So sick of rude loud people!

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by turborich, Aug 25, 2014.

1. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 New Member

I've never camped in a full service CG or during the busy season so I haven't had to deal with a lot of the problems some of you have.

My favorite CG is an old CCC camp that the Forestry Service turned into a public CG. It just has pit type toilets and water spigots scattered throughout the camp sites. It's first come first served, No reservations. You just pick an open site and walk up to the fee collection area and deposit your $7.00 a night fee in a locked container.

A Ranger drives through a couple of times during the day and evening it that's it except for the folks that collect the trash from the bear bins and stock the rest rooms. There is no cell service unless you drive about 3 miles up the hill so calling to complain about other campers would be pretty inconvenient. It's not really suited for TT's or motor homes so that cuts down on traffic too I think.

I take my vacation and camp in mid to late September-early October and I'm usually the only one there except for a few folks that come in for the weekend. Most of them are really good about adhering to the 10pm-6am quiet time.

In the 10 years I've camped there yearly I only remember one group of loud drunks, A few folks arriving late and setting up noisily and some folks with the loudest generator I've ever heard.

Not bad at all and I dearly love the place and my NTM pup will be taking it's first trip there after 12 more shifts at work. [:)C]

2. froggie

froggie New Member

I hate site savers.

3. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Site saving is really the result of campground rules, not the campers themselves. Don't blame the savers, they just want to reserve days that would be unavailable if they didn't save them.

4. edh

edh Active Member

So what you're proposing is a special section for inconsiderate b-holes? I like it!

However, I would settle for campgrounds simply setting up quiet sections and then enforcing those rules: no generators 6pm-9am, no radios or TVs outside (or audible outside) ever unless with headphones, no loud carrying on after 8pm, etc. I'd sign right up.

A family section doesn't cut it because that label tells you only who is there, not the noise level expectations. All else being equal, I'd prefer to take my chances being next to a retired couple or a young couple than a family with kids. Actually, the biggest predictor of problems vs no problems might be the amount of drinking that is (or isn't) going on.

I'm not against partying, but state and national parks are generally held to be for the relatively quiet appreciation of nature, and not for partying or yelling across the campground or trail to your friends. Would others agree? I'm not asking for silence, just refraining from unnecessarily loud talk and general, inconsiderate rudeness. To me the same rules that (should) apply in theaters should also apply in the wilderness and during the evening in campgrounds.

They could also set up a section for the party central folks, so long as it was not next to the quiet section. Even there, however, quiet time by 11pm people!

In the end, the real problem is that some people never learned to be considerate of others (or simply don't care).

5. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

The last camp ground I stayed long term at was Indy Lakes near Indianapolis. Nice quite park, great people who stayed there. The problem was the people who came to fish. They were rude blocking in campers spaces. And there damned camp fires who would burn pallets instead of real wood. And my asthema would kick in.

Would I go back there again have to say no. Stop the pay fishing and I would in a heart beat.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

I have been subscribed to this thread a long time, so I probably said this already but....
    Some people just don't realize how their voice carries. Not slamming on "City Folk" but their normal environment has a lot of noise pollution. You get them out in the quiet and some of them can't "tone it down" once relaxed.
    DD #3 is close to 30 years old. Of the 4 girls, she is the one who lives in the "Big City" so I think that has a lot to do with it. Places with a lot of noise, hustle-bustle, and constant activity is her "thing". Even her apartment building. Also, partly my fault, She learned very young if she had something to say she had to talk over her sisters. All her life she had to talk loud in order to get a word in edgewise at the dinner table.
    When she camps with us and we chat around the fire it still kicks in, I am constantly saying "Lindsay... HUSH!" She just doesn't realize her volume of speech gradually grows and grows until it can be heard many camp sites away...

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We're a "family with kids" and I like to think we aren't loud. Last time we camped was next to a family with 3-4 kids and there was a 13-ish year old girl there who could NOT talk without yelling. The entire weekend. The mother wasn't much better, gee wonder where the kid got it from lol. I didn't learn this until later but my kids actually went over and asked them why they were so loud lol.

In general it really doesn't bother me that much during the day, and they were quiet at night. In fact that campground was spookily quiet at night... after 9 or 9:30pm there was hardly any lights or fires left going. Huh? Geez that's early to turn in. Heck we were probably the noisy group by default after that, even though we were just talking around the campfire.

8. edh

edh Active Member

Didn't mean to imply that every family with kids is loud. Just that, all else being equal, I would rather take my chances with a couple (young or old), rather than a family or group.

Noise from kids is usually normal kids noise--kids being kids, playing, babies crying, etc. That doesn't bother me at all. Screaming kids, kids blasting sound from various devices, etc, along with parents who don't shush them and teach them to be quiet in quiet places...that's something altogether different.

9. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Most of the fellow campers I have seen are families WITH kids. I camp with 3 other families and a total of 10 kids. Occasionally we have a grouchy camper near us that complains about noise at noon or 2pm because they need a nap or something but not too often. Other than being obnoxious, I let my kids be kids during the day and make sure they are quiet in the evening/night. If silence is what you're after, I can suggest a couple of desolate NFS spots or a few CG that have a no kids policy. Camping, for the most part is a family activity. After all, if all we do is shush our kids, they will hate camping and when we are gone who will we pass the torch on to?

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If someone is solo, do they earn less respect than anyone else? Camping is a family activity for many of us - including our family of two, but I also go solo. DH and I have been camping for over 25 years, and have camped in a pretty wide range of places, mostly public campgrounds - national and state parks, USFS, etc.
    I don't mind kids being kids - but screaming, yelling from one section of the campground to another, cutting though others' sites, etc. do not make for good camping citizens. BTW, such behavior from adults is known to happen too.
    We've encountered obnoxious behavior from solo campers up to large groups - no matter the age range, so I don't paint any demographic of campers with a broad brush. We've even encountered it in the back country (one glaring example was a group that had pitched camp across the trail).

11. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

I realize our "group" sometimes gets loud. Not making excuses, but I do have an issue that causes me to be loud.I am really hard of hearing in my right ear, and as a result, I talk louder than most people do. When others are talking to me, they have to speak louder or I cannot understand them and it is a constant, huh? What'd you say? Could you repeat that? Naturally, this makes it a bad situation for those camped close to our group.
    So, though us older folk sometimes yell and scream at each other, it may not be because of anger, it may be because of worn out ear drums.

12. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

I guess it's time to go shopping for a hearing aid.

13. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

I'll second Thox Spuddy on getting hearing aids. Between my poor choice of ancestors and 60 years of competitive shooting i really need them.

I should have got hearing aids five years before I did. It would have helped my marriage!

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Yup, wife just mentioned the hearing aid thing to me this evening as well!! [:(] I know I ask folks to speak a little louder, but just don't want to admit I need them...

by the way, when I saw the subject I thought it said "So sick of nude loud people" [LOL] [LOL]

Guess I need a new prescription for my glasses!!!

15. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

hmmmm... Maybe your neighbors were jogging around and riding their ATVs in an attempt to annoy YOU into selling your house and moving out.

16. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

In the event that we have all-night rude neighbors we always take a bag of raw meat, usually offal from fish or chicken, and toss it over into their campsite and listen to them go nuts when the racoon's visit.

17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Have you actually ever done that? I don't believe it.

18. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

You can't be serious!!

19. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I was tent camping with a group of guys maybe 15 years ago across 2 campsites. The other site did that to us - sprinkled food all around our tent after we had turned in. Woke up to an incredible racket RIGHT outside the tents. Fortunately they didn't try to get inside.

20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

It is one thing to do that to your friends and another to do it to strangers. You need to be careful when messing with strangers, you don't know what they are capable of doing.