So I guess it's been awhile.

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by erich82, May 23, 2019.

1. erich82

erich82 Active Member

I used to camp alot, years ago (15-20). Figured it would be good to get back into with the family, so we bought a new popup. Our first trip was last weekend, and things have sure changed.
    Camping at a provincial park Bon Echo, Cloyne, Ontario), I expected it to be quiet, especially during an alcohol ban weekend, and camping at a site/area without services and surrounded by tents and a few campers with LED bars.
    Having 4 kids, 2 of them being 1 and 2, we go to bed fairly early as we're just exhausted by 8-9pm. Almost every 3rd/4th site had loud music blaring, dogs barking all night, people yelling. There were even fireworks. On registration, one guy was even trying to convince the attendant to let him run his generator all night.... There was noise until 12am and dogs on several sites barking ALL night. I couldn't sleep past 4-5am both mornings because of the dogs.

Man, this is not what I remember camping to be, and I hope this is not indicative of most campgrounds/parks now, especially considering this one wasn't even close to any city.

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Holiday campers! Seems like the only way to avoid them is to stay home. Before I retired I would volunteer for holiday coverage and take my day off a week or two later. Try a non-holiday weekend, probably much more peaceful.

erich82 likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree with above, that is so typical of holiday campers. Most of the time on non holidays, I don't have too many problems in state parks except for light pollution. There are some who get noisy but rangers here are good about stopping it once quiet hour starts. All bets are off if I stay at a private campground though. That's where the partiers go even at resort type places dedicated to kids. It's sad.

Sjm9911 and erich82 like this.
  4. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Thanks guys, that reassures me.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ill agree ,but i will think that every year there is more and more people, so that should transfer over onto the campgrounds a little. Ive been at some of those resort type places with my daughter. There was a camper that was loud and a little out of hand, it took him all day to set up his stuff, the next day they made him take it all down and leave. So it depends on the place i guess.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You should have joined our lil group up at Restoule..lol Pretty quiet up there.. you could hear some long weekend fun going on Saturday night but nothing excessive..

I have found that the party places on long weekends are usually the non powered tent sites.

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Your reasons are the main reason I usually camp during the week, less crowded, quiet, and peaceful.