So easy to tow!

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by MaeKay, Jun 18, 2018.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

We managed to sell our Bayside for a profit and for only a few hundred dollars more bought a 2015 Salem Cruise Lite 195BH. We drove several hours away (to our favorite national park) to purchase it and then spent the night in it. It was HEAVEN! (The AC sort of spoiled me but I don’t foresee us staying at places with hookups very often)

I was so nervous about towing a full profile trailer. It was so easy and rock solid! We put it through its paces by climbing to the top of a peak that was 10,000 feet and 8% grade and down again. Then driving home we drove through a wind storm. Didn’t even affect the trailer or car one bit. The horrible roads in Utah county were the worst part of our trip and even those were manageable. (Seriously, anyone who has driven I-15 through Provo knows what I’m talking about...) Then we hit a rain storm and got home at midnight. The entire time we just took it easy and knew that if we needed to pull over and wait it out...we had beds all set up and ready!

Now for customizing before our long trip this weekend!

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Congratulations!!!!

I see us heading to the dark side sooner rather than later.

We have been back and forth for a year on what kind of TV to buy. What do you tow with?

3. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Some people might disagree (and I’m not interested in arguing with them) but we tow with a 2007 V8 Toyota 4Runner. It towed beautifully. Sure, we were only going 50 mph on some of the steeper freeway grades and in low gear going up to the top of the mountain but it was worth it.

We especially like the bunk beds. (How many grandkids do you usually bring along?) Didn’t think we could find that in this small of a trailer and still have a separate master bed. I hate those floor plans with the double bed in the corner with a single bunk above because that double bed is shoved in between 3.75 walls and is way too tiny for my 6’2” husband. This one still only has a double bed but it’s along the front wall nd has room at the foot for an extension. And we don’t have to convert the dinette to actually use the bed (unless a fifth person joins us...)

I also like the fact that the bathroom is at the back so the walking space feels open enough. Some of the ones I’ve looked at seem so cramped with the bathroom along the side.

Attached Files:

Orchid likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You will love it more and more, especially in inclement weather, stormy just get inside and unhook later, everything is already inside, open and waiting. My Coleman has a walk around queen bed, we still had to add 4" of foam tho as it was like sleeping on concrete. It will not take long to get used to the extra weight behind you. Good luck and Keep on Camping

MaeKay likes this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I looked your model up on YouTube earlier today. Looks like a perfect layout for us, too!

Glad to hear your TV tows it nicely.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    MaeKay likes this.
  6. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

The bed was horrible in mine too. As me and wife have bad back and prefer harder beds. I ended up using a memory foam topper and then picking up a full foam mattress for 200 from a bedding place. It helps me sleep real good.

my kids love the bunk, the leather couch or dinette has been taken over by my Labrador . she switches depending on her mood..

MaeKay likes this.
  7. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Orchid, I discovered another brand that has an indentical floorplan to our Salem so when you end up being in the market it can broaden your search. (I keep looking and I seriously haven’t found anything as perfect as ours in such a small body)

2016 Coleman Dutchmen 17FQ.

http://www.dutchmen.com/coleman/floorplans-and-pictures/floorplan-details/?modelId=22914

Orchid likes this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

We have the 2016 Coleman Lantern CTS 16 FB. (bought new) We love it, just two of us and the rat pack, easy to tow, and doe not hurt our gas mileage much more than the PUP. I did a lot of mods to "make it my own" It does not have a slide and really on is not needed.

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I really like this floor plan. Has everything you need and nothing you don’t in a light and compact package perfect for a family with a couple kids in tow.

There are actually several models with this same floor plan. Almost all brands have a model like it. A few others I‘ve found are the Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 184bh, K-Z Sportsmen Classic 180BH, Shasta Oasis 18BH, Coachmen Apex Nano 185BH, Coachmen Clipper/Viking 17BH, etc, etc.

One thing I’ve found is that some are narrower and don’t have the walking room at the foot of the bed. The trade-off is that they are lighter and easier to tow due to the narrower profile.

MaeKay likes this.
  10. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

I am seriously considering the same floor plan in the Jayco. We have looked at a good number of different layouts and that just seems like the best one for us too. Two adults and two kids. Everything we need in something that is not huge and just a waste of space.

11. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Rigger, after a 2 week road trip last year and three more camping trips since then I can honestly say we love it. The only thing I would change would be to have a king bed (which is laughable, I know, but my husband and I knock knees when we're sleeping in the queen). My kids sleep better because the bunks are dark (my daughter is very social and struggles falling asleep). Like you said, everything we need, none of the extra weight and hassle of a bigger trailer.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. penny

penny Well-Known Member

just a comment on TV. We tow with a 4L V6 4runner and it has been amazing! high temps, grades, winds...nothing seems to be a problem. our trailer is a 21'8" starcraft with a dry weight of 3100#. My sis and her DH tow a heavier and taller trailer with a V8 4 runner. also no problem, but we average much better gas milage. last 2000 mile trip, we averaged 14 mpg. both our vehicles have higher milage. ours, 132000, theirs almost 200000.

MaeKay likes this.