So I found another camper that I think could be a contender. Thoughts/advice needed please

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Finch, May 13, 2018.

1. Finch

Finch Member

Yeah, I don't know what to do. This PUP seems to be in great shape but doesn't have AC. I'm afraid I'll be playing this game all summer trying to find the "perfect" one. I feel like if I don't jump on this one, I'll be hard pressed to find another one in decent shape for my price range.

BTW...the Fleetwood one with the flex seal roof sold this morning. That last maybe 12 hours. I wasn't going to pursue anyway since the roof was in question.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I used a 8k portable in my Apache for 8 years because a roof top unit was not an option. I figure a hardside Apache is better insulated than a canvas trailer. The AC in direct sun could only hold the inside temp at outside temp.....90 outside, 90 inside. I made reflective bunk and window covers. With those, the AC could bring the temp down close to 10 degrees colder. I made a curtain to close off one bunk. That helped knock off another few degrees....One of the first thing I noticed about my portable was the exhaust hose gets very hot and radiates heat. The AC was fighting itself. I made a insulated cover for it that helped.

If you could get in some shade, the portable did a pretty good job.

In a nutshell, I would not buy a camper without a rooftop unit unless the price was good enough to buy a roof top for it....I just went in my TT. Accordingly to the indoor/outdoor thermometer, it is 91 outside and 100 inside. There ain't enough box fans or vents in the world to make me happy in a sweatbox like that.

3. Finch

Finch Member

Thanks for this! That really puts it in perspective. I guess another one is crossed off my list which I will repeat is a shame since it seemed to be great in every other regard. :) The search continues...

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

you can always add a rooftop AC after the fact, but it can be costly to have a RV shop do it. I agree finding a camper is very frustrating process, and at times disheartening. For me it took a whole year but part of that was I knew exactly what I wanted but didn't budget enough for a good camp ready popup. This area costs so much more than others.

5. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

It can be a long process to find the right pup. We got lucky at about two months and a 2 1/2 hour (one way) drive to find ours. You will be spending a decent amount of $, so take your time and get the most bang for your buck!

6. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

I got lucky and found my new to me PUP on the 2nd one we looked at in person. Before that, looked at lots on CL. My original goal was to buy a TT but they were so much more expensive and still could be a money pit if one wasn't careful. This appeared to be an inexpensive intro to RV type camping but the more I read and study here it appears there's allot one can spend on these campers too. That's why due diligence is required before purchase.

7. Finch

Finch Member

Well, I have another lead on a PUP. It is a 1997 Jayco (don't know model name yet). A coworker's friend has it and is gonna clean it up this week so I can check it out. I don't know much about it yet and don't have very high expectations but I could get fooled. Gonna check it out sometime this week. He said he'd probably want around $1,000. Maybe this will be a hidden gem. I'm sure I'll consult with you guys before pulling the trigger.

Thanks again for the help and guidance.

8. Dan from Troup

Hope this is a good lead for you.

Finch likes this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We don't have two tables in the camper. Just one in the dinette.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  10. Dan from Troup

That's what I meant, we have the folding table that sits in front of the U shaped couch. There's not much room to get around the table. Do you slide the table out to sit down or exit the sitting area. I'm thinking about building another table that's easier to get in/out of the eating area.

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Don't get discouraged, finding a good used camper can be frustrating. At the right price not having an AC isn't a deal breaker. I wouldn't plan to use a portable AC or even mounting a window unit in a PUP, you'll be much happier with a roof unit.

The lifespan of a PUP is determined by how it's cared for. My 97 Starcraft is in pretty good shape. I've seen much newer units that were trashed.

Finch likes this.
  12. Finch

Finch Member

Thanks for the encouragement.

I just received a text from the person selling the 97 jayco I had a lead on. Here is what he said.

"Hey Donnie got bad news I cranked the camper up and the back portion of canvas had a hole size of a fist in it. Looks like maybe a squirrel or something got into it some how. Sorry I checked to replace the entire canvas was 905.00 a real shame cause everything else looks good on it. I am sorry about this I did not know."

Should this be a deal breaker? Can I easily repair this myself or have it repaired on the cheap? He originally told me he'd probably want a $1000 but that was before he discovered this. Sounds like it has been sitting a while in the elements. I think it's still worth a look though. Might not be as bad as he thinks . Thoughts?

13. Dan from Troup

That's repairable and a good negotiating point. Try offering 500.00.

14. Finch

Finch Member

Ok, thanks. Hoping to get to check it out this weekend (he wants to clean it up first). Hopefully it is not terribly trashed or anything. I'll take pics and probably consult back with you all. :)

Orchid likes this.
  15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

If all else is good, I agree with offering him $500 and see how it goes. Even with the cost of brand new canvas, would still be a great deal. However, you can probably repair the canvas if you don't want to spend that much, or even just replace the one section.

With working a/c, this camper could be the break you were waiting for. Looking forward to seeing it if all goes well.

16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Not a deal breaker at all. More of a price negotiating point. How is it equipped and how is the condition of the rest of the camper?

Orchid likes this.
  17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Hole in the canvas is not a deal breaker for me either. If the Jayco has the center seam check around the seam carefully and along the sideboards for signs of water leaks. Something I learned about my Jayco is there is particle board in that roof which swells and disingrates if water got in there especially the sideboards. personally I'm thinking it was a mouse that may found its way in. Those buggers can squeeze in the tiniest holes. Not a deal breaker if you can get the camper for a good deal and prepare to check every inch of the camper to ensure it vacated the property. [;)]

Orchid likes this.
  18. Dan from Troup

Go get your camper.

Orchid likes this.
  19. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Not a deal breaker for us either. We picked up our 94 destiny cedar for $500 (it is what the seller was asking) and it's canvas had more than one hole in it, though nothing huge. We decided the expense to replace the canvas (there were holes in just about every section) was worth it. We have had our pup for 9 years and do not regret making the jump.

Orchid and Dan from Troup like this.
  20. Dan from Troup

Love happy endings. Good on you guys.

Orchid likes this.