Smoking, smelly battery

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by sallugo, Oct 15, 2016.

1. sallugo

sallugo Member

So yesterday I noticed my battery was smoking. The cells were low so I filled up. I am sure it was being overcharged.

This morning, same thing is happening and smelling. Might be time for a new battery, you think?

I am loosed up to 30 amp right now, so no need for battery, correct? I can disconnect for time being...thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

PUT ON A FACE SHIELD AND UNHOOK THAT BATTERY NOW! Preferably at the far end of the ground wire, where any spark is away from the battery! It could be raining acid from exploding battery at any second!

3. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

You are correct about not needing the battery when hooked to shore power as long as the converter is OK. Even if it is not, ScoobyDoo has given the best advice ie. unhook the battery now before it explodes and/or bursts spewing acid on everything.

4. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

If that battery is still hooked up, Stop reading! Go unhook it!
    Many people post about their fear of propane, but you never hear about the explosive power and potential of the lead-acid battery. After it is disconnected, mix some baking soda and water, and splash it all over the area, on everything that the acid/gas could of got to. Likely to late for any cloth, or bare steel, but you might save the painted, plastic, or wood. If nothing else you want to neutralize all the acid before you get it on you, spread it around. After you have done your best to neutralize it, hose off everything in the area real well. (Some think the hose should be the place to start. I would worry that I flushed some acid into someplace where it could just ride around eating whatever...)

5. sallugo

sallugo Member

Thanks! It is unhooked! Another question...for the ride back home, do the electric brakes work off of battery or from towing vehicle when hooked up?

6. sallugo

sallugo Member

It was just smoking from cells, didn't spill over. I think we are good there.

7. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

The brakes are powered by TV. Without a battery on the trailer you will have no break-away system. Take extra care when hooking up.

You can think what you want. Smoke will not come from cells. What you see is gassing acid. Every thing that gas touched is at risk, and a risk to anything that touches it. It's yours, you can do what you want. I have never had this kind of problem with a camper. A Cat loader is built out of heavier, much more durable steel...

8. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Just to be on the safe side, you could get a new battery on the way home.

9. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

You could do that. First, after the battery has been unhooked for awhile, long enough that the top does not feel any warmer than any other plastic, check the voltage. If it above about 9, (Over double what I have ever seen on the controller display) I would hook up only the brake-away system.
    It might be that you have a bad battery, or it might be your converter is overcharging the battery. If the battery might be the problem, better not hook up any charge (Does you TV charge the battery?) to it. If the problem is the converter over charging, or a short in the system, do you want to risk a new battery before you get it figured out?
    Of course, you could hook the new battery to only the brake-away...

10. dion

dion Member

Sounds to me like the battery is being overcharged. If it were me, I wouldn't get a new battery until I had verified that the converter was regulating the charging properly, because the converter that already ruined one battery would probably like nothing better than to have a brand new battery available for it to ruin right away.

11. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

I would fix the electrical problem and get an agm battery. [CP]