Smoke alarm in pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by AmandaLandrum, May 10, 2016.

1. AmandaLandrum

AmandaLandrum New Member

Does anyone have a smoke/fire alarm in the pup? It was suggested to put one up on ceiling. So I did. And this weekend was our first trip out. And on the second night 3 hours after bed. It went off. Woke everyone up in camp. New unit. New batteries. No one camping on either side of us. Our fire had been out for over 3 hours. Talk about scaring the kids. I pulled the battery. Turned lights on. And no smoke inside or outside pup. We had bunk ends open and a fan running. Anyone have issues like this before?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We do not have a smoke detector in our pup. We did have a CO detector that went bad. I removed the batteries and the power feed to it. To me a smoke detector (depending how sensitive it is) will detect your neighbors campfire! Most of the campgrounds I have been to have this lingering haze of smoke at night. The smoke detector might alarm to this. Basically you have a smoke detector in a tent!!

Keep in mind smoke detector manufactures recommend that you do not install one outside of the bathroom due to humidity!! It can set off the detector...been there done that!!

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I'd never bother with a smoke detector, just too many "false positives" there. More annoying than helpful.

Besides, if there were a fire, it'd all be over and done by the time you woke up, got your pants on and put your feet on the floor

At the DW's insistence, we use a battery powered CO detector.

4. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

No smoke detector, had a Carbon Monoxide detector but it died (not the battery the actual detector) last fall. Have been trying to decide if I should replace it or not. Do not use the stove inside and have only used the furnace once. We are looking at ceramic heaters so we do not have to use the furnace any longer due to the noise at night.

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

We always have a CO detector, smoke detector, and LPG detector. They are cheap insurance.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Had all three in the pup and have all three in the TT .. Actually my insurance company asked which ones I had..

7. jasba

jasba Member

We just replaced our CO/LPG detector since the old one was past the end of its life. However I am also debating about the smoke detector. We have one in there but the batteries are dead and I was debating about whether or not it was worth replacing or putting new batteries in. Smoke is everywhere in the campground. I figure it would be going off all the time. We are new to pop ups though so I am not sure. Our tent never required one. [CP]

8. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

Had one. Took it out.
    It came with the camper from the factory, and was mounted on the ceiling near the fantastic fan.
    I thought it was a great idea. I mean, safety first, right?
    But then we had a camp fire, and the windows unzipped, and I realized after 5 minutes that it would be an issue. I took it down, and stuck it in the drawer. It's been there for two years.

9. Ali N Derek

Ali N Derek New Member

Our 2012 Jayco came with a smoke detector and a CO detector. The batteries died in the smoke alarm, we replaced them. We have never had an issue with either alarm going off like that.

10. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

What code was flashing on it's LED indicator? Get your instructions, the light should be flashing in a pattern and this may offer a clue.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have one, only go's off when cooking inside or cooking outside near the smoke detector.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

When a smoke detector alarms the first thought should be that products of combustion are triggering the detector whether or not your senses can detect anything. They do malfunction however but that shouldn't be your first thought.

13. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

My Jayco had one mounted to the ceiling. Maybe factory or PO? Since it could have been 23 years old if factory, I bought a First Alert with a 10 year battery. Since I use both propane and space heater, IMHO a false alert is better than a necessary alert that doesn't come.

14. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I do not have a smoke detector in my PUP.

I might install one of these alarms though...

[​IMG]

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

X2 and cheap insurance too.

16. AmandaLandrum

AmandaLandrum New Member

We don't have a propane heater in the pup. We do have a small tabletop ceramic heater . Although since I am new to camping. We haven't had to use it yet.

17. AmandaLandrum

AmandaLandrum New Member

This is an after market standard household one. I pup didn't come with one. So no readout. It just flashed it's only button and screamed. Scared us.

18. AmandaLandrum

AmandaLandrum New Member

It is possible it was too humid in there. We woke in the morning and the thermometer we have showed 80 percent humidity. We did have a fan going and three windows open. Only difference was the night before wasn't as humid and more windows open. I may Try buying a new one and giving it one more try. If it does it again. I am Done with em. I am not sure if I need a co one. We don't have a propane heater. And we don't have lp tank hooked up to inside stove. And it's only turned on at tank when we use it outside attached to outside stove.