Snapped Main Cable & Crank Handle Bolts

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by DIY-Bri, Jun 29, 2019.

1. DIY-Bri

DIY-Bri New Member

Hey all -

I'm officially part of the "membership" as of yesterday as I pulled the trigger on a 1970 Starcraft Starmaster 8, for its age, in beautiful condition. My first ever pop up, and I can't wait to get out and use it.

Today I attempted to pop it up for the first time and snapped the main cable, likely due to old age combines with me not quite knowing when to stop.

I replaced the main cable and got the pop up opened up, however, I fear something is not quite right as the crank operation seems very challenging and not smooth at all. I realize there is some manually effort involved, but it feels like almost too much strain on the cable system?

The crank handle attaches to the winch gears via what looks like a modified bolt on system, but the tension is so much on the bolts that they shear and break after a few rotations. Pictures attached. You can see the "graveyard" of old pins from previous owner as well as the snapped previous cable.

What can I do to make cranking it up more smooth? This is one of those, "there has to be a better way" deals, but being a rookie, I don't know where to look or what to do.

1) is there a way to grease operation or lubricate somewhere?
    2) Any ideas where to get a handle that may fit this rig better than my modified version?
    3) If no to #2, what bolt on system could better withstand this tension?

Thanks in advance. I'll do my best to stay on top of replies with questions that may help you all if my pics are not sufficient.

The portal was kicking out my pics, so here is a link to album: https://imgur.com/a/BajnJYS

2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

Yes, find a way to clean and lubricate the lift system. I'll bet there is rust all throughout the whole system.

3. DIY-Bri

DIY-Bri New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I sprayed some Blaster on the pulleys underneath the trailer yesterday which seemed to help a bit. I am going to try to find a welder to add about 2" of steel tubing to the handle as well to avoid it rubbing on the trailer frame when cranking. Hopefully these 2 updates will assist.

How often is it recommended to lubricate the lift system?

4. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

The recommendation is to check and lube everything at the beginning of each "Season". If you are a year-round camper, then I guess that would mean once per year. If you have a Whiffletree lift system, it can get a little more involved. That long jack screw in there needs to be cleaned and lubed real well.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  5. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

I’ll guess being a 1970, it has an L&G system or similar. If it is, it’s Basically the winch, adjustment plate and a combination of cables, pulleys, some wound steel called springs on the corners and the posts. On my Viking. The winch, rear cables and plate is in the rear, and the cables to the front run inside the street side cabinets. I can access them with the beds pulled out. If that is your system, the pulleys rust or get gummy, sometimes the cables get misaligned, and the springs rust and jam. Blaster then lube the pulleys and especially the springs, dry silicone on the posts, and lube the winch. Check the cables and try it out. Cranking the top up, it should feel heavy but crank easily. Watch over-cranking it as over time you will bend the adjustment turnbuckles or pull a cable or pulley out of alignment.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

DIY-Bri likes this.
  6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I did find this, https://rvworkshop.com/sc_images/Starcraft_lift_system_82___older.pdf Hope it helps.

I'm no expert, but that winch looks like a modified boat trailer winch to me. Does it have a clutch or when letting down do you release the pawl and hang onto the handle.
    It may be an illusion of the pics but it also looks like the drum is not straight in the winch frame. Either the frame is bent or the bushings on the shaft are gone.

DIY-Bri likes this.
  7. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Yup, yours is NOT the system I described above. As such I’m no help on your winch either. Mine does have a clutch type affair. Basically crank one way to raise, the other to lower.

Good luck with yours.

DIY-Bri likes this.