Small mystery????

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by jash1178, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

[?:~{] We just got in to geocaching today and on our second one, which is along a river in a wooded area not really far from home. Well deep in the woods we found a large camping tent and a fully setup campsite, not an unusual thing to find in the woods. Yelled "hello", no one around. This campsite has been talked about on the webpage for this particular geocache as a "spooky deserted campsite" for a while so it has been there for sometime. The kids and I left it alone but now I am curious, should I return to further investigate?? [}:)]. Would love to hear some input. [{:)]...... [LOL]

2. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

And it was on private property and you were tresspassing ...(?)

No, then it was in a national forest ...(?)

Maybe a moonshine still ...(?)

Meth lab ...(?)

3. jash1178

Off an old logging road that prob. still belongs to a major lumber corporation.

Well I work in the law enforcement field, maybe I will investigate and call the sheriff if need be. [{:)]

4. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Do you have a legal reason to investigate this on a lumber company's private property?
    Does the lumber co. need to be notified or do they need to make the call?
    Many roads around here are gated and posted "no trespassing" by the landowner which is more often than not - a lumber company.

5. jash1178

This has no gate, no signs, and is frequently visited by people fishing at the river. This road is only maybe 200 ft. long, dead ends, and has two branch roads off of it maybe 75 ft. long that are all grown up that dead end at the river.

However on the other hand, if I can get in touch with said landowner, solve the campsite mystery, it would be a beautiful site for boondocking with the pup.... [}:)].....with permission of course [;)] [:D]

6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

probably a homeless site.

7. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

If it were me I don't think I would do anything as I don't own the property. But if you're concerned about safety, you can find out who owns the property at the county property tax/assessment office. You would be able to get the mailing address of the owners and send them a letter advising of the campsite with an explination of why you're concerned.

The owners will either have it looked into or do nothing.

8. electronflux

electronflux Member

what's the big deal? It's a campsite in the woods. Just because no one was there means nothing. Making mountains out of molehills. There's nothing in his story to suggest that foul play is involved or anyone is doing anything wrong.

Contacting the landowner to see if you can camp there is a good idea though

9. Twisty

Twisty New Member

"what's the big deal? It's a campsite in the woods. Just because no one was there means nothing. Making mountains out of molehills. There's nothing in his story to suggest that foul play is involved or anyone is doing anything wrong."

If it is abandoned it needs to be cleaned up (removed).
    If it is occupied, why? Legit? Homeless?

10. 1madscot

1madscot Member

I guess I'd like to know more about what you saw. Did it look like it really was abandoned? Was there evidence of any recent use, like a working fire pit or coals? Was the tent in good repair, and secure, or falling down? Any signs of a trail going in and out? Any clothing or towels hanging from lines or branches? Was there a cooler (hopefully with some cold ones in it)? Camp stove? Let's put that LEO training to use; observe, take notes, get details, get the report in. If it is abandoned, it needs to be cleaned and the area restored. Someone in need-here's a chance to help. Something on the dark side, a chance to stop it. Looking forward to your report.

11. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

My first ? is why, what will you benifit from curiosity. It adds to the mystery of the geocach [;)] and if the person or company finds out people are poking around they might post it as no trespassing [V].
    Many places like Alaska, Colorado, NM, all have camp shelters for hikers and hunters that you bring your own tarps and stretch them accross to make a shelter from the elements and that's why they don't tear them down.

12. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I agree its a part of the Geocach, leave it for the next to discover and wonder.. [8D]