So Cal Friends- Do you actually use your AC?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Grakken, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Grakken

Grakken Member

Hello Friends,

I know the folks in the other parts of the country absolutely need it but do we? It can get pretty stupid hot here too, though we usually don't have the humidity unless we get a storm come up from Mexico (like we just did) I am very seriously considering adding it but I get the feeling it may not be needed MOST of the time. Ive been reading more and more on the Gizmos. Those seem like they work really well. I suppose I can get without for now and add it later if needed...Still like to hear your experiences.

2. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

If I were camping locally, I don't need the A/C, because summer go to those high country, or by the ocean.
    While I had long distance camping trip through So Cal many times, the A/C became the must have.
    Especially our camping trips always run in summer months such as July or August.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

First, while the Gizmos are great, they will not bring the inside temperature below ambient. They will just prevent it from getting too far above ambient. I've had very good results using Gizmos, Reflectix window inserts and the awning while camping in SoCal and Arizona deserts. With Gizmos on the roof I put Reflectix in windows exposed to the sun and opened all of the other windows 100%. I also shielded the front of the PUP with the awning. Some people have installed a second awning on the other side to shade even more of the windows.

One other thing about adding AC is that you will then be restricted to CGs that have hookups whenever you want to use it. That leaves out a lot of super places to camp. Hookup sites always cost more than non-hookup ones and are usually much smaller and crammed closer to adjoining sites.

Finally, when I sold my PUP and got a TrailManor I ended up with (a used) one that had an AC. Even though I camp in desert high temperatures a lot I almost never use it. If I had ordered a new trailer I would certainly not have included an AC. It's another 200 pounds to haul around and creates wind drag. It also prevents me from getting the trailer into the garage.

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

We don't have one on our pup. Just open all the windows and set up where a tree will shade us during the day.

5. smw526

smw526 Member

We bought our PuP new in June of last year. Everything others have said is true, so the bottom line is it comes down to where you are going and when. Plus how much time you'll be inside during the day, as it usually cools off enough to be comfortable at nite. We have used ours twice so far. It's one of those things that is nice to have when you want or need it. For me, while we don't use it a lot here in SoCal, I'm glad we got it.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

My first 2 popup had A/C but my 3rd doesn't. Since moving from Alabama, where people can die from humidity, A/C was a must have, now that I live here in CA, no I don't need one. I camp mostly near beach where it is always cool...

7. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

for me, Air is a must for NC high humidity summers. We usually camp mostly in the 3 other seasons, but when we do join friends in hot weather, I don't leave home without it.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I hate camping in the summer when I grew up in NC. I was sweating like a river and created a lake around my feet without moving or exercising. Now that I moved to CA, its dry and I don't sweat unless I am standing in direct sun. And my sweat dried up quickly. But funny a few weeks ago we had 75% of humidity in California, the Californians were freaking out!!!!! It wasn't really that bad.

9. Grakken

Grakken Member

We ended up getting it installed. Better to have it just in case. :) I took it out on the maiden voyage last weekend, of course to a place with no hookups and I was REALLY wishing i had AC..lol of course I didn't even have 12v power but that's a different story. [;)]

10. Jimmy the rug

Jimmy the rug New Member

Use it all the time when I need it and when I have shore power. Love the A/C

11. Jmcgsd

Jmcgsd New Member

IMHO it depends on where you camp. I spent last summer CG hosting for the NPS at 6700' in the Sierras. I spent last weekend at a Bluegrass festival in Vista, CA. Both were dry camping with no hookups so I needed to use my Honda EU2000 to run the A/C.

I used more fuel for the genny during a weekend in Vista than I did during the entire summer last year!