So so close!

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by CampingFam, Apr 11, 2013.

1. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

Okay camping community, we have been looking for over a few months now at a camper that would satisfy the needs of the fam.

Previous thread: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=67855.0

We have narrowed it down to 4 models.

There are two major decisions to make between the 4 models. The first, to have the travel deck or not to have the travel deck. I would say having it would be a huge advantage. We would be able to put our RZR on it, we could put bikes and a lot of other toys on it as well. The disadvantage is that we are now looking at towing about a 30' trailer instead of a 22' trailer. As much as we love the challenge of navigating camp grounds with large trailers, it is something that we are questioning. Also, it appears a lot of sites are limited to 30'. The trailers with the decks extend to about 34' open. What are your thoughts on this. Will it be a pain finding spots to fit the trailer and get it back there?

The second major question you all are going to love. Don't hit us, but, to get the folding camper or to get a hybrid [RTM] We like the idea of the folding camper because it will be easier to tow and in theory we don't have to worry about wind as much. To be honest, the folding camper we are looking at could be a hybrid for how big it is! We like the hybrid because setup is much easier. The concern is again size and also driving if the winds are bad. We will be making a lot of our trips through the mountains of CO to CA. Lots of wind is very possible. We do know that many people drive with TT everywhere and it's probably just a matter of being cautious. We do like the idea of being able to pull over on the side of the road and for the kids to run in the back to go to the bathroom. Again, not the biggest deal, but that's where we are with our decision.

So here are the candidates.

Rockwood HW316TH
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/PopUpCampers/RockwoodTent/default.aspx?model=rktc&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=220&RVType=TNT

Rockwood Roo 21SSL
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/HybridTravelTrailers/Roo/default.aspx?model=roo&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=4010&RVType=HYT

Rockwood HW296
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/PopUpCampers/RockwoodTent/default.aspx?model=rktc&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=101&RVType=TNT

Rockwood Roo 21SS
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/HybridTravelTrailers/Roo/default.aspx?model=roo&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=4009&RVType=HYT

The prices are in our range and obviously the popups feel better for price, but for an investment of fun, we want to get the right RV.

So, what are your thoughts?

2. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

You have some nice units to chose from. We looked at both of the HTT's you have listed and found them to be real nice. We did walk through both of the models and commented on the interior room with them. But we had a weight limit to stick to and settled on a Jayco x23b.

Good luck on your choice.

3. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I'd pick the HW316 if winds are a concern. What's your TV? If it's a full-size truck, winds won't be a concern until the Santa Anas kick up.

They are all huge. If you ride in the desert, the TT may get a lot warmer if you don't have an A/C running.

Weight can be an issue, too.

4. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

5. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Duramax. I think it has the new bigger hitch on it as well.

6. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

Just my opinion but if i had a Razor, it would be a pup with a deck! [:D]

7. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

Soooo, we pulled the trigger. We actually went with a model we didn't have listed, 233S. After looking at all the different options it was clear that with the kids this was the right choice. It has three dedicated beds, storage, and a big refrigerator. Thursday we pick it up. I'll be sure to post some pics. In the meantime, here is the link to the pictures from the dealer.

http://www.thegreatoutdoorsrv.com/rockwood/roo-233s

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

WOW!!!! VERY, VERY nice looking unit. Rather heavy though. Would come close to the max on my Sierra WT 1500.

9. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

It seems like we can weight her down a bit, but with the Diesel I can pull 13,000 pounds on the hitch.

10. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

That one sure is pretty

11. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I like the pics the dealer had of your new house, but where are the dealer's pics of the trailer? LOL
    P.s. Congrats!

12. Pop up Pooley

Pop up Pooley New Member

It's beautiful -congrats!

13. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

Nice choice. Good luck with it.

14. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Loved the pics! Gorgeous! Funny how the first pic shows everything closed, the second shows everything open. On the last pic of the toilet, I actually expected the next pic to show the lid up!!! [LOL]. [LOL]

15. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Thats a nice trailer, are you just going to put the RZR in the bed of the truck?

16. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

I think you'll enjoy the camper's set up and take down time better. You should not have to worry about wind with the 3/4 ton truck. If you are that concerned get a sway bar installed. Problem solved! Enjoy.