Small hole in roof - need advice!

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Spaceace5150, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

I have a 2014 Rockwood 1640ltd. A branch fell where I store my pup and it was mostly spared from damage except for a small hole. I am attaching a picture.

I didn't have many options last night as the camper is not at my house, so I caulked the hole with a regular window/door caulk that was available.

It also rained overnight about 8 hours after I put the caulk down.

What are your suggestions to have a better fix with this? I've read some older threads and Dicor Self-Leveling Sealant seems to be an option. I've also seen a fiberglass repair kit mentioned. What on your thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

If it was my pup, I would either put a piece of Eternabond on it or seal it with some Dicor.

Spaceace5150 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. UpNorth-John

UpNorth-John Member

That roof material appears to be thin FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic). Many caulk and tape repairs will do for short-term, but you may want a more permanent fix. My experience has been that a mechanical repair combined with a sealant is the best permanent fix. You have a couple choices, either sand it down smooth around that spot so that you can permanently glue a patch of FRP over it (they sell it in sheets at Menards) or you could drill and "pop" rivet an aluminum patch that is caulked in place. My pup is aluminum-skinned, so the pop rivet method was always my go-to for repairs like that. Fiberglas cloth and 15 minute epoxy is your other option, then paint to match afterwards. Just be sure it bonds well with the roof material.

Good luck.

Spaceace5150 likes this.
  4. Spaceace5150

Thanks for your advice!

5. Spaceace5150

Thanks! I am surprised how thin the roof material is. Appreciate your advice. The fiberglass cloth and epoxy are the fiberglass repair kits? Like this one? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bondo-Fiberglass-Resin-Repair-Kit-00420-0-45-Pint/17056867

6. UpNorth-John

UpNorth-John Member

Actually, a typical fiberglass repair kit uses polyester resin (common in boats). Without getting into the polymer physics and molecular differences, epoxy is basically much stronger for the same thickness and weight. Both can be painted. In either case, good prep of the surface is required, sand those "nubs" off, rough it up a bit (80 grit paper), clean with acetone or lacquer thinner before bonding. Let it cure 24-48 hours before painting. You want his repair to be stronger than original and last forever.

7. Spaceace5150

Thanks, I am learning a lot. Is there a product you would recommend?

I appreciate the tips - the polyester resin kits use fiberglass cloth then layer of the resin. Is it the same process for epoxy?

8. UpNorth-John

UpNorth-John Member

Yes, the process is exactly the same, just substitute 15 minute epoxy. So you want to wet the area with epoxy, apply the cloth, then wet it out with epoxy...try to keep it thin. Let it dry 24-48 hours. If there is any exposed cloth fibers, paint it again with epoxy (you want it sealed in). Then after drying, sand lightly and paint to match the top.

Pretty much any slow cure epoxy and fiberglass cloth (guessing about 6 ounce) should work. Just use 15 minute cure time so you have some time to work (30 minute works too if you can find it). Don't try it with 5 minute epoxy.

Spaceace5150 likes this.
  9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would put a piece of Eternabond on it and put Dicor over that.

Spaceace5150 likes this.