Small hack: attaching entry door seal to door.

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Tait, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Tait

Tait New Member

Hi all, first new thread!

We recently purchased a 2014 Aliner Expedition.

Several things needed work, including the entry door seal. The rubber around the entry door was splitting, centered at the point where the door folds.

Purchasing a new length was inexpensive, but it would not hold on to the door very well. I could have glued it on with some caulk, but I was a bit worried about getting the caulk off the frame next time the weatherstripping needed replacement.

I decided to try wedging a piece of self-fusing silicone tape into the gap to see if it would hold. It does, and very nicely! It should also be easy to remove. I just tried it this morning, so I can't tell you how the solution will hold up over time, but I am optimistic. And, if it does come off a bit, it's easy to put it back in place.

Here's a picture of the tape in position, with the entry seal ready to be pushed into place.

So, if you need a way to hold the entry door seal onto the door frame, consider self-fusing silicone tape. (I got my rolls from the dollar store).

2. Tait

Tait New Member

I should probably add, I used a short strip like in the picture about every 6 inches.

BostonDad likes this.
  3. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

Nice job. Where did you get the replacement stripping?

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

3M black super weatherstrip adhesive would be the proper glue to use. Thin coating on surface of metal and thin coating on weatherstrip, let dry stick on ....done deal. adding it to the edges where it meets the old weatherstrip would be a good idea also.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

u need to clean all the old weatherstripping and its glue off the doorframe

6. Tait

Tait New Member

The old edge guard was not glued in place, just friction fit and it came off very easily. It left a clean aluminum edge to put the new stripping on.This tape is holding on just fine so far, and I didn’t have to worry about cleaning the old glue off next time I had to change the rubber.

If it doesn’t work out very well, I will use the recommended glue. Thank you.

I got the new edge guard from my local Aliner dealer (I live about 11 miles away). Bob Miller RV in Beaumont, California.

7. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new Aliner!

I had to replace my door seal as well. Kevin at CNW told to use the adhesive used for auto door trim. It worked for a while, but the seal sagged from the top of the door frame over the past 2 years.

The new seal also split within the first season of use. I’m curious...does anyone know if this type of seal is still being used on newer models?

8. Tait

Tait New Member

It looked the same on the 2020 on the lot when we bought our 2014. So, Yes?

9. Tait

Tait New Member

And, thanks for the congrats! We are loving it - still in a honeymoon phase.

10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

can u post a simple sketch , please, I dont understand what you did.

11. Tait

Tait New Member

Hopefully this will help - see also picture in first post.
    DoorSealDrawing.jpg

Did that answer the question?