So how important is air conditioning?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by epcotisbest, Apr 5, 2019.

1. MintHillBill

MintHillBill Member

Depends on weather, Nice to have when you need it, like heat. My Son likes it COOL ( enough to hang meat), me not so much. We did August Bristol race without it for a few years. then upgraded campers, will not go back.

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Here in Canada I just don't see the need for AC in a pup. Now a TT.....that's another thing altogether. Not enough fresh air or air movement in a travel trailer.

3. mark/wi

mark/wi New Member

You can camp without air, but air, when needed, makes things a lot more enjoyable. I am not going camping to see how much I can take. I have done that already. Everyone should camp as they see fit and enjoy your time out.. Mark

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

It really depends on where and how you camp. I hate the heat - If I need AC to cool down the inside, then the outside is not going to be enjoyable. So, I don't camp where AC is necessary. It just defeats the purpose of camping to me. But I live in an area where the temperature changes from 115 to 85 within a couple hours' drive.

However, my home is in that heat. It gets hot all day long all summer long. So, if I want to do things in my camper between trips, I need the AC to be able to spend time in the camper. Repairs, clean up, reorganizing, stocking supplies - all that requires AC for me. The actual camping doesn't.

5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, it becomes more important as time goes by. I went for 57 years without it, but it was a requirement for the new camper. Try to decide how long you plan on keeping the camper, and think about how you might feel years down the line. I plan on keeping my current camper for 20ish years, which will put my close to 80. Even if it wasn't necessary now, I'm betting it will be when I hit 70.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

It’s only important when your wife wants it...

7. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Transplanted Buckeye here :) Grew up on a farm in Ohio, no AC. Camped a lot :)

Love tent camping, and NC is great for camping. In the Summer, head to the mountains! Nothing beats the fresh mountain air and cooler temps.

And absolutely that's the importance, when the wife is involved... which means fully furnished cabin with AC, her idea of roughing it :)

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

It depends - I usually camp in Colorado and we don't need AC here. However, we were in Arches National Park / Goblin Valley State Park last July and I sure wish we had AC. No electric or generator to run the AC and the temp's were nearly 110 degrees each day. I had hoped it would cool off at night but no such luck.

9. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Just got a/c in our house 6-7 years ago, so have lived most of my life without it.
    Have been tent campers our whole life, we would plan summer vacations to places that would be cooler, so didn't need a/c.
    Now we're retired and traveling all over the country at all times of the year. The last two years we just camped in our tent or if the weather was real bad, our van. First trip out two years ago, the cat's water dished froze every night while we were in Arizona. Finally had to head to Texas to find weather warm enough to not be chilled all day. This year, had an ice storm blow in over night in Ohio while heading down to Texas. Wasn't going to make the same mistake thinking Arizona would be warm. Actually saw where they got snow where we were last winter. Would have appreciated a heater on both those trips, but at least was able to stay warm enough to sleep. Probably b/c of hypothermia. ;)
    Decided with these extended trips not just being a 2 or 3 week vacation, we really wanted some creature comforts. Which is why we upgraded to a pup with heat and a/c. Now we don't have to limit where we go when b/c of the temps.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Here in Florida, a/c was mandatory for any camper we purchased. Even when we lived in MD and WV, a/c was needed in the summer months. The whole point of having a camper, over a tent, to me is to have the creature comforts.

CarlaCB likes this.
  11. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

You mean to tell me that your 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI does not have working air conditioning? I was thinking of buying one of those as a daily driver, but now you have me concerned about the build quality.

12. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Active Member

Our pop up does not have one, but we do have a portable tower air conditioner that we bring it is going to be hot.

NorthernSpirit likes this.
  13. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Lol Illinois, NW Indiana... Temperatures can rise and fall 20-30 degrees in a matter of minutes and the humidity can go from zero to suffocating just as fast. We have an older pup with a roof I'd never trust the weight of a rv a/c unit on. We actually removed a bench lid and installed a portable a/c unit and ran the drainage hoses out the side. We use it in combination with an old Patton high speed fan to move the air around and it helps during the dog days of summer and can freeze us out at night if we don't watch the thermostat. The last few summers with humidity soaring through the roof has been tough. I think we spent nearly as much time reading and relaxing in the a/c as we did outside. I never thought we'd cave on putting a/c in the camper, but have no regrets now.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  14. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I live on the California Mojave Desert. It can get hot around here. I do mostly boondocking in old ghost town sites. My camper had A/C when I bought it. Factory installed. No leaks at all. But thruthfullly, I've only used the A/C when I was at home working on the inside of the camper during a hot day. I would like to get a generator for use on the open desert. The heat is somewhat limiting as to where and when I can go.

15. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I had concerns when purchasing the old pup that we have, which did/does not have A/C. However, we have been out a few times when the heat and humidity were pretty high, and have found that a couple oscillating fans inside to move the air, have helped a LOT. I did also pick up a set of popup gizmos to reflect away some of the sun's heat. Have survived the warmer days better than I would have thought. There was one day we had to retreat to a nearby movie theater to get out of the heat, that was a welcome break.

16. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

I use to wonder, why would someone want to air condition a pop up camper?? Well I found out why in the Texas midsummer heat. At night after a cool shower, get to camper, it eas cool and dry, fell asleep easily. Was well rested the next morning. In Texas dont go camping with out it in the summer time. Especialky if you have kids.

17. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Active Member

As a follow up to my original post, we never did find the right camper to purchase for this season, so we will probably continue to look over the winter, hoping for something next year.
    I did find a good deal on a portable AC, although it is quite heavy. So, I now have an AC, but no camper to put it in. Strange turn of events.

18. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Active Member

Anyone ever use one of these in a camper?

98AE2771-518F-4308-A6A0-98FE246BE129.jpeg

19. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We used one. It was a 10k btu unit. Sat it on the counter and ran the exhaust to the screen, then zipped up the window. It kept the camper cool at night and not miserable during the day in direct sunlight, highs in the mid 90s.

20. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

How does that work for you in the pop up? how do you vent and drain it?