Small Dog in Popup

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by teh603, Apr 7, 2021.

1. teh603

teh603 Member

My wife and I have a small dog. He's a mix of Chihuahua and rat terrier, and weighs maybe 20 pounds.

Is it safe to take his little fuzz butt camping in a pup? Especially if we end up in bear country? We'd be keeping him inside the pup at night, and either inside it or on a modest leash during the day.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I take my dogs camping with me all the time in the popup. Although my littlest one is 20 pounds. They made the popup their jungle gym. In bear country feed the dog outside and not in the popup. Store your dog food in the car or bear box. Water bowl I keep outside. At night I may keep a separate tiny bowl ONLY for water in the camper. However it gets spilled a lot. My dogs sleep in a crate at night they treat their crate like a den and go in to de-stress. In my experience if your at camp during the day a bear is less likely to come around. At night they may nose their way around your camp, but so long as you follow the bear rules about food and other strong smelling things away from your sleeping place you should have few problems. The most important is have fun. My dogs love to camp and sniff all the smells.

3. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I have two big dogs in a small pop up.
    Keep a eye on him like you would anywhere else and maybe some bear spray.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  4. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Take the pups. They enjoy it also

Kyle R Thorson and firepit like this.
  5. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Take your doggo, they love to camp. I've found bears to be particularly wary of small dogs, they make too much noise. We bring ours all the time, but this is a pic of his first trip, and the dinette table was where he made his stand. Could not get him to sit any other place. We just lived with it. He spent the day in the PUP when we fished. I would do a check to see if your doggo stays in the PUP quietly when you leave. We walked away several times and came back at longer and longer times... by the end we came back and he was never barking, and the last check he was sleeping.

20130531_183351.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Pommom70, Rik Peery and firepit like this.
  6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

He's always on guard...LOL...This the the middle of the day I might add and he just walks over
    and stares at the door and up he goes for a 2 to 3 HR nap.[:D]

20201009_132955.jpg

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Bears do not like barking dogs. I know first hand. Nothing sneaks up on us without them going bananas. Take him along

8. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

I would be more worried about a Lion or a coyote.

9. kudzu

kudzu Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Will he be a polite camping neighbor? If so, take him. My dogs are a big reason I got the camper in the first place. Bringing pets can make camping more complicated, but it's very worth it. Most dogs love going camping. Some, like mine, aren't thrilled with camping but absolutely prefer it over being left home.

Because your dog is small he may be in a bit more danger then a larger dog. Bears aren't what I would worry about. Other dogs are a much bigger danger as well as coyotes & mountain lions, as Fish N Farm mentions. Tethering dogs leaves them very vulnerable. My preference would be a pen, either metal or mesh. Those certainly don't provide complete protection but will slow down an aggressive dog or coyote. Those extra few seconds could make all the difference. Also, your dog will be more comfortable. The metal pens are stronger, but also heavier and bulkier when folded down. I've room to store those on the bed in the Aliner, but in a canvas PUp you'd have to put those on the floor. The mesh pens are much lighter and have the advantage of a solid bottom and mesh top. However, dogs can rip through those with their claws or teeth should they choose. Some training might be needed for safe use. Still, for a small dog the mesh pen would be my preference.

Even with 3 large dogs in my campsite, I've had several folks' dogs come into my campsite to either visit with or confront my dogs, depending on the stray involved. It's a problem that could easily have escalated if my dogs had been tethered. With my dogs in a metal x-pen, effectively fenced in, I've been able to safely move the dogs off our site. Though one of my worries is the opposite of yours. While on walks in the campground, we have had yappy little anklebiters charge off their own sites and straight at my dogs, a couple literally trying to bite their ankles. These dogs were essentially bite-sized for my dogs. Had mine retaliated the offending dogs could have been seriously injured. In such cases, historically, it is the large, on-leash dogs that end up getting the blame and paying for it with their lives. I want to make things as safe as possible for everyone.

Sorry. I'll push my soap box back under my desk & wish you happy and safe camping. Bring the pup to camp in your PUp. :smiley:

10. Mike Whitney

Mike Whitney New Member

11. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

There is something about small dogs. They normally have no fear. They will jump on an elephant if it comes in to what they think is their territory. They beat all I have ever seen and they are fearless protecting their family. They remind me of the Jerry Clawer joke about the farmer getting a new bull and the other bulls were watching them unload him and they were looking thru the fenced and were retracting their words about not sharing any of the cows with him because he stood tall enough to look over the top rail and about this time the youngest bull there started kicking the fence, bellowing and, pawing the ground like he wanted to fight. The senior bull there said hey fool that bull will kill you what in the world are you doing? The baby bull said: I want hem to be sure that he knows I am a bull.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. You ain’t kidding about that. My folks lived in the country beside some woods and bear would sometimes wander in the yard looking in trash cans. Not knowing the bear was around when mom let her 5 pound and 10 pound dogs out, they took off towards the bear. Mom was freaking out when she saw what happened. The dogs were holding their own and eventually scared the bear back into the woods. Not a scratch on the dogs they come prancing up the front stoops like they were proud of themselves.

13. southern gal

southern gal Member

I absolutely loved Jerry Clower. I got a chance to see him in college. He was the best!

Pommom70 likes this.
  14. AfterAll

AfterAll Member

I would not leave your dog outside unattended. When you're away, keep him inside. When you're outside at the camper, put him on a lead. I have heard some heartbreaking stories. Not just bears but coyotes and wolves and big cats. Your little buddy is a family member. So you gotta keep him safe.

15. Rv Queen

Rv Queen New Member

We camp with our guy (sevice dog ) all over the country he's right at home lives for adventure. Always with him watching ravens and eagles fly. Be mindful snakes and fleas are not your friends. IMG_20210409_114416729.jpg

Rik Peery and TheBlurb like this.
  16. happybooker1

happybooker1 Member

And ALLIGATORS!! In Texas we are warned at several State Parks NOT to tie out our dogs at night. Lest they become "alligator bait". Here's a pic of a 12' one near the dock where my son was night fishing.

IMG_1270.JPG

Rik Peery and TheBlurb like this.
  17. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

The only dog that tried to bite me in 70 years was a small dog

18. teh603

teh603 Member

Yeah, I'd forgotten about them? But you're right, they're definitely a concern. He's almost definitely staying inside if we're not around or if we didn't take him with us. I could see him picking a fight with a mountain lion or a gator. Small dogs.