so Thanksgiving camping must not be as popular as I imagined!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by lksdrinker, Dec 2, 2019.

1. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Just got back from our thanksgiving camping trip. We stayed at the Jellystone in Hayes, VA (gloucester point). Family had a great time and another family came to hang out with us for the last 2 days including a trip to bush gardens.

I was amazed at how few people were actually camping though. We arrived late Tuesday and other than maybe 1 or 2 seasonal campers we were the only ones there. I think 3 other families arrived on Wednesday, 1 more on Thursday and 1 more Friday. We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves....and the lonely employee said this was the busiest they've ever been for Thanksgiving!

One of the other families mentioned that they camp ever single holiday no questions asked. I couldn't get a straight answer from them if they typically see busier campgrounds on holidays though.

Either way we had a good enough time that I think we will always try to camp for thanksgiving in the future....maybe a bit further south/warmer next year though.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I've done both Thanksgiving and Christmas camping and it's usually very quiet at the campgrounds.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I stay off the roads due to the holiday traffic etc. I think a lot of people have the same thoughts that I do.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I would guess most people would rather be home with their families.

jnc likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Seeing as the rest of my family aren’t huge cold weather campers and, well very traditional we stay home for the holidays. Its hard enough to get everyone together to come home, it would be dang near impossible if it’s a destination trip. Besides my mom loves to go all out for thanksgiving, cooks for an army even though it’s usually just the immediate family. She shines during the holidays when she has the family together, I can’t take that away.

neighbormike and Camper054 like this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It may depend on the section of the continent, distance from populated areas, weather predictions, etc.
    We live in ABQ, NM, where the weather can be great to hideous for Thanksgiving - for us, the worry can be the road conditions from here to there and back. If we had planned a trip to the west this year, it would have been dicey enough that we'd have canceled, since a storm tracked along I-40 at the time we'd have been traveling. [ABQ had a record snowfall for Thanksgiving, around 4" at the airport, previous record in the '30s had been 1-1/2"; friends got around 8". We had an ice lump in the driveway when we got home.]
    Several years ago, we went to SE NM, and the campground had a few people in it. We came home a day early, a bad winter storm had gone much farther south than expected and we were dealing with lows in the teens and high winds.
    We've been meeting friends at AZ SPs for the last 4 Thanksgivings. The previous 3, the campgrounds were full, often with large family gatherings in each site. In addition to the holiday campers, snowbird season is usually beginning too, so some of those folks have been in the campgrounds.
    This year, the campground near Tucson was fully reserved, but never did fill, and actually quite a few left - high wind, fallen branches, heavy rain (with wind). Those depending on canopies, EZ-ups and the like were out of luck. Our wind wall shredded, but we got the shelters down before more damage occurred. Courtenay said there were remains of EZ-up frames etc. in the dumpster. The popups I'd seen in our loop left, and the tents were gone too. (It was bad enough we hoped the people in a couple of the small tents took shelter with the people in the larger rig in the same site.)
    We're hoping the weather is better next year, if we have another one like this year, we'll go back to going to our friends' house for the holiday.

7. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Yeah we tried to skip the traffic as much as possible. Started the trip Tuesday and came home Saturday (which was a day earlier than planned to avoid breaking camp and driving home in the rain/potential snow).

Brought the only family members that mattered on the trip which allowed us to avoid dealing with the rest.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Before I retired Big Bend NP and Padre Island National Seashore were always close to capacity during Thanksgiving week. I don't know about the state parks, Big Bend and PINS were always our Thanksgiving camping destinations. One of the rangers at Big Bend told us it was their busiest week of the year. If you wanted back country camping you had to have your permits by Monday morning or you'd be stuck in Cottonwood.

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

[:D] Most my family don’t camp.

10. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I'd love to camp over thanksgiving, but my wife's a fair weather camper, so that puts the kibosh on that.....

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have one family branch that camps every year around Thanksgiving. They go to the ocean and clam dig and enjoy the family group. Then they go home and everyone splits between their various family groups for the actual holiday. It's nice for them to all be together every year without upsetting inlaws, etc.

I camped over Tday when I worked because it was an easy 4-day minimum trip and I split from a small family. Last year, I loaded the dogs and bird in the clipper and drove it to work that Wednesday. As soon as we got the go ahead to leave early, I was in the clipper driving off to camp. Now that I'm retired, it doesn't really matter when I go - holidays only matter during peak season and that's to avoid them.

12. txballer

txballer New Member

We stayed in Atlanta State Park in NE Texas and it was fairly quiet. The loop we stayed in was half full and really quite. We spent 4 days at the campsite and had really good weather for the most part.

13. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Tried to get a site is several parks in central fla and all were taken! So i went to a couple of them and they were half empty..... The ranger said folks reserve and then dont show. So that means the rest of us cant camp

BillyMc likes this.
  14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Camped there for spring break 2018. Most of the time it was windy, rainy, and cold. Spring break 2019 we went to Florida.

The warmer the climate you wish to camp for Thanksgiving the harder it will be to get a site.

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We just came back from fl. You got that right. CG was full.

16. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

We actually left Thanksgiving morning headed for Lost Dutchman SP I-40 was snow-packed and icy until just west of Grants. We arrived at LDSP without incident. That evening we had 67 mph gusts that rocked the camper so bad at times we didn't get much sleep not to mention the 6 tents that where in the campground where collapsed and broken as well as it rained all night. Friday and Saturday were absolutely wonderful. It was a awesome Thanksgiving weekend.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@bearman512 - Love Lost Dutchman, but not sure we would have braved the roads. We left on Tuesday, next year we plan to leave Sunday for Patagonia SP.
    We have no idea how high the winds were, they blew for many hours over 3 days. There was at least one micro-burst, and there were a few times we wondered if we'd be on the stabs and/or tongue jack when it was over.

bearman512 likes this.
  18. MikeRegas

MikeRegas New Member

We camped in Fall Creek Falls, TN the campground filled up after Thanksgiving which was surprising to me. We started taking a weeklong Thanksgiving camping trip last year and it was a blast. Figured we would see more doing the same, but enjoy the silence before everyone starts to show at the CG's

19. Wolf12107

Wolf12107 New Member

My parents camp every Thanksgiving. It's our go to. In fact I was there when i finally found the camper I wanted and left the campground to go buy it. It varies from year to year where they camp. This year was not as empty as it has been, and not as full as it has been either.