So I found another camper that I think could be a contender. Thoughts/advice needed please

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Finch, May 13, 2018.

1. Finch

Finch Member

Hello all

So thankfully I posted my first find and was given some solid advice that steered me away from that Pup. Well, today I found another and it appears to be in pretty good shape. It is a 2000 Coleman Tacoma but does not have A/C. An A/C is on our wishlist but I'm positive we can manage with a portable unit. It seems others have had success with this method.

I assume this has the ABS roof that was problematic. Is that a deal breaker?

Anyway, I've been in contact with the seller and she has sent me some additional photos. I'll also post parts of our conversation. What do you guys think? She seems firm on the $2,000 price since it was just listed but I'll try again if I go check it out.

https://imgur.com/gallery/V38mvOR

No tears. No leaks. We know the family who had it before us. We've had it about three years and no problems. The awning came off but a new free standing one comes with it. I paid a couple hundred for that. It also has a portable potty.

Interior is good. Previous owner put a small ac unit in a window. $2000 unless we don't sell in a few weeks

No problem with title or tires.

Me asking seller what is on top of the roof in one of the photos and if there are any cracks.

I'm sorry. That is a storm door that we had laid up there and it was too heavy for my husband to move by himself so he popped it up with it still there!

We never saw any cracks at all.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It might be worth a look see, however check it good for leaks, I would look it over really well where the storm door is laying, it could be covering up a problem. remember they are trying to sell it and also may not know about any problems.

3. Finch

Finch Member

Ok, thanks. Just because I'm pretty ignorant on camper prices; is this considered a decent deal or average price? I'm trying to get a feel for this. Also, I think I just discovered in some quick research that this particular model does not have the dreaded ABS roof, it is aluminum.

I also just found a 2000 Coleman Fleetwood with an a/c for the same price. Seller said that he just redid the roof with flexseal. I'm thinking this model does have the ABS roof. Has heat and air, hot water pump, shower with all accessories, new rubbers and tires, and a clean title.

Decisions, decisions...

4. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

I am by no means a pro. But i have read many horror stories about flexseal being used. It doesnt last long and is a nightmare to remove from most i have seen. I have never used it before but look into it before you buy so you dont get stuck holding the bag in 6 months, a year or 2.

durhamcamper and DJS12354 like this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

As for the Tacoma. A portable AC will not do a fantastic job in a canvas trailer that size. A portable is about half the BTU needed. If the trailer is nice and solid, I would buy it and add a RV AC.

As far as the Flex sealed trailer...That is nothing but hidden damage. I wouldn't want that trailer at any price.

6. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Maybe a trip to FL is in order for the Bayside listed on freecycle.

7. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Looks nice. Check roof. I've found that we don't use the AC as much as we thought. Camp without it or bring a box fan and see if that works for you.

8. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Picture #6 appears to be some damage on the right rear. Good luck in your search.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This popup looks better and the roof kind of looks like my alumitite roof. If it has roof tracks keep an eye on possible leaks as it was known to leak through the screw holes. As far as AC I think you would probably be happier with a roof unit, because the portable units can only keep up so much in Va humid summer heat, thanks to the canvas but may not be a deal breaker for you. The biggest question is, do you think this floor plan would work for you? from what I'm looking at $2000 is a good price especially for VA. So it is worth a look see. Pay attention to the roof and look for any obvious signs of damage. My Alumitite roof did have an active leak when I bought it, but it was localized and I was confident I could take care of the leak. Look for any bubbling on the inside ceiling or discoloration. Feel in all cabinets and under the camper to see how the floor looks. Good luck.

10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Which ever camper you may look at crawl under it if there's enough clearance and check out the floor with a flashlight. While under, look at the lift cable that runs down the middle from front to rear. Some, like me, have a damaged/frayed cable where it winds around the winch. Make sure the seller operates the lift mechanism so that it easily goes up and down. A damaged lift cable isn't necessarily a deal breaker but you need to know it's condition before using otherwise you might break a cable on a trip (major bummer). I'm replacing mine in about a week as I just bought mine a few weeks ago.

11. Finch

Finch Member

Thanks for the info! Is there a reason the floorplan wouldn't work for some in this particular model or was that just a general statement?

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Many people don't like the wrap around couch in front of the bed, because you need to step over it to get in the bed. I agree that it would be nice if you didn't have to step over the couch. That being said the wrap around couch is the best feature of our camper. My family likes the couch and we use it constantly.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  13. Finch

Finch Member

Thanks everyone else for the advice too! What is the typical cost to have a roof mounted AC added? Ideally, we'd like to have one included from the factory but I also don't want to pass up a otherwise good Pup although it doesn't have AC. This seller did mention that that the previous owner placed a small window unit AC in the window. Would that be a better option than a portable AC?

14. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You should keep looking until you find a camper with factory working AC.

15. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

I would say between $600 and $800 for everything new, not including installation.

16. Dan from Troup

We have the same floor plan with the U shaped couch but can't figure how to get into the sitting area with the table up. It's so big ( and heavy too) and doesn't leave much room to slide around it to sit down. Do you use the stock table it came with or did you modify or replace with something else?

17. Finch

Finch Member

Not trying to ignore anyone's advice but I'm sure some manage just fine with a portable AC or window unit, right? I don't have any experience with popups (never camped in one). It is hard trying to find the "perfect" camper!

Dan from Troup likes this.
  18. Dan from Troup

Not having a factory mounted A/C would be a deal breaker for me because we live in Texas. Even in September it's still in the 90's and now it's nearly 90 everyday. Window units work better in TT's not PUP. Portable a/c units are big and take up valuable floor space. They're made for houses not campers. My advice; buy a camper with factory air.

19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Nothing wrong with the floor plan itself. Just not everyone likes climbing over something to get into the bed. In my case I would never be able to keep the cushions clean if both the kiddo and dogs used it as their personal jungle gym. However, everyone is different and don't need to worry about the same things I do. Every floor plan works for some and won't work for other famlies. Sometimes you just need your entire family in the camper moving around when you realize something might not work. I sat in one camper for 40 min with the whole family. I really was thinking hard about buying it. It looked perfect but when I kept on tripping over the kiddo because they put the couch accross the gally I pictured it raining during dinner so everyone was stuck in the camper when I realized it wasn't going to work for us.

20. Dan from Troup

If you haven't had a stand up portable a/c unit, we bought one a few days ago. They have to be vented to the exterior with a 2" exhaust hose that discharges the hot from the compressor. They come with a vent kit that goes in a window or permanently thru a wall. That's why part of a window unit is mounted to the exterior of the house to discharge hot air and condensate drainage. The portable units don't have a drain line for the condensate drainage but it evaporates thru the discharge flexible hose. You might can figure a way to vent this thru a window but does not sound conducive to me for a PUP installation.