Smowmaggon

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by vagov, Jan 21, 2016.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

We have little over 2 feet of snow here. My HOA stinks about plowing. They own all the roads in the development and supposedly hires out. Well it is to the cheapest contractor who only makes one swipe and gone and requires a lot of shoveling out to get to said path. Well their truck got stuck yesterday the second they turned into the neighborhood. So to say nothing got done. Got a message from the HOA this morning they are working on something else but will be afternoon before we see them. My 4 wheel drive is great, but not in snow past the bumper of the car. So yeah I truly can't get out. Sure wish the state owned these roads then I might see results.

2. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

The more I read on here the more I realize that down south here we have no clue about how much industry there is surrounding the removal of snow. Not only do we not have trucks that will spread salt or other chemicals on the road to clear the thinner ice, we have no snow plows, show shovels, etc and I doubt most owners of 4x4s have ever had to turn on the 4x4 mode with the exception of a few people who grew up near or on farms. I really am amazed at what some areas of the country go through just to get by day to day. Can't even imagine having to change out and store a second set of tires every year so I could just drive on the roads as normal.

Good luck to all of those buried in under snow!

3. steve7-4

steve7-4 'I'd rather be camping'

Yeah, I feel really lucky here in Chicago, have paid the dues in the past. I do feel for the folks in the northeast. I like the comments by 'Hoosier Daddy', yes there are many people that will not make the extra effort. I know of people that will not leave their home 15 minutes earlier because of snow and they just wander into work late. My hats off to you Hooiser Daddy, good ethics.

4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Beecoach, a little north of you. 40 miles as the crow flies SE of Pittsburgh, and about 20 miles north of the M&D line.

Its about 30" here the way I measure it, with my back and snow shovel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

Our area has a decent investment in snow removal equipment and is pretty good at clearing out moderate snow. These big ones are another story though. There just isn't enough equipment & personnel to go around nor should there be. Investment in extra equipment to handle it would be a waste given that this only happens once every five years or so. Patience is a virtue.

There are some around our neighborhood who just don't understand this. The sense of entitlement is extraordinary. "I pay $xxx dollars in HOA fees and I can't believe they haven't plowed my street yet."

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We had 30" and our town did an excellent job at getting the streets cleared by yesterday. On Saturday they were having a hard time keeping up with it though!

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Enough equipment for once every decade or more storms is one issue for us (& if they invested in that, people would complain the money hadn't been spent elsewhere), and jurisdiction is another. We found that out in the bad storm over the holidays, when the eastern plains of NM took many, many days to get cleaned out; we didn't get as much snow. While we sort of realize one of the main roads we use north and south in town is actually a state road, it really effected how things were cleaned up. On the state's list, it has much lower priority than the main interstates, which they had to repeatedly clear for this storm. The cross streets are city streets, as are all the streets on the east and west of that road. We had ice and snow, so it was interesting for a couple of days.

8. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

We had 35 inches in my town and all our streets are clear also. Driving to work today several towns only plowed one and a half of the lanes on local streets. All the highways were blacktop today though.

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The big issue with this much is where do you put it. You can have a plow for every street but you can only plow it to so many places. Its to the point that it needs to be loaded and trucked somewhere but I know our Township is not equipped for that either from an equipment or financial standpoint.

Actually 30" is not that much, but it is much when its dumped all at once in about an 18 hour period. It is Smowmaggon let it smow, let it smow, let it smow.

I can picture John (Vagov) typing that word on his smartphone with frozen thumbs [LOL]

10. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

They've got front loaders, back hoes, and dump trucks working our neighborhood. There are huge 10+ foot piles we've created from driveway shoveling. My shoulders hurt...

The Washington Post weather folks named this one Snowzilla (the 'godzilla' el nino being a contributor).

11. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

@ Old_Geezer

Those pics were great! Thanks for sharing. That amt of snow and more is what we are used to up here, and need more of in order for all of our winter activities to be warranted. Many people (including us) spend good hard earned money on winter activities including hockey, snowmobiling, skiing and even snow equipment. We were born and raised this way so this is what we know...Once camping season gets wrapped up in October, we turn to tuning up the snowmobiles and getting the plows and snowblowers ready for 6 months of winter. At least!!

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is...when the southern states get blasted with snow and you aren't used to it...I don't know how you cope. I can see why so many states of emergency were called and school and companies were shut down and grocery stores were emptied.
    We don't think of scenarios like that up here...because we beg for more snow. We have 4x4 and when we get 2 feet of snow overnight, we drive right through it.

I do hope everyone is ok and everyone comes out of this storm alright. I was thinking of many portal friends when I heard about it. :)

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

yea old geez, my hands where cold, i had to clear a large area in the yard down to the grass line , so the dog could do it,s business, then cover it back up.... gone until tomorrow! [LOL]

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

That's what our town does. They plowed everything and during the night starting about 11 PM they get their front loaders and dump trucks and haul the stuff away to ball fields and soccer fields. But the end of this week those giant mounds in town will be on the fields!!

14. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

The good news about this mess, the ski slopes were terrific today, the drive to and from not so much.

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Man, that brings back memories of living in NW Wisconsin on Lake Superior!! And they get NASTY if you don't make a path for the mailman and meter readers! I shoveled twice and went to WalMart and bought a little snow blower. LOVED it! My senior neighbor taught me to 'dance' with it in the back alley. Really though, it was just his way of getting me close enough to him to swing his chute and blast my a$$ right off my feet!! [:O] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] I got my licks in too though! Sweet, sweet old guy. He's passed now but that photo brought it all back to me.

We're about 20 miles North of Martinsville now, and we got right at 18". It was all that light fluffy stuff, thank God!! But I had to raise the TT front as far as it would go, hoping it will melt off fast and just fall off the back. There's NO WAY I'm getting on a ladder in the aftermath of 'snot'. Not to mention it freezes overnight all over again. Just hoping no leaks form!

Thanks for the smile! [A] [A]

[:D]

16. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

[​IMG]
    We got dug out, and got someone to plow the road (just one car width). Ironically, UPS should be delivering my new snow tires tomorrow, but won't be able to get down my road!

17. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We only got a foot of snow (can't believe I just said that) [:O] We are 20 miles south of Pittsburgh and it was 44 degrees on my way to work this morning and 55 degrees when I left work. Snow is all but gone except for the piles from shoveling. Feel for those who were stuck on the PA Turnpike for 18 plus hours.