I do just about everything "wrong".

I have dual LP tanks, a good battery and solid tires.

Are my decals peeling, yup! It it rubbed and worn in places, sure. A little spot of mildew here and there, yes. But, when I go to sleep (no easy task for me) on the bunkend on a level, flat surface up off the ground, I think I'm in camping heaven.

Now, I will admit, even though this is the first year with any kind of RV for us, I don't think a PUP is the right long term solution for us. Mainly because we want to haul our ATV with us AND camp, and we can't do that with THIS PUP. There ARE PUPs with toy haulers, but for the price, I might as well go with the full TT toy hauler and get hard sides and not having to "open up" to pack and unpack. Plus it gives me a place outside to store the ATV.

So, slumming it? Hardly! Getting the most out of my $2100 investment, heck yeah!