So how long will my battery keep those little fan/light combo things running?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Beornls, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Beornls

Beornls New Member

Hi all,

So question for you. My Jayco camper has those small plug in fan / light combo rigs that mount on the bunk end posts. These are the kind that plug into the 1/4" jacks and have a mono headphone looking plug on them for power.

My question is, does anyone know how long those will run off my pup battery? We are going boon docking this June and I was curious about it.

I have a 90 amp hour deep cycle battery and I tried to look up to see how many amps those things draw and I can't find any information on them.

Anyone have any first hand experience on this? We'd like to run a couple of them through the night when sleeping (fans only while sleeping) and hopefully our solar panel and generator can get the battery topped off during the day.

Thanks in advance!

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

From another thread, the fan draws .3A on high, less on low. The lamp draws 1 amp if you keep in incandescent, much less if you convert it to LED

Sjm9911 and Beornls like this.
  3. arge

arge Member

You can count 1.5a per light bulb if is not led and anywhere between1 and 4amp for the fan.

Beornls likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sorry can't help you on the bunkend fan amperage. I personally found those fans are not as useful and I use a O2 cool fan that runs on D batteries instead. My fan also has an optional 12v cord (sold separately) but I just use d batteries so I don't use the camper power. In just using it at night only, the batteries lasted my weekend trip and still had some juice left. I kept it on low power though.

JiffyPopJunkie and Beornls like this.
  5. Beornls

Beornls New Member

Thanks for the replies all! .3 amp on high will be awesome if that's accurate, I should have no problem running three sets of those all night and not dropping my battery too low. I've already converted all the fan light bulbs and the PUP bulbs to LED, so good to go on that front.

6. Beornls

Beornls New Member

We used these O2 cool fans all the time when tent camping. They are great and definitely can make for a decent nights sleep vs nothing at all. I just like the way these combo fans mount and they put out a nice amount of air.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ive had them on for a while when i bought my pup and ran it off the battery, i didnt use the lights. Swap out the lights to leds. I think the fans will run for a ling time.

Beornls likes this.
  8. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

You will have no problem. If you switch to led lights you'll see the biggest improvement as well. i've ran them all night on a 35aH battery with the fan on high. That thing is a life saver on those hot humid nights when there is no airconditioner. Also helps drown out any noise.

We then recharged the battery with a solar panel and would run it 2 nights straight with the battery being recharged during the day. It's even lasted a couple nights when we had a cloudy day but now we've added a second battery for a total of 75ah. I've measured it before and 300mAH sounds about right but if you are interested I could remeasure it again for you!

Beornls likes this.
  9. Beornls

Beornls New Member

thanks for the reply! I'm going to install one of those battery meters that show current amps being drawn before our trip, so I should be able to report back as well with somewhat accurate measurements.