So, what did you do for your camper, May 2014

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, May 1, 2014.

1. Mudfoot

Mudfoot New Member

[​IMG]

Installed volt meter and switch as we are doing more boondocking lately.

Also repaired our outside mounting "cook table" that the previous owners let get rained on too many times. A few brads through the t-molding, wood glue, and a good clamping and it is back in service.

2. cprdnick

cprdnick Just Clint

Today, I set up my PUP for the very first time, replace a lift cable and some other lift system components, and wiped 11 years worth of storage dirt off of the interior. Tomorrow night is vacuuming and putting it up on blocks so the local PD can crawl under it and verify the VIN on Wed.

3. bfahs

bfahs Member

Rolled it out of the garage after a long winter.
    Finally got brake controller installed in the TV
    Cleaned out the odds and ends for a trip over to the dealer next week forms few minor warranty repairs.

4. hawkedshad

hawkedshad Member

Added the oil cooler kit to the TV increasing the tow rating to 2000 lbs. Should be easy towing now since the trailer is only 1000 lbs dry. We will find out this weekend when we take our first trip in 5 years. Just a short one hour trip to the Delaware River.

5. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

Dropped off for bearing work, brake check, and check of the AC fan which seizes up after not being used for a few or more months. Camper will also need a good cleaning. Really hoping to get out more than one time this season like we did last. Kiddos are older so it will be the DW, myself, and the 2 dogs.

Had a pretty good SPUT to start off the season, had the camper all hitched up to the TV last night and I put a chock on one of the wheels to keep the load off of the hitch. Was in a rush to get out this morning and, yup...pulled right out without taking up the chock. Fortunately a neighbor was walking down the street, noticed it as I was driving by, and called it out to me. Thought something sounded funny...

Scrape down the driveway and on the street and the plastic chock was trashed but otherwise no harm done.

6. okmuse

okmuse New Member

7. Phlerb

Phlerb New Member

Took it out of the barn, which is harrowing since there is about 1" on either side when backing it out....

Getting ready to install the LED's I got for Christmas, clean out the Antifreeze, check the tires, all the other stuff to prep. Still waiting on the new TV we ordered in March. A Ford Flex that is supposed to be built this week and be at the dealer's by 6/14... Can't wait!

8. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Cleaned it and packed it for our first trip this coming weekend! Wahoooo! [:D] [PU]

9. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

Since this camper is new to us, I bought quite a bit of stuff!

First, because of a post on this forum, I bought jersey sheets in one size too small for the camper beds (queen for the "king" and twin for the "full") and they fit fabulously!!! They are soft and cool. I chose the "warm taupe" color.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Luxury-Modal-Cotton-Jersey-Knit-Sheet-Set-White/15185291

Then, I bought these burgundy/brownstone comforters for the beds, in the right sizes:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Microfiber-Comforter-Navy-Blue-Eyes/13003816

They were a bit long but that was nice to tuck-in!

Hubby wanted a foam topper so I chose these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Zone-2-Convuluted-Foam-Topper/15581043

I only had to trim off a bit on the sides to make them fit right.

It all looked and felt great! I didn't spend a lot either and got free shipping :)

[PU]

10. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Replaced one tire that had a crazy wear pattern. Hopefully, repack of bearings solved the wheel wobble problem. Backed into garage to get out of 100 degree heat and sun.

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Removed the old Magnatek 6620 converter, replaced the front and end wood grain wall paneling on the dinette seat so they'd match the paneling on the walls and rear dinette seat) then installed a WFCO 8740 converter from http://www.bestconverter.com. (If you're wondering, the prices and shipping costs are reasonable and the service is quick.)

No more flickering lights every time we use the water pump or the furnace kicks in! I hated that...

12. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Started hanging up all the Coleman lanterns I've collected over the winter. I now need to build new shelves to store the things that sat on top of camper all winter. Hoping next weekend I can finally get camper out. Had more work to get everything away than I realized.

13. efehser

efehser New Member

That's where I got my new converter from. Positive review #2, can't beat the prices and service was quick.

Feeding the addiction one post at a time with Tapatalk

14. rhinodavejr

rhinodavejr New Member

Positive review number 3 here... best converter is a great company

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

15. mars21299

mars21299 New Member

Got bearings repacked, lift system lubricated, installed new wheels and tires (replaced 14 year old ones that were on it last year when we bought it[emoji15]) and camped 3 nights over holiday weekend!!

The bad: think we have a fried power converter due to the burnt plastic smell and no more 12v power on last night at camp....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

The camper I purchased this year is 14 years old too. The tires look fine to me but I have no idea the last time anything was done to the bearings. Was this costly? Should I get it done? I have no way of knowing if it needs it or not. The lift system too actually. It goes up and down smoothly but should I have it worked on?

17. mars21299

mars21299 New Member

I had everything done as precautionary maintenance as I had not history of what had been done by the previous owner and when (obviously they didn't see the benefit in new tires).

Everything that I have read here on popup portal during my winter of research suggests these are all things that need to be done to ensure a long life with less risk if failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@HappyFamily

Even if your tires "look" fine, check the date of manufacture. Personally, I'd replace the tires, since you have no idea about the actual miles on them either. I have experienced both the entire wheel flying off (due to not re-tightening the lug nuts after rotating tires - long story, but lesson learned) and a blow out on the side of the interstate. I would just as soon experience neither one again.

We also have had the bearings done at regular intervals. DH is capable of doing it, but our driveway, where the pup lives, is not the ideal place to do it. Seems to me it was about $100-125 at the dealer and Camping World (they fit us in on a busy day, after we managed to limp back to the CW after the wheel flew off - it knocked the cover off and the bearing grease flew everywhere).

We keep track of mileage on each trip and all maintenance in a notebook for the pup - we'd rather do things as routine maintenance than wait until something happens.
    We did download the information about our lift system, but again, had the dealer do it, since they presumably have a level floor.

19. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

One of our roof vents would work its way open when driving, so I made a latch using a 'plate display hanger' (which is intended to hang decorative plates on a wall). Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Decorative-Display-Hangers-Expandable-Plates/dp/B007NLQTK4

A little wire snipping and I had two hooks connected by a spring. One hook goes through the center metal strip on the vent cover. The screen has a convenient opening for the spring to thread through. When the vent is closed, the other hook goes around the vent knob. The spring provides just a bit of tension. I'm hoping that's all it takes to keep the vent from working open.

And....I still have the other half of the plate hanger.

20. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

#4 here. Replaced mine last year, but used it for the first time over Memorial Day weekend. Converter was shipped promptly and the communication was great.