So I was at the gas station...

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Sumoman, Jul 22, 2013.

1. campfreak

campfreak Well-Known Member

Closely related to Yellowsnow. You also could have said its in Hawaii, and you are driving there. [:D]

2. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

YEAH, we have to agree Yellowstone or jellystone. a lot of people just have no interest [RTM]in where we live or camp. I started calling Illinois Westucky a few years ago just because everyone was wondering what part of Chicago did I come from cause Illinois is Chicago is most of the state right? all of the state except for the st.louis area, right. [:(O]

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Banjo music??? Paddle faster!!!! [LOL]

Sorry, could'nt help myself...

I work with folks who really don't travel either and they go to an island every year for their vaction as well...

I aksed if they would ever drive across the country for a vacation, their answer was "That's why man invented the airplane to avoid boring drives"!!! [?:~{]

I told him to get in his car and drive to Yellowstone for his next vacation! That was two years ago...He did and when he came back he said he could not beleive the scenery they saw along the way! I converted one person and he and his familiy loved the trip!!

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I can't tell you how many people I've met that live and die without ever having ventured outside a 50 mile radius of their home town.

Say what you will, I think it's nice to know there's still such a thing as blissfully ignorant. I'm sure the government agrees with me. [;)]

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

5. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

Y'all need to quit telling people.... the park is crowded enough!! [8D]

A girl in our office could not believe why we would want to spend all that time driving (SC to WY)....she basically told me I was torturing the children.

6. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

Too funny and to that end, the US government is even trying to educate the US population about our National Parks by releasing 5 new Quarters per year.

Has anybody seen that our Quarters are now depicting 5 National Parks a year in the America the Beautiful coin series?

Yellowstone came out in 2010 and each year 5 new issues are released showing a National Park on each quarter. Similar to the Statehood quarters but now they're doing National Parks. They even are offering a 5 oz silver "hockey puck" of the same quarters.

Ever see one of these quarters? They make millions a year and as a collector I seek them out at banks and stores. However, many tellers and clerks have no idea about these quarters or National Parks!

They are hard to find but may be in your pocket change. I have learned about National parks I knew nothing about like this year, 2013, Fort McHenry and Perry's Victory National Parks, I'd never heard of those parks or knew why they are National Parks but I do now thanks to the ATB quarters.

Check out these awesome quarters and the beautiful designs showing off our greatest treasures:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=45002&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=45001&top_category=45001

Happy Camping and collecting!

7. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

My son got several of the new quarters at the mint in Denver. He is collecting them now.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

We collect the coins as well and are looking for them. We have several already.

9. OJeeprz

OJeeprz Grab the DOG and the Jeep - Adventure awaits!!

icsopris - thanks for the link!! Had no idea there were new quarters to collect!! My kids collected all the state quarters when they came out, will have to start with the National Parks now - just found a Denali in my wallet!! Have to admit though, haven't heard of some of those parks...will have to do some homework!!

10. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I haven't heard of those quarters! DH collects coins. I'll have ask him about them and start looking for 'em.

11. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hola All

I have had like conversations about this place or that place too and they can not under stand why
    we like pulling a Pop Up of all things "out to the sticks".

On the 14th of July ( 2013 ) we stayed at Cozad-Nebraska and the born & raised there ( her words )
    worker that I was speaking to was clue-less of why Cozad was started or when. After seeing her mouth turn
    this way :huh: several times I made it possible to stop giving her such information.

Every year we go to The National De Soto Club's Annual Convention and some of the others there
    can not believe it that we are staying in a Pop Up instead of The Host Hotel.

http://www.desoto.org/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4748

12. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I was not offended.

13. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

My wife and I believe there is an over-all acceptance of peoples ignorance and under-education in this country. Is not just the Yellowstone thing. I drove past a sign proclaiming "State Fair tickets our here"

Since when has this become a virtue?

14. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

For those of you who refer to "Low Information Voters" I bet I know what talk radio talk show host you listen to.

I was in Nashville one time, and made a purchase at Walgreens I believe, and had to cash a travelers check. The woman was asking me something that I couldn't understand. So she asks me "where are you from". I reply "Minnesota", and she says "can I see your passport!" Guess she had been asking me to see my i.d.

15. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

OMG!! too funny!

16. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

In a similar vein...

Back in Sept of 2010, I was discussing my vacation plans with a colleague at work. Described how we were going to California and would be camping at Carlsbad State Beach where the campground is on the bluff overlooking the ocean.

"Won't there be oil on the beach?" she asked.

"Huh?" said I.

"Isn't there a big oil spill?"

I was puzzled for a moment then figured out what she was talking about.
    "Uh, that's in the... Gulf of Mexico... "

17. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

A former girlfriend once asked me what state Wisconsin was in.

18. ND Mike

ND Mike Member

On our travels to the Grand Tetons this summer we stayed at a campground in Medora, ND. We encountered a young man who had consumed a few beers, proceed to tell us he grew up in Cody, WY but didn't know where the Tetons are. [:O] [?:~{] WOW!

19. Ludercrous

Ludercrous Member

When I visit family in New Mexico and people ask where I'm headed, someone will start talking about passports Or if on an airplane, "don't want to fly there and deal with customs". You'd think people "worldly" enough to be traveling by plane would have a clue…

2004 Fleetwood Hemlock, purchased 2013
    2012 Honda Pilot Touring

20. wapwap

wapwap New Member

On the moon! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]