Small generator

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
I'm sure we need a generator, we have a small fridge, that's pretty much all I really want it for, isn't a small Honda enough to charge a deep cycle battery that will fit the bill for that need? I know their expensive but I do want the quietest one we can get. I would appreciate your input!

rsdata

Oct 3, 2011
N. KY
Certainly the Hondas are the quietest but also the most expensive. There is a 2200 and a 1000 watt Honda that is slightly cheaper that I’m sure will be adequate. Search YouTube for comparison videos with other brands.

NMroamer

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2016
Albuquerque NM
I have been using a Honda 1000-watt generator and a dual rate battery charger for several years now.
Works for me. I don't need 120 volts for anything I have. Get the cord that runs off DC output to jump start your tow vehicle in an emergency. $850.00 around here.

Being your own power company is some work.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
I have been using a Honda 1000-watt generator and a dual rate battery charger for several years now.
Works for me. I don't need 120 volts for anything I have. Get the cord that runs off DC output to jump start your tow vehicle in an emergency. $850.00 around here.

Being your own power company is some work.
Why the battery charger too? Isn't a generator enough?

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
hi @Susan Premo ... I'm with @xxxapache on the Harbor Freight suggestion.

we're "this close" to getting one ourselves... so far, I'm just not there yet ( for many reasons)

after doing my research, I'll go with the HF "Predator" Inverter/generator... if and when.

a couple hundred more than the1400 but, I'm willing to go that route... still "portable" and more usage around the house

Happy Trails!

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
We have a Champion Gen 2500 model #100899. Dual fuel and we always run it on propane as we carry that anyway for the trailer, grill and fire pit. No messy gas to haul around and go stale in the generator.

This model is only 39lbs and compact enough to fit in the trunk of our truck. It also is just enough power to simultaneously run our trailer’s Coolcat A/C and our 3.5cu ft ac/dc fridge.

It is a quiet closed case Inverter style generator and is just slightly louder than the quietest Honda 2200.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
I
hi @Susan Premo ... I'm with @xxxapache on the Harbor Freight suggestion.

we're "this close" to getting one ourselves... so far, I'm just not there yet ( for many reasons)

after doing my research, I'll go with the HF "Predator" Inverter/generator... if and when.

a couple hundred more than the1400 but, I'm willing to go that route... still "portable" and more usage around the house

Happy Trails!
Just looked that up, I think a 1400 would be enough, we really only need the fridge, maybein summer when it becomes hot and humid, and late fall it would be enough. I like the price too. It says oy available in store so we'll have to look around for a harbor freight, use to have one about 12 miles away.

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
slightly off topic, but parallel, not a tangent.
Are there any commercially available, liquid or gasseous fuelled, 12VDC electric generators?
It seems that most* camping generators are used to replenish the trailer battery, and that can be done without having to make 120VAC, then rectify and transform that to the 13-ish volts of DC. It also means a (non-Inverter) generator wouldn't have to spin at 3600 rpm to make 60 cycle AC frequency since the alternating current isn't needed.
There are AC generators galore from which to choose. There are fewer, but still many, with 12 VDC in addition to the 120 VAC, but I'm asking about 12VDC only.

* those that want the option of running the camper's air conditioning know who you are

I have three generators, but unlike Goldilocks none are 'just right'.
Champion 4500 (4kW) 3600 rpm 120/240 VAC as back-up at home
Briggs&Stratton 2000 (1.6 kW) variable speed Inverter to 120 VAC, plus 8A of 12V DC as backup for the Casita
Nissan 650 (.6 kW) 3600 rpm to 120 VAC, plus 10A of 12V DC as backup for the Coleman

Last edited:

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
W
I would run the fridge off propane. It sips propane. You will not even notice it. Probably can run the fridge for a month or 2 stright on one tank. Maybe more. Its atually the best fuel for a 3 way fridge.
We do run it on propane, but it needs battery power as well.