So...hard to crank. A way to lube before I try again?

utherjorge

Jan 16, 2022
I just got my pop-up dropped off, and to put it mildly....it wasn't put away correctly. The top was cranked down and isn't on all the way because it looks like the canvas and/or a cushion is in the way.

Admittedly, they were trying to crank it up or down on a very cold day. It will be in the 50's here Monday (5 days from now). I plan on opening it to see if I can properly put it away.

Here's the problem: whether due to the cold or not, it was very hard to crank down. I want to open and close it in a few days, but I don't want to force it and break something. Is there a way to properly lube the crank...or anything else I should know before diving in?

Thanks in advance!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
If this is a Coleman Fleetwood camper your lift system is under the camper. It uses a whiffletree system. Check out the you tube videos by the Coleman guy regarding greasing the lift system. It is extremely helpful. You can lube it with barring grease or something equivalent but some break cleaner and lint free towels may be needed to clean whatever is on it now. I had a mouse nest hiding in my lift once fall on my face so make sure you keep your head away as you pull the plate away from the lift.

utherjorge

Jan 16, 2022
It's a 2006 Fleetwood Destiny Sea Pine. I will look for those videos. I would expect that it's been some time since it was cleaned...if ever. Thank you!

utherjorge

Jan 16, 2022
Watch for nests in there, and do not crank it up with the pannel off. Thats bad, lol.
I assume I'll have some wee little beasties that made the trip from Philly for free. Yay!

I wouldn't crank it up without it...but what would happen?

Also...what sort of lube/grease is the stuff to grab?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I like red n tacky but any grease will do. If you crank it without the plate it will twist up on you, then you will have a mess.

Reactions: NLB

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
I assume I'll have some wee little beasties that made the trip from Philly for free. Yay!

I wouldn't crank it up without it...but what would happen?

Also...what sort of lube/grease is the stuff to grab?
Use the same “high pressure” grease that you use for wheel bearings.
You will see scrapes on the inside of the cover that the wiffletree cable attachment causes. Also put grease on the scraped area.
If you operate the device with cover off, it will try to rotate instead of riding on the cover.

utherjorge

Jan 16, 2022
Use the same “high pressure” grease that you use for wheel bearings.
You will see scrapes on the inside of the cover that the wiffletree cable attachment causes. Also put grease on the scraped area.
If you operate the device with cover off, it will try to rotate instead of riding on the cover.
OK, so in essence, the cover is what limits that piece from twisting, and having the torque get applied for the wrong purpose?

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
OK, so in essence, the cover is what limits that piece from twisting, and having the torque get applied for the wrong purpose?
Exactly.
You can use an old paintbrush,toothbrush or a gloved hand to apply the heavy grease. Fill the thread spiral, and a generous coating on the inside of the cover where you see wear marks.
PS- you can use old rags and a scraper to remove any old grease you find when you open it up.

utherjorge

Jan 16, 2022
Exactly.
You can use an old paintbrush,toothbrush or a gloved hand to apply the heavy grease. Fill the thread spiral, and a generous coating on the inside of the cover where you see wear marks.
PS- you can use old rags and a scraper to remove any old grease you find when you open it up.
How clean do I have to get the screw with the old stuff before reapplying? Does it have to be clean enough to eat off of or just eyeball it?

Latest posts