So, how was your Labor Day trip?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JT2, Sep 2, 2014.

1. JT2

JT2 Member

Hi all,
    Thought I'd start this for a look back at the recent holiday weekend. If you've got stories, this is the place.

We made our trip to NW Connecticut from the Phila. area. Towing the PUP it's about 4.5 - 5 hrs depending on how long we stop in the middle for food and fuel. Our trip up was normal and without problems. Coming home, though, it was remarkable -- there was almost nobody out there, even at reasonable evening hours.

We expected heavy holiday traffic but the Interstate(s), Parkways and NJ Turnpike had very little traffic and we were able to make good steady time all the way home, a very unusual occurrence. We made it home (with the usual midway fuel stop) in 4 hrs., 20 min, possibly a new towing record for us. As an added bonus, fuel on the NJ highways actually came down 5ยข per gallon over the weekend. Woo-hoo!

It was a nice 4 days of camping, too, in the lush green Berkshires with only a little rain Sunday night. Hope your trip went as well.

/JT

2. dcel

dcel New Member

Wet! It rained every day and night, except for Friday during the day. And of course it was sunny when it was time to pack up and go home on Monday.

3. egapylime

egapylime Member

Our trip started with rain right before we left on Friday. It cleared off and had great weather when we got to the campground, although we got there around 8pm. Set up went very smoothly and we were done in an hour, which is record time for us. We discovered that our daycare provider was camping across the campground and so we went over to hang out with her family for the evening. It rained pretty hard that night and some things got a little wet, but full sun on Saturday dried everything pretty quickly. DH had to go to work so I stayed with the boys at the campground all day. They played very hard and went through their entire weekends worth of clothes in one day due to sand at the playground and water fights. (Efforts to get them to put their swim trunks on were fruitless!) My littlest got bonked on the head in the evening and forgetting how bad head wounds bleed, I panicked a little. Luckily one of the people across from us was a nurse. She helped me clean it up and find the source. He scabbed over by Sunday morning. I had been watching the weather all weekend because they were calling for rain all day on Labor Day, so on Sunday I decided we would leave that evening instead of Monday as I didn't want to put the PUP away wet. I took my time tearing down throughout the day while the kids played. Gave me lots of time to scour the camper and get it ready for the next trip. I was very proud of myself that I tore down, hitched up, and even backed it into my driveway myself! (First time doing all that on my own.) Imagine my anger when I woke up Monday morning to the nicest day of the whole weekend!

I was a little worried about camping over Labor Day reading everyone's horror stories. However, I had zero problems with anyone on the campground, other than one site at the end of the campground had numerous motorcycles running in and out all day long. Oh, and the people next to me had yappy Miniature Schnauzer dogs, but they did their best to keep them quiet and I never heard them during quiet hours.

We were at Wakonda State Park in MO. The showers were clean, the laundry facilities worked fine and despite rather unfriendly hosts, it was a very pleasant weekend.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Camped at Leo Carrillo State Campground. Cool in the valley and near beach also... Nice weather

5. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Mine was horrible. [:(] I have no pop up yet. Awwwrrr.

6. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Fantastic! Boondocking off Buffalo Pass in north central Colorado, at about 10,600 feet, we experienced all the weather conditions Colorado has to offer except drought. Warm sunshine, downright frosty nights, cool breezes, high winds, lightning, rain squalls, a bit of hail, and a bit of snow Sunday night.

We hiked north along the Continental Divide from Summit Lake, then dropped down to fish two of the high lakes. Cutthroats went back in the water immediately as they are endangered as a strain of the rainbow family. Brookies from a beaver flowage went into the frying pan. Saw moose, and the bull elk are starting to thrash the daylights out of bushes and small trees as they polish their antlers in preparation for the coming rut.

We first spent Labor Day in this area in 1973, when the Buffalo Pass road was not a place to take the family Buick. The old Dodge Power Wagon was built for this. Shelter in those days was a Eureka Drawtite canvas tent. Now the much improved road is a scenic way to get from Walden in North Park to Steamboat Springs.

[ALPU] [TV] :)

7. kmaxxxx

kmaxxxx New Member

Illinois Beach State Park - our shakedown trip with the new rig. We were right on Lake Michigan and we got in some good beach time and family game time. I was really impressed by the quiet that took over the campground by 10 pm - at least in our loop! No rain until literally 10 seconds after we finished snapping on the tonneau cover. A-plus weekend for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

It was a great weekend, it started Saturday as I had class Friday night. We were the only people camping at the CG we were at, Vallecito San Diego CP, other than the CG Hosts. We spent Saturday afternoon at the pool a few miles down at another CG. Sunday morning we drove out to some caves and spent a few hours exploring and escaping the 100* temps, ate a quick lunch back at the CG then back to the pool for a few hours. A nice quiet evening by the fire, a few shooting stars, and then a good breakfast and packed up and headed home.

9. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Warm and humid! I can't complain, though, we've had an unusually pleasant summer so far.

We camped all 3 nights at our local SP. Friday night, DS and I. DW joined us Saturday afternoon, and DD joined us all on Sunday afternoon. We did go home for several hours during the day on Saturday and Sunday. DW had some work to do at home on Saturday, so DS and I went home. I changed the oil in DW and DD's cars.

On Monday morning, DD left about 8:30 to go to work, and by 10:00, DW and I decided to pack it up because the humidity just wasn't fun. We were out of there by 10:30.

We had a great time overall. I'm ready to go again.

10. tanyaewa

tanyaewa New Member

11. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Had a great week of camping planned. On the morning we were going to leave, my girlfriends mother became very ill. Rushed her to hospital, and by midnight, she was gone. At least I was able to meet a brother from Arizona. Turns out everyone enjoys camping too!

12. egapylime

egapylime Member

I am so sorry to hear this!

13. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

We finally figured out how to camp with our 2 jack Russells. Life is good.

14. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Did not go, got a nasty cold bug last weekend and just finally went to work today...might try going this weekend.

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

It went really well. Uneventful departure after leaving a little early from work. Uneventful drive, arrival at Seward Military Resort in Seward Alaska, and setup. Nice weather. Got down into the 40s but the ceramic heater did nicely. GREAT day at sea fishing for halibut... we all got our two. It was my DD's first halibut trip and she did great! Got a couple of silver salmon too and a few black sea bass. Processed fish, slept again quite snug in the PUP. Uneventful pack up and trip home on Sunday.