So, what do you do when you are camping?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Breila, Apr 18, 2015.

1. EmmaLemmaLoo

EmmaLemmaLoo New Member

I'm a creature comforts girl, and cannot imagine a fate worse than having to hike for fun. I'm not a "typical" camper, but I do like to camp. I just have to bring along enough to keep me happy.
    I load up some movies on the iPad, I load a bunch of books on the Kindle (preloading them makes sure I don't need wifi), I bring a zero-gravity chair and have a screen room for the awning and AC on the camper. Hubby can outdoors himself to pieces, and I can enjoy MY version of quiet relaxation.
    Is it everyone's version of quiet or camping or fun? Nope. But, it's mine and makes me happy. So, hopefully he will find HIS version of camping and enjoy it.
    Best of luck!

2. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

We cook and eat stuff we aren't supposed to (think cholesterol on a plate) Drink stuff and light stuff on fire :D lanterns, stoves, charcoal, wood, etc

Jerry in MA

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Bring a tv for him to watch at nights... some campgrounds have cable hook up. You do not have to watch tv... you can stay outside with roaring fire while he watch tv... in a sense, he is still with you,

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would tell you husband to suck it up and be a man. He should be more concerned that your children are having fun on vacation and what can he do to make their vacation more fun. He sounds very selfish. I would rather be in a strip joint in Vegas by myself but the family wouldn't enjoy that too much.

5. Adam Roby

Adam Roby New Member

Honestly I do not really understand people that go camping just to bring along a TV and generator and electronics gadgets that make a racket. I can understand a generator for the purposes of charging a battery but not to run your TV/DVD/AC/Sound system... just stay home!

On the other hand, I can appreciate someone that is going along to be with their family even though they hate every second of it. Usually it is the woman in the relationship that does this sacrifice, in this case it is the man... can't really blame him for wanting to be with his family.

In my case, I do not have any fun if my wife comes along. She hates camping, and does nothing but complain about everything the entire time. I would prefer to have her stay home.

To each their own. Everyone's version of camping is different. That is why I just bought a 6 acre plot of land in upper NY state so I can boondock anytime I feel like. WooHoo!

6. bropaul

bropaul New Member

When we go primitive on the High Banks of the Au Sable river in North Michigan, I can sit by the river, watch it flow by, listen to the wind, watch the wildlife, and be content for hours.

Paul

7. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Fish most of the day, and sometimes into the evening. My wife reads and stays pretty quite. Then kick back by the campfire, and knock down some rum and cokes.

8. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

With 9 and 6 yr old boys, it is whatever they want from the time we wake up until bed! When I do get a moment to myself, I like to have cold beer and whittle. It's calming.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

For me it's all about photography. The entire trip revolves around that. When I'm not shooting or scouting I like to sit and read, or just watch, listen to and feel the wilderness. Late at night I like to have a scotch with a cigar and look at the stars.

10. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

I have tried repeatedly to like Scotch, as it is a traditional grouse hunters drink..... I just can't do it.

I discussed this problem with my brother who believes that a grouse hunter and, in fact, every hunter should drink Ouzo after the hunt.

He examined my dusty Scotch supply, and pointed out that a really good Scotch should probably cost more than $6 a quart.

11. tjmama

tjmama Member

Winery's - that's a fantastic idea! I get bored too sometimes, wine definitely helps with the boredom [CP]

12. Dive808

Dive808 New Member

Beach, SCUBA, swim, and take out the standup paddleboards (SUP). We love the water.

Attached Files:

13. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Depends on what there is to do in the area. We don't plan on anything but relaxing and taking naps. Anything else is spontaneous.

14. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

As a family, the main thing we like to do when we camp is go on "excursion." We absolutely love camping for seeing the local attractions. We never just sit around the campground - too dull for this family of 4 with a 9 and 6 year old.

So when I book a camping trip, my main criteria is "what is there to do around this place??"

15. juhesihcaaa

juhesihcaaa New Member

My husband and I take turns fishing. We go on walks with the kids. We take the kids to playgrounds. We both read. If we didn't have kids, we would nap.

16. Pal-O-Mino

Pal-O-Mino Life in the slow lane.

How I keep busy while camping - the first hour and a half:

1. Arrive at camp, get set up. Realize that the camp would work better with the setup shifted 17.4 degrees counter-clockwise. Advise family that we will be tearing down and re-setting up.
    2. Tear down the everything.
    3. Re-set up.
    4. Clean out fire pit. Cuss about broken glass and bottle caps. Scour the campsite for every bottle cap I can find.
    5. Walk to garbage cans on other side of camp to dispose of whatever I found.
    6. Return to camp and sit in chair. For 3 minutes.
    7. Tell wife I'm manly and don't need a vehicle, walk to camp office for firewood.
    8. Struggle back to camp while carrying multiple bags of wood/kindling/camp newspaper. Smile and act natural when strangers walk by. Refuse rides from passers by in pickuptrucks to protect my manhood.
    9. Dump firewood in heap on ground.
    10. Sit down for 3 minutes. Realize firewood is on ground.
    11. Stack firewood to keep it dry.
    12. Re-stack firewood to optimize airflow.
    13. Sit in chair next to firewood. Get bored.
    14. Play Jenga with firewood stacks. Restack.
    15. Decide to rig tarp.
    16. Set off in search of perfect throwing rock.
    17. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang tarp from.
    18. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang tarp from.
    19. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang tarp from.
    20. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang tarp from.
    21. Get out first aid kit to treat head wound. Treat dizziness with cold compress.
    22. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang tarp from.
    23. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang tarp from.
    24. Climb tree and put rope over branch. Try to figure out how to climb down tree.
    25. Fall out of tree.
    26. Tie other three corners of tarp to low branches.
    27. Tension tarp and notice unsightly crease. Tension another corner and see new crease form.
    28. Continue tweaking tarp.
    29. Sit in chair. Marvel in perfect tarp set up.
    30. Note wind shift.
    31. Realize tarp is useless if prevailing wind is from the NE as opposed to ENE. Rain imminent.
    32. Begin adjusting tarp as rain falls.
    33. Abandon tarp as intensity of rain increases. Attempt to put away the everything before it gets wet.
    34. Restack firewood under large tree.
    35. Realize firewood is stacked in low spot. Move to high ground. Cover with tarp which is now billowing in the wind.
    36. Attempt to find large rocks to hold down tarp. Sight is difficult with rain in eyes.
    37. Realize raincoat would be helpful. Try to get raincoat out of tent (camper) without getting water in. Soak sleeping bag in the process.
    38. Attempt to put on raincoat in blowing storm. Realize raingear will only trap the water in as I am already wet.
    39. Realize car windows were left open. Return to tent to retrieve car keys.
    40. Roll up windows.
    41. Sun comes out immediately upon rainproofing camp.
    42. Hang clothesline and hang out sleeping bags, all clothing, and everything else possible to get wet. Open car windows to help dry out car.
    43. Notice that centre section of camp newsletter stayed dry enough to read. sit in chair and read newsletter article on bear safety.
    44. Decide that hanging food would be prudent.
    45. repack contents of coolers and food pack into hangable, watertight drybags.
    46. Find a good throwing rock and a food hanging tree.
    47. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang food from.
    48. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang food from.
    49. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang food from.
    50. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang food from.
    51. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang food from.
    52. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang food from.
    53. Try to throw rock over perfectly positioned branch to hang food from.
    54. Climb tree and place food bag rope over branch.
    55. Begin hoisting rope, dodge broken branch as it falls to ground.
    56. Seek first aid for head injury due falling branch and food bags.
    57. Clean up contents of yogurt tub from inside of food bag.
    58. Accept wife's advice that it really isn't necessary to hang food.
    59. Scour surrounding area for evidence of bear activity. Find Raccoon prints in puddle. Attempt to convince wife that the Raccoon could lead bears to camp.
    60. Sit in chair and stew about immenent bear threat.

... So you see, my first hour is easily filled.

17. Montyrob

Montyrob Member

We took up Geocaching and I love it and my 7yr old daughter begs to do it daily in our area

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Do you always rotate counter clockwise?

19. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Really depends on what might be around the particular campground. DW and I enjoy a bike ride when it works out, or some lawn games. But often times she will choose to lay in the sun. I will be in some nearby shade, usually with a book and a cold beverage or two. Not a fan of the sun.

20. Pal-O-Mino

Pal-O-Mino Life in the slow lane.

Nope - I don't even always rotate. Sometimes I just slide things over.