So, what did you do for your camper, October 2013?

kmh1596

Wilbraham, MA
Aug 20, 2007
Western MA
BigBaron said:
That battery tray won't take more than one good bump before it comes down! Battery trays are made of steel for a reason.

I have to agree with BigBaron on this. Also, if you plan to charge them where they are and/or tie in the converter from the Camper, I would put them in a vented box somewhere, or add an outside vent to that compartment.

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
Central WI
BigBaron said:
That battery tray won't take more than one good bump before it comes down! Battery trays are made of steel for a reason.

I was going to mention that...and thinking of safety issues, I should have...
You could end-up shorting the batteries and a lot of sparks! [:O] [:!]

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
batteries should be on the outside or in a vented compartment. they will give off fumes when charging which are not good and it smells. In an enclosed area they will be flammable and I have seen batteries that have elxploded. You really should consider mounting them on the outside somehow and running wires up to them thru the floor. The ignitor from the furnace (if you have one) would be enough to cause an explosion.

Haybale

I'd rather be camping!!
Aug 22, 2013
San Diego via MN
They wont be charged in there, and only 1 battery will be on there in transit, it will be on the bulkhead side (the other will be in the flash light that has the built in 110v and 12v chargers). If I ever do add a charger the battery will be in a box and vented to the outside.

I'll add another support or two.

Thanks for the responses.

hotrodcamper

Super Active Member
Nov 3, 2012
When I bought my Jayco,I never got the step that hooks into the frame. Bought a good used one today. Was going to build a box,but that's something else to have to remember to pack in truck. The step will stow in camper.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
Im off work wednesday so all day in the garage working on the camper. Just lots of little things to do. Grease. clean lube and check. It is suppose to rain all day so couldnt be a better day to do it. Gonna pop it up as high as I can and put some 1by1 support posts in to be safe then tinker all day! [:D]

ArmedArtist

Oct 25, 2013
My dad and I picked up my first PUP. 1984 Viking Little Gasser. Got it for 250 bucks. Needs some TLC but I wanted to get something we could work on together. When I bought it, it was raised up but it didn't come with a handle so we are going to make one. That will be the first mod. 2nd mod was a freebee form the GF. A solar shed light. Plans to mount it with velcro so it will function as a overhead light/porch light or just take it off and use as a handheld flashlight. Love that I found this forum!

JT2

May 20, 2008
Sadly, like so many others, I spent about two hours or so today winterizing the beastie and putting it to bed for the winter.
We had wanted to get out for a one or two more weekends but life intervened and the cold nights are here, so the lines had to be drained and the perishables removed. Work included assorted cleanings and tightenings plus a thorough floor scrubbing.

/JT

Wildwoodflower77

Jun 10, 2012
Bought it a new TV. 2013 Grand Cherokee Laredo X in Maximum Steel with a factory Class IV tow package and yeah, it's gotta HEMI. lol

IMAG3601_zps31ec8f49.jpg

Tyreguy

Apr 8, 2012
Whilst enjoying my breakfast one morning before work last week, I learned that the temps were going to drop well below freezing into the coming evening. So a hasty unplanned foray into the pup that evening to drain the water lines was upon me. Arriving home and doing the superman quick change, an hour or so later, the pup was rid of water and camping gear for the season and quietly tucked into the garage for her winter hibernation. Sleep tight ol' girl.

And of course, within minutes of the tire chocks being placed, the table-top effect had begun...the various seasonal/patio stuff and related garage crap started to gather on top of her. [V]

BigBaron

Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...
Jun 21, 2012
Wildwoodflower77 said:
Bought it a new TV. 2013 Grand Cherokee Laredo X in Maximum Steel with a factory Class IV tow package and yeah, it's gotta HEMI. lol

IMAG3601_zps31ec8f49.jpg
You're really gonna kill some dinosaurs now! Nice!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
With gusty winds predicted for tonight, 35-50 mph (depending on which forecast we look at), we closed the pup down. I still have some unpacking and cleaning out for the winter, but things have gotten busy so it may be a week or two until I have a day to devote to that project. We figured it was just better all around to put the pup down for now.

NJGuy

Super Active Member
Apr 20, 2010
Camping at Dead Horse Point State Park outside Moab Utah. Kind of cold now but better than 100+ temps. Loving outstanding Canyonlands views. Nice to have electric hookup and heated bathroom.

PinnMcrack

Super Active Member
Aug 23, 2011
Parked Milly in her home for the next little while, worked on Simi...Squeak'ns camper got it lifted a little bit higher, but still hard to crack. Got all the soft items out for cleaning, storage and repair.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
raised it up in the garage to work on it I can open it 4 foot 11 inches . just need to get in there and do some work.

took the hot water heater valve apart because it was leaking when I turn the bypass on don't know if it's fixed it if not I'll get a new one if it still leaks. silicone the lift and fixed the curtains. cleaned the vent fan shroud and sveral other things. It raining like cats and dogs outside so good day to work in the garage [:D]

eprovenzano

Oct 6, 2013
Purchased a N2M 04 Fleetwood Redwood pup. Its been set up in the driveway and yes we've been driveway camping. I've gone through the popup and cannot find any "immediate" fixes I have to do. In the spring I need to repair the hot side of the outside shower, the PO disconnected it, and I'm looking at adding a roof vent. Currently there is no ceiling vent or A/C. I also need to address the drive side break light. It comes on very slow. I did get to check all the internal systems worked as they should. It got petty cold and the furnace definitely works well... I winterized the camper, and have it parked for the winter. I still to get a winter cover for it. I've made a list of "things" I'll search for over the winter months,

1.) 2" memory foam for the beds, just because...
2.) 2nd 20 lbs bottle for the camp stove / grill.
3.) A high pressure camp stove. (I already have a cast iron portable grill)
4.) A long hose from the 2nd 20 lbs bottle to the camp stove (I get tired of dealing with the little bottles.)
5.) Awning relocation brackets and poles. Still deciding on how I want to accomplish this mod.
6.) Outdoor kitchen
7.) Gizmo's

Some on this list will not happen until after we've had the opportunity to use the pup a time or two to see how we want to set up camp. Also some may never happen at all.... but it sure is fun to look at the other mods and think hmmmm I can do that..

kmh1596

Wilbraham, MA
Aug 20, 2007
Western MA
eprovenzano said:
Purchased a N2M 04 Fleetwood Redwood pup. Its been set up in the driveway and yes we've been driveway camping. I've gone through the popup and cannot find any "immediate" fixes I have to do. In the spring I need to repair the hot side of the outside shower, the PO disconnected it, and I'm looking at adding a roof vent. Currently there is no ceiling vent or A/C. I also need to address the drive side break light. It comes on very slow. I did get to check all the internal systems worked as they should. It got petty cold and the furnace definitely works well... I winterized the camper, and have it parked for the winter. I still to get a winter cover for it. I've made a list of "things" I'll search for over the winter months,

1.) 2" memory foam for the beds, just because...
2.) 2nd 20 lbs bottle for the camp stove / grill.
3.) A high pressure camp stove. (I already have a cast iron portable grill)
4.) A long hose from the 2nd 20 lbs bottle to the camp stove (I get tired of dealing with the little bottles.)
5.) Awning relocation brackets and poles. Still deciding on how I want to accomplish this mod.
6.) Outdoor kitchen
7.) Gizmo's

Some on this list will not happen until after we've had the opportunity to use the pup a time or two to see how we want to set up camp. Also some may never happen at all.... but it sure is fun to look at the other mods and think hmmmm I can do that..

I'm jealous of your ventless roof... Having seen and fixed much roof damage from vents, AC, roof racks, etc.. I would say that the less that you have to drill into the roof, the better. If I had ordered our camper new, I would have requested that there be *no* holes in the roof, whatsoever. Less chance of leaks, damage, or cracks.

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
Central WI
KMH said:
I'm jealous of your ventless roof... Having seen and fixed much roof damage from vents, AC, roof racks, etc.. I would say that the less that you have to drill into the roof, the better. If I had ordered our camper new, I would have requested that there be *no* holes in the roof, whatsoever. Less chance of leaks, damage, or cracks.

Also, older pups don't have a center seam...but I'm sure there is a heavy percentage of leaks from edge/corner seals! [2C]

hotrodcamper

Super Active Member
Nov 3, 2012
Need to fill LP tank. Borrowed one from pup for gas grill. Now I'll get empty refilled before winter. I like starting a new season knowing evetything is restocked and filled. Can't wait for 2014 season to get here!