snowy trip

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by kitphantom, Nov 11, 2011.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We just returned from 5 nights in Grand Canyon, I stayed in Trailer Village while DH backpacked for 4 of those nights. This was the 4th time I've been to the Canyon during the same week in Nov. and the coldest temps as well as the first time it snowed.
    Since I had power (the reason we'd opted for Trailer Village instead of Mather CG) I stayed nice and warm, with PUGs, Gizmos new bunk end liners, electric mattress pad, space heater and furnace.
    Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]
    Packing up took a lot longer than usual, due to dealing with icy patches around the pup, ice on the Gizmos, the door mat was frozen into the mud, etc. etc.

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

brrr, can't see pic [8D]

3. kitphantom

Here's the link to the album:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitphantom/

I'll try again for the pic of the pup, I am definitely not good at embedding pics:
    [​IMG]

yes it was chilly, 15 degrees one night, highs mostly in the low 30s, I walked 7-8 miles on the rim trail one day in pretty much snow storm conditions. I've long wished to see the Canyon with snow on it, but expected we'd need to make a trip mid-winter. Our travel days were pretty good, we avoided the worst of the wind until just outside Flagstaff.

4. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Very nice paint work and camper. I also enjoy roughing-it in the snow. Makes me think about taking birdseed on my next camping trip.

5. freenaz

freenaz Member

Nice rig and the pix of the Grand Canyon are great. I'm not sure I would be so brave or prepared to camp in weather that cold. BRRRR [:>(]

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yeah, looking at that snow just chills me to the bone. I'm heading to the Grand Canyon in the Spring but I'll wait until it warms up enough to avoid that.

7. jeffanddeb

jeffanddeb New Member

Great pictures and did I mention how much I love Florida [SUN]

8. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

Those are very beautiful pictures. For me, I pledged a l-o-n-g time ago, never to use the words "snow" and "camping" in the same sentence.

9. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

[​IMG]
    Snowy camp, Grand Canyon Nov 2011 by kitphantom, on Flickr

On Flickr go to "Grab the Link". Change the option to "BBCode". Copy and paste here. No need to use the extra [url= and all that stuff that this site provides by clicking on that box with the picture... it's already there. Hope this helps.

10. themanfromvan

11. kitphantom

This was one of those trips that was not the one we'd planned, exactly, but I got to see a lot of things I have not on other trips. I took a lot of pictures because the light, clouds, etc. were changing quickly. I saw a raven (in the campground) roll in the snow - who knew they would take a snow bath?

DH was below snowline, after the first mile or so of trail - he hiked 85 miles in 5 days. I was sorry to miss some of the trip he had in the bottom of the Canyon, but was very glad not to have to hike up Bright Angel when the last section was icy.

12. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Beautful photo of the Canyon in the snow!! Makes me want to sit by the fireplace and watch it on the big screen. [LOL] I noticied there weren't any foot paths to the BBQ but the scenes really are beautiful!

13. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

Awesome pictures! We went there this summer, thankfully no snow! :)

14. themanfromvan

15. volkster

volkster Member

We went to the GC for a family trip over Thanksgiving weekend one year. It snowed the entire time, we barely saw a thing! Just a ledge with white space beyond it. We spent a good deal of our time helping tourists push their rental cars out of the snow.

85 miles in 5 days is amazing! Has your husband read Colin Fletcher's account of hiking the entire canyon? If not, maybe it would be a good Christmas present! http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Walked-Through-Time/dp/0679723064/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321123038&sr=1-1

16. kitphantom

Yes, while it was neat for us to see the Canyon in the snow, it is sad for those who travel many miles to find it filled with fog, clouds and/or snow - however, it is nature and there is no "clear view" button.

I have read The Man Who Waked through time, though it has been a long while. I like to backpack some, but Fletcher's style was just a bit too minimalist for me.

Thanks you to themanfromvan for telling me how to link my pictures, I'd never found "grab the link".

17. tjcamp

tjcamp New Member

I love the Grand Canyon, it's so awesomely beautiful!

18. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Kit- that's one great looking camper you got!
    MR

19. kitphantom

Thanks [;)]. I think we're going to personalize it with some lizard decals when it warms up - we have the decals, we just need to figure out placement without various impediments (furnace, drain, etc.)

We already have a couple days scheduled at North Rim in late May - when we hope not to have new snow, nor too much lingering from the winter. The first trip we made to North Rim was a year they had something like 175% of normal snowfall, and the trails were being shoveled out.

20. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Nice pic with the camper in the snow and the Grand Canyon