So frustrated...to tears...with canvas replacement.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by k-t-did, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Try some Dawn dish soap. I used it to help slide my awning bag into the track. I also used it for the j channel on the bottom when I replaced the canvas on my Jayco. You don't need to slather it on, a little goes a long way. I used my finger to spread it on the welt. It also helps to have the roof lower so it is easier to work with, and a helper to keep it level as you work with it.

xxxapache likes this.
  2. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Orchid: Did yours have the rubber beading that goes into the channel? Or rope sewn into the canvas all along the edge? I can see where the rubber beaded edge would "pop" in as you describe, but the rope in the hem of the canvas doesn't behave that way. It's hard to describe. It has no give to it, I guess. Let me know how yours was designed, before I remove all the 10+ hours of work we have done to start over. Ugh. It's a mess. Thanks for the input.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ours has a rubber edge that pops into the channel.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Lots of great suggestions here, but I have one that I don't think was mentioned: Give Canvas Replacements a call. See if they have any tips for how to install their product. This can't be the first time they've had questions like this.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Same as a bolt rope in the boom of a sailboat. Except that in my limited sailing experience I don't remember any seams at right angles to the groove. From what you describe the replacement is not fabricated correctly (because they added bulky seams) , and should not be marketed as a direct replacement.

AMC likes this.
  6. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

Remove the channel from the popup. Install the canvas into the channel where it is easier to work with. I would even consider cutting the channel into multiple pieces to make it easier to work with. Then install them both back in place as an assembly. If you don't want to do that, use some 1 inch aluminum strip, use the fold over method and reinstall the canvas without the channel. More modern popups do it this way.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

It doesn't slide in .... it pops in.

8. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

I have never heard replacing canvas described as easy. It's always a time consuming and frustrating.
    There a reason why places charge so much to do the work. That was true 30 yrs ago just as it is today.

And I would never start it with a short deadline, like Thursday planing to leave Sunday. The tight schedule causes rushing, mistakes, and increase pressure making the frustration worse.

9. tfischer

My internal 8th grade boy REALLY wants to make a quip about that.

10. Michael from Florida

Michael from Florida New Member

Not sure what the problem is I purchased my new canvas from Bear Creek canvas and was able to install it by myself in about 3 hours. I followed their instructions put the bottom in first then the top. A mallet and a large screwdriver. Talk to the guys there they are very helpful and knowledgeable. Good luck

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

A screwdriver sounds like it might damage the canvas, maybe a wooden spatula, and round the edge?

I mention this because my replacement soft-top on the Miata was damaged by careless installation, and had to be patched while it was brand new - grrrr)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    xxxapache and k-t-did like this.
  12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Way over my head. Guess I’m just to old to get it

13. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I agree with others that have said to call the place you bought the canvas from and ask them how to re-install it.
    Looking at our original canvas and there are no seams that come down to the bottom rail; there is a 4 or 5 inch strip of canvas/vinyl that the seamed sections are sewn to and that strip is what is attached at the bottom. So no bulk.

k-t-did likes this.
  14. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

People who are saying they don’t understand why it’s so hard....to pop it in...it’s not fabricated like your modern pop up replacements with the beaded rubber part that pops in. It’s very basic, a piece of rope in the hem. It does not “pop” in.
    I’m going to call them today. Removing the channel...I’m sure it’s possible but it is riveted on. I would have to drill out every rivet. Then, figure out how to rivet it back. My husband does have ability to rivet, due to his aircraft repair work....I’ll have to see.

I don’t think it’s irresponsible to think I could hang new canvas in a tiny pop up with no bunk ends in 3 days. Come on. Way to blame the person struggling, dude.

15. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

You know, your comment is completely unhelpful. Three day’s to put on a new canvas is a tight schedule?

16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Should be more like 3 hrs

k-t-did likes this.
  17. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Nothing unreasonable about your expectations. It sounds like a horrible experience that I don't wish on anyone. As near as I can tell from reading your posts, the new canvas simply has the wrong tolerance/size to fit your channel. That's on them and the sooner you call the better, in case it becomes a dispute with them.

Strawhouse likes this.
  18. tfischer

Whenever you tear something down, you run the risk of something happening that you can't get it back together. The canvas could have been manufactured to the wrong size. You could have broke something. Etc. I think what "dog" is saying is that unless it's absolutely necessary (like the time when our converter melted down and I was swapping it out the day before our trip) it might be best to wait until you have a larger window.

I do think contacting the mfg. is the key here, as I said back on Mar 8.

Good luck and hope you can get it installed and start enjoying it!

k-t-did and Spridle like this.
  19. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

I've never replaced the canvas before so it's just a suggestion, but I think I would spray the top and bottom rail with dry silicone before I even started trying to put on the canvas. Use the little straw that comes with the aerosol can and actually get it inside the rail.

Kamp-craftMel likes this.
  20. penny

penny Well-Known Member

sorry it's so frustrating! the channel looks like it could be somewhat crimped in places? as mentioned, any chance of widening the channel on the corners? any way you could attach something to the edge and pull it through?