Sly Park CA - questions

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by world traveler, Jan 29, 2017.

1. world traveler

world traveler Member

A question for those who have been there: I booked a site at sly park that says 18' Motorhome - would my 20' popup fit along with midsize SUV? And what's the difference between sites - some sites are marked as 15' trailer site or 2(or 3 cars), and some are motorhome sites? I was going to book 15' trailer site first since it had better views and close to water but the description says "mildly steep", and another one "gently steep" so I decided to book motorhome site that is flat by their description.
    Bigger sites (especially water front) are not available for the dates I want or too far from the lake (close to the road).

Thanks in advance!

2. fdpinney

fdpinney New Member

Our inaugural trip in our Avalon was to Jenkinson in 2010. We were in a site I would describe as a cliff...we were west of the day use area. Did we ever learn a lot that trip. I actually blew out my knees accessing the trailer....learned we needed to get a additional step! Where the pup was parked was flat... but was so narrow door opened down the cliff. This should site was on the water. There are a bunch of sites on the east end of Lake that are all flat...and likely under water rigjt now and in a good water year may be really nice sites.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Watching this as I will be there for July 4th weekend.... Booked 3 sites in the Sierra Spur area. By the pictures I found, not too steep but not flat either. Like was previously stated, all the waterfronts booked up as soon as the reservation window opened.

Adam

4. world traveler

world traveler Member

I reserved in pinecone area - it doesn't seem too steep and I wanted some water views and proximity to water. We are going in July, after the 4th, as I work before and after so no long weekend. Please post your review if you go. This is the link to sierra spur campsites with the description of the sites I found: http://www.eid.org/Home/Components/PhotoAlbum/PhotoAlbum/14/364
    this is pinecone area sites: http://www.eid.org/Home/Components/PhotoAlbum/PhotoAlbum/6/364
    I hope the descriptions are accurate and also that we can fit in 18' area with a popup - according to the pics, there are no obstacles around.

5. world traveler

world traveler Member

Do you remember what area/site you were in? I wanted some water views so went with pinecone.

6. fdpinney

fdpinney New Member

My husband looked it up. We were in site 66 and 67 ( Sierra spur)....definite cliff. The description says gentle slope...I would argue that! Pinecone seems more flat...but.... We also had a boat that we put in water and kept at shore at site for tubing. For our first trip it was tough getting the pup in place...was certainly a memory. If you are close enough for a day trip may be worth it to check the booked sites.

2006 Dodge Megacab and 2006 Fleetwood Avalon

7. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

8. world traveler

world traveler Member

We are close enough but with work and kid activities, there is not much time so this is my way of checking it out by booking and looking for reviews.
    Thanks. Good to know what ghey mean by gentle slope...

9. world traveler

world traveler Member

It's on my list, thank you. However that particular weekend we are going after work on Friday and back Sunday so closer is better

10. world traveler

world traveler Member

Just want to post my review of the park. Stayed at pine cone peninsula which is lower to the water than other trailer sites of this park. The sites are very close together but still decent size. The park was full, and the day use area filled out by 10 am. The lake was nice and comfortably warm for swimming. We had a good time and the drive was not too bad even though we hit the rush hour and had to eat dinner along the route.

Adam H likes this.
  11. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Quoting myself here as i forgot to update. I see the OP has already returned from his trip so I hope this can help someone else... The Sierra Spur area definitely has larger sites but it is on a hill. Not a gentle slope but not a cliff either. I had to do some decent leveling work as the pad was not level either. Plenty of room for my Avalon and Excursion + some. Like the OP stated, the day use area filled up early so plan accordingly. I walked by the Pine cone area where the OP camped and though the sites were smaller, they were much closer to the water and much more level.
    FWIW, I camped 45 minutes east of Sly Park last weekend at Icehouse Reservoir, a little harder to get to, sites are smaller but I liked it better as the beach never filled up.

Adam