So many Schumacher battery chargers!

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by BoomJammer, Nov 15, 2012.

1. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

Why does Schumacher manufacture and market SO MANY different models of battery chargers??? All I want to find is a good-to-great deal on a smart, 3-stage charger with battery maintenance functions (equalization and desulfurization). Is that too much to ask?

Can anyone make some good recommendations, please?

I do not have a battery yet, but I'm thinking of getting a Group Size 24DCC deep cycle battery from Sam's Club (75 amp-hour rating) for $70.

I'm currently considering the following Shumacher chargers, but I'm not sure they really do everything that I would like one to do, like make PB&J sandwhiches. :wink: But I like that they are $50 or less.

SC-8010A charger from Sam's Club ($50+tax)
    XCS15 charger from Amazon ($47)

Anybody have any other suggestions for consideration? I'm not tied to Schumacher, they just seem like a somewhat reputable brand.

2. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

Well, I found the manuals on the Schumacher website:
    SC-8010A
    • Does not say "3-stage", but does appear to have a "smart" microprcessor controller and variable amperage (unclear is voltage is variable as well, but I assume it is).
    • Is only intended for 12 volt batteries.
    • Does have a desulfation mode. :)
    • No mention of equalization. [:(]
    • Has an engine start feature (80 amps for 5 seconds at a time).
    • Charges with a varable amperage (10-15 amps) then automatically changes to maintain mode (2 amps) when the battery is charged.

XCS15
    • Does not say "3-stage", but does appear to have an automatic charging mode and switches to maintian mode (2 amps) automatically after the battery is charged.
    • Is intended for 6 and 12 volt batteries.
    • Does have a desulfation mode. :)
    • No mention of equalization. [:(]
    • Charges with15/10/2 amp modes.

If I can't find a charger with an equalization function, I'm leaning toward the SC-8010A. It seems a little nicer than the XCS15 with its engine start feature.

Anyone know where to find an equalization function?

3. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

4. mike1wade

mike1wade Want to Dark Side

As a retired auto parts store manager, my experience says that you will need an "automatic" charger that reduces the flow or charge as the battery charges up. For deep cycle batteries, a charge rate of 2 amps to begin with and trickling down to refresh rate is necessary.. Please keep in mind that a deep cycle battery needs to be charged slowly (2amps or less) for up to 72 hours to achieve a full charge. The manual chargers can overcharge your battery and ruin it if not attended to at all times, Brand name isn't always the important thing..:)

5. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

Is equalization the same thing as desulfation? Trojan's description of equalizing makes me think that desulfation is the same thing. ...in which case, either of the Schumacher chargers are probably sufficient for my needs/desires.

Chocho, I don't think that the Harbor Freight chargers are "smart." But I could be mistaken.

Mike, from what I've read, I think a 2 amp charger is insufficient for a deep cycle battery. Trojan recommends a charger that can provide between 10% and 13% of the battery's 20-hour AH capacity. Since most of the deep cycle batteries that I'm looking at (group 24 to group 31) have between 70 and 110 amp-hour ratings, that translates into a charger than can provide between 7 and 14 amps. Both the chargers in my original post are sufficient from that standpoint.

6. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

I've had this one from Walmart for several years.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-SpeedCharge-12-Amp-Battery-Charger/13005744

It's automatic and can be set for 2,8,or 12 amps. You can select it to show the voltage or the percent of charge. Works on deep cycle or regular batteries. Mine has been used quite a bit and still works good.

Sometimes it's a lot cheaper to order online from Walmart than to buy the same item in the store.

7. vike-king

vike-king My worst camping trip ever, was terriffic!

I use a group 27 dual purpose Exide battery . I've had it for about 5 years now and use it on my trolling motor and soon my pup. I use a Schumacher 6/2 dual rate charger (model #SE-82-6) that I purchased at TSC and have had no problems with charging or battery life. Good luck.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

9. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

I have the same one, the only problem with it is that if your battery is low but the unit still reads it as having 12volts, it will just go into "float" mode. One thing the manual doesnt tell you is that if you unplug the unit and hold the "amp"or "charge"
    Button while you plug the unit in, it will go into a forced trickle mode at 2 amps for as long as it is kept plugged in. The only way to get it back to automatic mode is to unplug the unit. Mine has never ever gone into desulfation mode. I use the unit, but dont know that i would buy it again....

10. ChocoChock01

Anyone familiar with the differences between brands between Schumacher, Black&Decker and BatteryMinder (all w similiar output, 3-stage and de-sulphate/reconditioning modes)? Any have bad reputations?

11. twstdpear

twstdpear Party like it's 2012!

I have a Battery Tender Plus that I've used for many years on my riding lawnmower, motorcycle, camper and car at various times. It's worked well for me and I haven't had any complaints.

These are specifically designed to charge a battery and maintain that battery once its charged. They aren't the fastest chargers in the world (I think only 1.25Ah), so obviously aren't the best for fast charging, but for maintenance they're definitely one of the better units.

12. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

Most automatic battery chargers will only cut off when the battery is charged to 100%. If you have one connected to a battery that won't charge to 100%, then the charger will keep on going. I had a pontoon boat docked at a marina several years ago and hooked up a charger to it and went home. I came back a few days later and you could smell the battery from the parking lot. I think it was low in water when I hooked it up and that kept it from charging enough for the charger to cut off.

13. billangiep

billangiep Member

14. ChocoChock01

Good reading and links!

15. rsdata

rsdata Member

I have the Battery Minder unit
    http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/gel-cell/BM12248.html

and have graduated from regular battery chargers to this smart unit a number of years ago.

I drag this unit all over and it has reconditioned a couple of discharged batteries for me and friends.

I also bought it at batterystuff.com and got it at a good price.

If you are still looking, I would check this out before making a decision.

16. ChocoChock01

I also bought the Battery Minder and went for the over $100 model 12248 because I have several constant mode chargers that just don't do the job. It has done a great job on several batteries.