So, what if I don't want that toilet?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by kudzu, Mar 26, 2021.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. kudzu

kudzu Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Sjm9911, there was one little toy hauler, Wolf Pup 18RJB, that had a sink in the shower.

[​IMG]

gladecreekwy and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. kudzu

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I would love that in our TT. We never use the shower. Much rather have a sink. Both would be nice

kudzu likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Never use the shower?....I use mine everyday regardless of whether we have hookups or are running on the tanks.

firepit and kudzu like this.
  6. kudzu

I love reading everyone's opinion. I do value the sink and shower over that toilet. Getting a sink in the shower would be great solution. Am just not sure how to do that aftermarket without risking the integrity of the shower walls.

7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I would love a shower and use it everday as well.
    Heck i would love a built in outdoor shower just to freshen up before bed.
    Anything that keeps me out of public facilities i am all for.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. kudzu

Any number of times we've camped where the public toilets are well maintained but the showers are disgusting. One in IL, at an otherwise nice park near family, has water coming out the shower that smells like sulfur water pumped up from hades. Ewww! It seems most people prefer not to use the shower in their trailers, for varying reasons, but I am really looking forward to having one. It just seems if they're building a bathroom they could add a little sink. I'd pay extra for that dinky, in-the-shower sink from the 18RJB.

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Lol. Yup. Never. Can’t waste the fresh water No easy way to refill

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I guess the size of ones tanks plays a factor in showering or not. My TT holds 52 gallons plus the 6 already in the WH. When I first got my trailer, I filled it up and then timed how long it took the shower to pump the tank dry. It was 43 minutes if I recall correctly. When camping on the tanks I can shower in under 2 minutes of pump time and still feel clean. We carry an extra 8 gallons of water in the TV, but have never had to top off the tank.

Sjm9911 and firepit like this.
  11. firepit

We always want more than what we have...Heck give me 5 gallons and a bar of soap and I can get the stink off me
    2 or 3 times....I don't need to light a candle and take a bubble bath...LOL.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    Sjm9911 and xxxapache like this.
  12. kudzu

My new trailer will have 50 gallons fresh water, 35 gray and 35 black. I can do a shower with 2 liters water & feel clean but not luxurious. That's utilizing a little garden sprayer. If we were dry camping I'd opt for that. However, a full 2 gallons would feel great. It depends how cautious and eco conscious I'm feeling.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. firepit

At the end of the day we are camping...You cant beat a fire cooked hot dog after checking throw lines
    with a hint of stink bait flavor soaking into the bun from your dirty hands!!
    Now that's camping!![:D]

14. AfterAll

AfterAll Member

Slim Potatohead on youtube removed the toilet and blacktank from his Outback which is a Canadian version of a Casita. He wanted to get rid of it for the same reasons you do. If you look through his videos there's one where he removes the toilet and he took that out and put a removable shower in its place. So it all packs up and out of the way, just he put a pan down there and when he wants to use it removes the other stuff. He also got rid of his sink in both his Aliner and that Outback. The Aliner he did himself, but with the Outback, he took it back to the factory to get the unit that holds the sink remade to remove it. It was all fiberglass and he couldn't make it look good if he attempted it. He was able to take the sink out of his Aliner himself. That's the thing that bothers me with the choices you have in PUPs or campers. They "guess" how you might want to use the space and if you'd never use something that takes space, you really wish to get rid of it.

15. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

bucket for us. new bag every time throw in the dumpster leave the bucket in the shower tent easy peasy, no blue gloves,everyone seeing your casette, or clean it when you get home good luck

16. Vegas_PUPpers

Vegas_PUPpers Member

We’re pulling ours. The logic is we’ll either be at a developed campground w plumbed facilities, public lands w a vault toilet, or our somewhere so remote that every member of our family is comfortable digging a hole. All options are perfectly acceptable for us.

The storage space gains will be so worth it!

17. firepit

I am shocked at all the bucket poopers on here.

neighbormike, xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Mind you, not my cup of tea to remove the toilet, but it IS doable.

Be warned though, this is not a quick and easy job for those that are not previously skilled in woodworking and plumbing. It CAN be done, and it MAY be something you want to do, but be sure you know what you are looking to do.

Just do it right. And it would be somewhat complicated depending on the specific toilet you have. Assuming it is a bolt to the floor type. Obviously make sure you have water turned off.

Unbolt the toilet from the floor, and the water supply line from where it comes into the toilet.

Physically remove the toilet, you may have to cut sealant between the bottom of the toilet and floor.

Once the toilet is out of the way, you will need to unbolt the toilet drain from the floor. Now you should have decided how you want to move from here. Either remove the black tank entirely, or cut back the line. You will need to cap off the line under the floor, or at least, or fully remove the black tank line and tank.

If your black, and gray tanks are tied together at the drain, you'll need to replumb that if you remove the black tank.

So now that the blackwater side is handled, you will need to remove the freshwater feed line. If you can access the back side of the wall / cabinet I would trace it behind, cut it behind and cap it off. How to do this will vary a LOT depending on what type of pipe / tubing it is.

Lastly you will need to patch and seal the floor. Make certain you seal the wood from the bottom or you will be inviting wood rot to the trailer.

kitphantom likes this.
  19. Othelzer

Othelzer New Member

So I grew up with gramma camping and letting me on everything . How to check propane how to clean all the dishes right away because space was at a premium.

The toilet lecture , not remove it just don't poo in it, in emergencies it's there then there is the sanitation procedure later.

Toilets stink up the coach or trailer, poop is potent , but having a pee spot in the middle of the night when your sick or in dangerous territory is a godsend. Sure you can cap that toilet. And a new rv dealership might have one they are tossing or the mechanic has saved one or two to keep the smell down while he is fixing one, drill two holes in a price of plastic and a tube of black silicone.

But wait and consider that trip to Texas and monazumas revenge. You can always use it and then dump and then toss 20-25 gallons in and a ride pod or a gain pod ( my fave ) and be brand new.
    Need to soak your feet in the dish strainer from hiking too much, sure is nice to have a chair.
    Do a scientific test, leave it alone, pee in it only no harm pee nothing that cleaning vinegar can't fix or CLR.
    I have lived in a 5th wheel for 15 years , this toilet has need used twice into a plastic grocery bag and disposed of immediately . Time will give you perspective and add knowledge and wisdom

20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Lol, spoken like one that has never pooped in a camper. To each there own, but dont speak of how potent the smell is. Maybe the smell you have is because you poop in bags? Just a theory mind you, as i have never done that, so i will not speak of it. [:D]

neighbormike, kitphantom and firepit like this.