So frustrated...to tears...with canvas replacement.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by k-t-did, Mar 6, 2020.

1. penny

penny Well-Known Member

OK! I have an idea that might work if you have a sewing machine that could do it and feel comfortable sewing something around the edge of the tent. there is a product made that might work. here is a link to it.
    https://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?file=customer/micorp2/customerpages/flex-a-rail.htm&Page=customer
    I'm sure similar products are available. maybe you could figure out a way to use something like this? i how does the top attach? same rope and channel arrangement? that seems like it will be next to impossible.

I don't remember ever seeing a rope and channel for pop up canvas. all of ours have had a flat piece sewed into the edges that slipped into a slot, or you pulled it up or down and slid it into the slot.

also good idea to call the manufacturing company and ask them what to do

k-t-did likes this.
  2. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

I was wondering the other day if you got this sorted or not. Sounds like not. :( Have you talked to the manufacturer yet?

My thought was to pry the channel open a little wider, using a plastic putty knife, then using a rubber hammer to squeeze it back down afterwards… but IIRC, you're dealing with a seriously vintage camper. Be careful to not crack the metal if you do that. If there's no wood close by, maybe use a torch or heat gun to make the metal a little more pliable first (and use a metal putty knife instead!).

3. txmnjim

txmnjim New Member

i hope you eventually get this resolved KTDid. i salute you and your husband for even attempting
    this project in the first place! i'm sure i would be in the same boat if i had tried...
    jim

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Hope you got further with this. Have you been able to contact Canvas Replacements yet?

5. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

SUCCESS GUYS!!

As heartbreaking as it was, after almost a month of being too irritated and overwhelmed by what seemed like an impossible task, and spring break in cabins/tents I went ahead and “undid” hours and hours of work. Pulled everything down, because I felt it would not slide anymore without damage.

I lubricated the channels and the canvas edge with white bar soap, then started at the bottom, and pried it in the channel carefully with a screwdriver. Once the bottom was in all around, I got both kids (thank goodness they are tall!) and they held it up all around while I pried it in up top. Took some sliding and adjusting the top to the bottom to get it to meet at the door, but it DID! And looks really good.
    I am still not 100% satisfied with the canvas. The rear windows are “off” and the lower one can’t be opened easily due to the bunk placement, the vertical seams really made this much harder than it should have been, and the contrast fabric doesn’t line up on the vertical seams.

But, the workmanship is good and it certainly fits.

Thank you for the support and all the tips. A lot of them really helped!

Now the fun part!!! Decorating!!!!!

Attached Files:

Camper054, Ruby Jean, Orchid and 9 others like this.
  6. penny

penny Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! It looks great!

k-t-did likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Looks good. The seam looks as if the person went on the wrong side of the grease pencil line. It would bother me also, but ots one of those things that if you didnt know or point out no one would ever see.

k-t-did likes this.
  8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Never saw a camper like that before. Have you used it yet?

craiglepaige and k-t-did like this.
  9. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Yay, you got it!!!

k-t-did likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Congrats, so glad you pushed through. Looks great!

k-t-did likes this.
  11. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Good deal. Was that Bear Creek? I wasn't very impressed with the bag they made for the awning and would hesitate to buy a full canvas from them. But not many choices out there.

k-t-did likes this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Congrats - glad you got it put in. It looks great.

k-t-did likes this.
  13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Looks fabulous!

14. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Only in the driveway! Isn’t it cool? I can’t find another one online....anywhere.

1380ken likes this.
  15. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Nope. Canvas Replacements. Usually, I’m pretty forgiving on custom/hand made stuff....but I felt like this was very overpriced for the amount of work compared to a pop up with bunk ends. Therefore, already feeling irritated over price I’m less tolerant of the little “oops” mistakes. In addition, they charged me shipping for well over twice what it actually cost, and sent it in a re-used box. Not cool. But I’m glad it’s done.

Spridle and sandreas like this.
  16. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

It's hard to find anyone that does truly exceptional work. My expectations always exceed reality. Not a good combination. Glad you got it all done and are now reasonably satisfied.

k-t-did likes this.
  17. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yeah - I am not surprised. When I was looking for my replacement canvas and discovered that they sold a genuine factory replacement part, and then called around and found it at a local dealer for half what they were charging that just rubbed me the wrong way. I think I called 3 different dealers, and not a single one was close to their price, although there was a couple hundred in difference between the 3 dealers even.

Happy to see a neat older pup with new skin though. Looks good! Enjoy getting out in it when things settle back down for everyone!

k-t-did likes this.
  18. Kamp-craftMel

Kamp-craftMel New Member

Food grade silicone was the answer to all my problems when we did ours from Bear Creek!

19. Kamp-craftMel

Kamp-craftMel New Member

I have one! :)

craiglepaige likes this.
  20. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Hi,
    I felt so bad reading your post. So I’m curious, did this all work out in the end? Hope you got to go on your spring break trip.