So how many of you actually take your pups off road?

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by 2002Trooper4me, May 22, 2009.

1. Atoyot1031

Atoyot1031 New Member

The box on my camper is only 7', but sleeps 4 (wife & I plus 2 lil ones). The whole ground up build can be found here:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=32659.0

We do a few Moab (and the surrounding area) trips in the spring. We live in the heart of the Colorado Rockies, so once the passes clear, we are normally nearby. I'm trying to plan a Needles District trip next spring as well. As for Colorado, I've been on Holy Cross a few times on that side of the divide, and have been itching to run Chinaman's Gulch, Blanca, and a few others in that neck of the woods. Fall gets kinda busy with hunting, but I'll keep it in mind.

As for the Maze getting busy, it wouldn't happen because they limit permits. That said however, most folks don't have the comfort of a pop-up. We had the furnace, lights, running water, etc. It's a shame that we didn't have my new outside hot shower at the time... [;)]

2. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[:)C] We almost always boondock deep in the forest on blm lands or the national forest. We have a Coleman Mesa. Our clearance is good. I am just very careful.

3. angie_brown

angie_brown New Member

Our long holiday weekend plans fell through one year so my DH decided to take our camper to the river for the weekend. Our trip to the river wound up being a 7 mile trek through corn fields, tobacco patches and hay fields; a few of the places I was scared to death we were going to drag the bottom out of my truck!! Believe it or don't, it was an awesome trip!! Granted we had no running water or electricity for three days, we still had a blast.

We were close enough to home that some of our family drug out the 4-wheelers and rode down to the river and we fished, the kids played in the river (I wouldn't go in because we were surrounded by cattle, and well, NO!!) :shocked:, and at night we built fires on the sand bar. Would I do this again, NOT WITHOUT A GENERATOR, but yes, off road camping was fun. I will admit, though, by the time the DH got the camper unhitched from my truck, I was already in the shower. [PP]

4. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

Far, far back country is where it's at! I started out pretty much on foot with a backpack and bivy sack, did the country on a DP bike, finally got a Technitop Rooftop tent when I built my H2, and now with a 3 year old and dogs, got the E1. I call it candy-ass camping, but in truth I'm loving it. I am still debating how hard I want to go with it, as I am not as wild with my kid in the truck... but I want that pintle hitch anyway!

5. GetOutSide

Here's a pic from Elephant Butte Lake last month.

[​IMG]

6. camping_girl

camping_girl New Member

That is a beautiful picture!

7. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Ummm... you got a couple of brake lights out on the pup, there, pardner... [:D]

As I said earlier in this thread, we usually off-road with Rover. However, I've recently fallen in love with this Conqueror UEV 490. If I hit the lottery, I'll have one shipped over. Wait - we don't have lotteries in NV. Oh well - a guy can dream, right...?

UEV 490 Conqueror Australia off road trailer

8. yogi

yogi New Member

I want a UEV 490!! [:O]

9. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Me too - now you know why. I did a quick conversion - $58,000 Australian comes out to $57396.80 US. Then add shipping to the US. Now you know why I need to hit a lottery.

Actually, a very good friend of mine builds hot rods for a living, and he says that the two of us together could build something very similar. I have my doubts, but then again, I've seen his work. You never know... [:D]

10. GetOutSide

Why, thanks... I just got back from another boondock at Caballo Lake and got this shot you might like:

[​IMG]

11. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Now that's an excellent shot! Submit it for picture of the week!

12. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

any other pics of that E1 Love the floorplan of that one!

13. GetOutSide

Why thanks. I'm completely unsure about how to do that. [;)]

14. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

15. GetOutSide

wow, that was too easy! [:P]

16. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

We have an 06 E2 and have taken it off road plenty of times. That's what it's built for :) Love those evos!

17. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

When elk start hiding in rv parks I'm there .

18. ColoDisco

ColoDisco Member

Someday.. when I am rich and stuff. I am going to get one of those UEV's Best pop up ever..

19. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

New to the party here. We live in Arizona and are blessed with an abundance of National Forest land where "dispersed" camping is permitted. I do prefer the term "off-highway" because we do stay on established "roads," even if they aren't paved.

Tent campers forever, we raised a family visiting and camping the back roads of Arizona. We have seen all manner of RVs in remote places of the forest, popups, TT, 5'ers and motorhomes. While the axle-flip mod is popular, most of these trailers have stock clearance. We camped for many years with a family who had an old Coleman popup with the tiny wheelbarrow tires. That didn't stop them from towing that thing all over the place. Sure, it dragged on occasion, and once in a while something got knocked off. All part of the experience.

We made the transition to the popup a few years back. Momma wanted more comfort for the sleeping experience. I was hesitant, but ya gotta keep Momma happy. That was about the time the off-road style campers had just made an intro to the market and I was immediately sold. We chose the '05 Jayco Baja 10Z. Honestly, it may be overkill, but certainly allows for less worry and besides, it looks cool as heck! [:D]

A few photos from a spot I found overlooking a canyon on the Mogollon Rim. Found this spot years ago and when we finally took the camper up there, discovered it wasn't too level. Third photo shows some creativity in this regard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Like the mudders on the pup